E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good News/Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i 2005 BMW 750li (wife) BMW K1200RS Motorcycle Harley Road King Motorcycle

The good news:
Just got my new 550i with sport package. I have to say that this is the best car I have owned from a driving standpoint. Previously had a Corvette Z06, and a Cadillac CTS-V. The BMW isn't quite as fast, but more refined and more fun.

The bad news:
Had the car out in the sun today and noticed that the dealer had apparently tried to buff out a scratch. There's about a 6 inch by 6 inch bad spot in he paint.

What are the odds that this can be repaired without re-painting?

This is an interesting and helpful forum.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

First of all, congrats on your new ride, hope to see some pixs soon. Secondly, that a pretty big 6 x 6 wound to your baby. I don't think they can easily repair without painting a good portion of the car. The paint must blend properly for it to look original. The dealer is going to be your best bet. Let their body people look and evaluate the best method of repair. Best of luck. I'm sure it will come out great.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by rfdjr' post='260043' date='Mar 25 2006, 08:05 PM
The good news:
Just got my new 550i with sport package. I have to say that this is the best car I have owned from a driving standpoint. Previously had a Corvette Z06, and a Cadillac CTS-V. The BMW isn't quite as fast, but more refined and more fun.

The bad news:
Had the car out in the sun today and noticed that the dealer had apparently tried to buff out a scratch. There's about a 6 inch by 6 inch bad spot in he paint.

Thanks.
Welcome RFDjr,
Congrats but sorry to hear of the blemish. Sounds as though it is is in the clearcoat. Since you don't mention color, etc. in your profile, we can only speculate. Perhaps a clearcoat respray might work, but, I wouldn't want to prejudge that.

Simply reutrn it to the dealer with order to "fix it, right."

good luck,

ray Hull
Old 03-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Congrats, and I think the odds are low.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='260053' date='Mar 26 2006, 03:46 AM
Congrats, and I think the odds are low.

well, I (from my point of view) think you guys are a great help ("let the dealer deal with it.......")

the thing you really want to know is this: get a life!! repainting will allways set you back!! stop moaning, live with it, it will get some scratches in the next months anyway.

never forget: IT'S ONLY A CAR, it will be gone in a couple of years and you will have an other....

(sorry, it's not personal, but I had to get this of my chest, following this forum the past couple of months)
Old 03-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

Congrats on the new car! Sorry to hear about the scratch. Did you buy the car off the lot or was it a special order?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i 2005 BMW 750li (wife) BMW K1200RS Motorcycle Harley Road King Motorcycle

Thanks for your replies.

It is saphire black. Bought it off the lot.

Not sure why my profile is not showing up. I'll work on it.

Thanks Again!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by denuyl' post='260056' date='Mar 25 2006, 09:01 PM
well, I (from my point of view) think you guys are a great help ("let the dealer deal with it.......")

the thing you really want to know is this: get a life!! repainting will allways set you back!! stop moaning, live with it, it will get some scratches in the next months anyway.

never forget: IT'S ONLY A CAR, it will be gone in a couple of years and you will have an other....

(sorry, it's not personal, but I had to get this of my chest, following this forum the past couple of months)

My friend its not only a car it is HIS NEW CAR THAT HE PAID FOR IT TO BE NEW, if he wanted a scratched up car, he could have bought a used one. When its time to turn in a leased car, they dont let you get away with anything!!!! Have them fix it perfectly, there is no other right answer
Old 03-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by rfdjr' post='260043' date='Mar 25 2006, 07:05 PM
The good news:

The bad news:

Thanks.
Congrats. Just make sure the dealer do a good job.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

Originally Posted by denuyl' post='260056' date='Mar 25 2006, 09:01 PM

wow someone sounds really bitter :thumbsdown: I mean can you imagine buying something brand new and actually accepting it not being less than pefect! that's like seeing a beautiful house only to buy it and find out all the paint is lead based or is chipping! I now digress great car, this gets resolved sooner than later!

Quick Reply: Good News/Bad News