E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good think I orderd my new Dunlop last week

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

No disrespect meant but why dont you both hash it out through PM's....
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i
Model Year: 2008

I wonder if insurance can deny the claim for worn tires? If yes, then his savings of $90 would end up quite insignificant... anyway, in my opinion it is just plain irresponsible to wear the tires that low ... just get used tires if you can't afford the new ones
Old 05-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by girmis

I wonder if insurance can deny the claim for worn tires?
Worse than that ... It is very likely that if someone were harmed by the operator / owner of a vehicle and disrepair or neglect to remedy a known defect was the proximate cause of the harm caused ... and lawyers and courts got involved , you can fill in the blanks from here, "Y_ _'re F_ _ _ _ ed !"
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by MRV99
First off your analogy about buying new tires because they were used for 1 month is just stupid and is a horrible example. Would your tires not still be safe when operating within the design of the tire? Running the tire to almost a slick and worn to the point the cords are showing and the tire FAILED because of this.

Second, You are missing the point of the responses. The OP's tires did not ware out overnight and I think it would be safe to say more than a month. His point is the OP had to spend the money so why did he wait until the tires were almost slicks and cords showin to make the purchase. The responses are to the fact that he/she actually let the tires get to the point of being very dangerous. Yes no harm no foul, nobody was hurt.... but the OP had no way of knowing when that tire could have blown. I would be very mad if he was next to me doing 80mph and his tire blew out which may have caused him to swerve and hit me putting myself and family in harms way. All because he wanted to save money. That is the point. His decision could have had greater ramifications.
I wish I could say that I cared a tiny bit what you thought of my obvious exaggeration to make a point. You apparently missed mine as well.
Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
you must be related or married to Diamond.

Not sure who that is, but.. uh no.

Maybe the sarcasm has been lost on some people here. If you want to continue attacks or whatever, just send it via PM. It's a win-win, in that the thread will no longer be clogged and i will continue to ignore it anyway.

Here's the point, which I thought had come across but apparently did not. OBVIOUSLY a lesson here was learned. Check your tires! The inside wears faster than the outside on the rear. Some people have found out the hard way. It's quite silly to be stranded on the side of the road because you didn't check the inner tire tread.

That being said, it's hardly as dangerous as the yellers and screamers are saying. Dumb, embarrassing, and inconvenient? Sure. So far, I've counted three people that admitted this happened in this thread (myself included, on my first 540iT). None of them involved flying debris, exploded tires, or accidents. You know why? because the tire doesn't explode from extreme overpressure (truck tires explode because they're at 80-130 PSI compared to 30-35 on passenger cars). It merely wears out and the tire loses its integrity and essentially you have a flat tire with a big long hole. Hell, I don't think it even damaged the rim. The only repercussions were delays in time, lots of cursing, and hurt pride, not to mention a very valuable lesson learned that you guys can learn from, cause I'm sure that a few people have read this thread and didn't realize before the uneven nature of the tire wear. Traffic continued as normal. This happened to my car when I was doing 90-100mph on the Autobahn. It felt like a flat tire but without the loss of control. I pulled over, felt dumb, put on a spare, and the winter wheels/tires i had ordered 2 months prior finally came in and i changed them.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

There are numerous posts covering the excessive negative camber on BMW's. The incident with the OP was due to negligence and not ignorance. There's a big difference between the two. If you're going to do something stupid and post it on a public forum, be prepared for the critics.

The majority of the member on this site are responsible individuals who enjoy sharing information and opinions without using adolescent name calling or so called sarcasm that no one gets.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
There are numerous posts covering the excessive negative camber on BMW's.
I did forum searches of the following, and nothing super obvious came up - mostly talk about rubbing wheels, rolled fenders, etc., except for "good think i orderd my new Dunlop last week":
negative camber e60
negative camber
worn tires
inner tread
worn inner tread
tire wear
tire tread

the fact that this thread is the only relevant one that shows up, i think, shows that it's a valuable addition, lesson, and warning to others on the board. wouldn't you agree?
nothing really showed up that would blatantly warn someone new to the forum about it.
The incident with the OP was due to negligence and not ignorance. There's a big difference between the two.
i must have missed in the forum rules or my driver's handbook where it said that i had to read every forum post created here before taking the car on the road. common practice dictates that people check their tire tread, usually on the outside of the tire where it's easy to see. Not many people, even BMW drivers, are aware of what negative camber is or how rapidly the tread is affected across the width of the tire. just because you or i, enthusiasts, know about it doesn't mean you can expect everybody else to.

the guy got his car at the turn of the new year. i'm sure he checked his tire and didn't expect that it would fall apart like that in 5 months. You live and you learn. i'd be willing to bet that you were surprised when you first realized that the rear wheels wore like that.

If you're going to do something stupid and post it on a public forum, be prepared for the critics.
if you're going to get indignant and lecture people on a public forum, be prepared for people to dismiss you.

The majority of the member on this site are responsible individuals who enjoy sharing information and opinions without using adolescent name calling or so called sarcasm that no one gets.
and i'm sure that those members are not the ones looking down their noses at others with snide remarks and mom-like lectures for making and sharing mistakes that, in the grand scheme of things, don't matter.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Members

......... when all of a sudden...

I dont thing so.
That is not an "all of a sudden situation".That tire was over due for months.
What is worse is that you only ordered one very used tire - what do the others look like??
You really like it on the edge.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

http://tyres.theaa.com/Tyre-Informat...n-Tread-Depths

http://www.bmwparklane.com/service/own.html?id=4236

http://www.mira.co.uk/News/documents...akingTests.pdf

In the interests of education, have a look at the attached links.

There is a massive amount of evidence to support the significant drop off in tyre performance when tread depth drops below 3mm.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KAF
http://tyres.theaa.c...on-Tread-Depths

http://www.bmwparkla...wn.html?id=4236

http://www.mira.co.u...rakingTests.pdf

In the interests of education, have a look at the attached links.

There is a massive amount of evidence to support the significant drop off in tyre performance when tread depth drops below 3mm.

That was an informative post and it now makes sense. Thank you.
I wish you would have posted that instead of belittling the OP.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is so typical of cheap people. They try to save on something ridiculous, only to blow money in some other area for no reason. You are the biggest joke for buying the dunlops again. They are the highest price and most poorly rated tire, esp the 01's that come on the car stock. You could have gotten two tires for the price of one and gotten a better brand.

If a cheapskate like you did some research instead of being lazy you could save money and not put others at risk you moron

Quick Reply: Good think I orderd my new Dunlop last week