E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good think I orderd my new Dunlop last week

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011 | 05:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by KAF
Tire starts with 8mm of tread.

Changed at 3mm means you have 'surrendered' 1.4mm of it's life. This is 17.5% of it's life.

So by changing at 3mm instead of 1.6mm you effectively spend 17.5% more on tyres, even on a $500 tyre by leaving it as long as you did you have 'only' saved $87.50.

In return you have risked your life & those of others by driving on a tyre that had minimal wet grip, prone to aquaplaning and could have exploded at high speed when the shoulder gave out.

If you need to save cash that badly, you are driving the wrong car.
Thanks, mom. If $90 times 4 means nothing to you, feel free to paypal it annually to me.
So he made an honest mistake (it happened to me too, hah), nobody was remotely close to being disturbed by the event, and it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the images you conjured. It sounded like it was more of a pain than anything else.

The moral of the story - dudes and dudettes, make sure you're checking the inside of the tire tread or you could get a pretty nasty surprise! Luckily only one of the rear tires went out..
Old 05-03-2011 | 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Dunooo..... Its like buying an Armani Suite and then wearing junk shoes..... Just doesn't make sense. If you can't afford the shoes, then don't bother buying the suit. At least I wasn't behind you when all your tread started spraying all over the road. I've been known to get angry when stuff from other non-maintained vehicles hits my cherished machine.
Old 05-03-2011 | 06:52 AM
Senior Members

I guess this is not different than your standard person going to a tire store to buy new tires for their minivan. They always ask for the cheapest tire which lasts 70k miles and then proceed to drive 80 on the highway in the rain. There are tons of people driving around in vehicles that are disasters waiting to happen. It just happens that the BMW next to you could be the disaster.
Old 05-03-2011 | 08:22 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by usmabmass
nobody was remotely close to being disturbed by the event, and it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the images you conjured. It sounded like it was more of a pain than anything else.
Famous last words.
Old 05-03-2011 | 10:53 AM
Members

nobody was remotely close to being disturbed by the event, and it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the images you conjured. It sounded like it was more of a pain than anything else.
Originally Posted by KAF
Famous last words.
? Seeing as it's all in the past tense, i think that, instead of 'famous last words,' it sounds like the words of someone who did it and realized that.. nobody was remotely close to being disturbed by the event, and it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the images you conjured. It sounded like it was more of a pain than anything else.

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Same thing happened to me...I still had some tread left but the inside edge of the tire wore straight through. Run flats saved me from something pretty nasty but I still switched over to ContiExtreme DSW's since my car is also equipped with a spare tire. I had checked my tires the week prior after my FTM went off... the dealer told me it was the cold weather, and without putting the car in the air I never would have seen the belt wearing through on the inside edge... It was a lesson for me to be more diligent with checking wear on these tires due to the negative camber in the rear...
Old 05-04-2011 | 05:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Thanks, mom. If $90 times 4 means nothing to you, feel free to paypal it annually to me.
So he made an honest mistake (it happened to me too, hah), nobody was remotely close to being disturbed by the event, and it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the images you conjured. It sounded like it was more of a pain than anything else.

The moral of the story - dudes and dudettes, make sure you're checking the inside of the tire tread or you could get a pretty nasty surprise! Luckily only one of the rear tires went out..
Your reply is idiotic. You're going to spend the money one way or another. Why risk injuring someone or damaging your car by trying to delay an expense. Tires by far are one of the most significant safety items on your car. By the pictures, the outside and middle portion of the tread clearly indicated that the tires need to be replaced. The moral of the story is, if you can't afford OEM tires, you're better off buying something you can afford. And if you can't afford tires, sell your Bimmer and take public transportation.
Old 05-04-2011 | 06:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
Your reply is idiotic. You're going to spend the money one way or another. Why risk injuring someone or damaging your car by trying to delay an expense. Tires by far are one of the most significant safety items on your car. By the pictures, the outside and middle portion of the tread clearly indicated that the tires need to be replaced. The moral of the story is, if you can't afford OEM tires, you're better off buying something you can afford. And if you can't afford tires, sell your Bimmer and take public transportation.
a thousand apologies, judge judy, i sincerely hope i haven't offended your tender sensibilities here on the internet.

anyways, my reply wasn't to say that it was fine and safe and we should all just drive our tires till they fall apart on the autobahn. it was in response to the lady wagging her finger at the OP with the other hand on her hip, giving the usual "somebody could have gotten hurt!" lecture. Save it. Obviously it was a bad thing that happened but i'm sure the guy isn't so base as to not understand that without the interjection of some random entity on a keyboard.

say i was in a car accident, nobody was injured, and i posted some pictures to show the damage. obviously i understand the risks and how it could have turned out worse. that means I don't need some nanny to start lecturing me on the obvious. if someone did that to me, i would just suggest eating some balls and leaving me alone.

my reply was also in response to her claim that the OP should "obviously" just change the tires at twice the known-and-accepted levels because it "only" wastes $90 per tire. it's not about delaying an important expense, it's about using the tires appropriately until it's time to change them. hell, i just put new tires on on monday, but i'm sure the tread will be down a bit by the end of the month. better order me some new tires cause i don't want to introduce risk or subtract from my sidewall height. i mean, hell, if i can afford new tires, there's no reason for me not to throw piles of money at it, "just in case."
Old 05-04-2011 | 07:55 AM
Senior Members

a thousand apologies, judge judy, i sincerely hope i haven't offended your tender sensibilities here on the internet.

anyways, my reply wasn't to say that it was fine and safe and we should all just drive our tires till they fall apart on the autobahn. it was in response to the lady wagging her finger at the OP with the other hand on her hip, giving the usual "somebody could have gotten hurt!" lecture. Save it. Obviously it was a bad thing that happened but i'm sure the guy isn't so base as to not understand that without the interjection of some random entity on a keyboard.

say i was in a car accident, nobody was injured, and i posted some pictures to show the damage. obviously i understand the risks and how it could have turned out worse. that means I don't need some nanny to start lecturing me on the obvious. if someone did that to me, i would just suggest eating some balls and leaving me alone.

my reply was also in response to her claim that the OP should "obviously" just change the tires at twice the known-and-accepted levels because it "only" wastes $90 per tire. it's not about delaying an important expense, it's about using the tires appropriately until it's time to change them. hell, i just put new tires on on monday, but i'm sure the tread will be down a bit by the end of the month. better order me some new tires cause i don't want to introduce risk or subtract from my sidewall height. i mean, hell, if i can afford new tires, there's no reason for me not to throw piles of money at it, "just in case."

First off your analogy about buying new tires because they were used for 1 month is just stupid and is a horrible example. Would your tires not still be safe when operating within the design of the tire? Running the tire to almost a slick and worn to the point the cords are showing and the tire FAILED because of this.

Second, You are missing the point of the responses. The OP's tires did not ware out overnight and I think it would be safe to say more than a month. His point is the OP had to spend the money so why did he wait until the tires were almost slicks and cords showin to make the purchase. The responses are to the fact that he/she actually let the tires get to the point of being very dangerous. Yes no harm no foul, nobody was hurt.... but the OP had no way of knowing when that tire could have blown. I would be very mad if he was next to me doing 80mph and his tire blew out which may have caused him to swerve and hit me putting myself and family in harms way. All because he wanted to save money. That is the point. His decision could have had greater ramifications.
Old 05-04-2011 | 07:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

you must be related or married to Diamond.

Quick Reply: Good think I orderd my new Dunlop last week