E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good News

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
BMWNA Customer Relations informed me that all model 5 series produced in March will have the new Tire Pressure Monitor,(TPM),system that uses a direct method to monitor tire pressure instead of using wheel speed.
cheers
vern
Old 03-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But is individual tire pressure shown up like Audi? Otherwise, it still sucks
Old 03-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Silver grey metallic, Black leather interior with poplar wood trim, Premium package, Premium sound package, Cold weather package, Sport package, Automatic transmission, Style 124 wheels with 245/40 ZR18 93W ContiExtremeContact all season radials, Red reflectors, 3M Clear Bra, Samsung A920 Bluetooth Sprint phone with updated firmware (version ZB06 and ZB07), Hardwired Passport X50 Blue LED (switched from Valentine One). Build date 1/06.

Thanks, Vern. Is monitoring pressure better than wheel speed? It would seem to be more complicated, if it requires a direct link to the inside of the tire, for instance. How is this supposed to work, and why is it better?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Originally Posted by sc02492' post='255355' date='Mar 15 2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks, Vern. Is monitoring pressure better than wheel speed? It would seem to be more complicated, if it requires a direct link to the inside of the tire, for instance. How is this supposed to work, and why is it better?
It's better because you will have individual monitoring of each tire. In the current system if your E60 ran over a bed of nails and all wheels are losing pressure at the same time, I don't believe that the system would sound a warning (although I have been known to be wrong). In addition, on the current system, the system warns of a low tire pressure but does not tell you which tire it is. If your E60 has run flats, you would need to gauge each one to determine which tire was low or flat.

Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='255266' date='Mar 15 2006, 08:31 PM
BMWNA Customer Relations informed me that all model 5 series produced in March will have the new Tire Pressure Monitor,(TPM),system that uses a direct method to monitor tire pressure instead of using wheel speed.
cheers
vern
Ok, not the best news ever though?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

exactly why is better?
and if the new TPM has something attached to the wheel then more complicated=more failure senstive....

besides what is wrong with the current system? well only that it does not tell which exact wheel....
maybe it is just something new from BMW which will be cheaper to manufacture it is not always invention behind the updates
Old 03-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

It may be a legal issue. I do not know all of the details, but I belive there is a new law which requires a certain percentage of cars to have flat tire monitoring. It is my understanding that the BMW method on the current E60 does not qualify under the law. Thus the switch. Tire shops, for one, do not like the individual tire / stem monitors. Apparently, they break easily and then the owner and tire shop end up in a fight over whether the monitor was broken before or after the car was in the shop.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Cool its been reported here a while ago that as of march the E60 will have that now we kinda have confirmation... thanks.

It can be better or it can be worse... if its like the electronic dip stick and isnt accurate it'll be annoying to give inaccurate info. BUT for most people it'll be good. For a perfectionist like myself... unless the system is dead on accurate I'll be dissappointed. The system now is good for me. I check my tires all the time and its good in a sense that it will only bother me if theres really a problem.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

based on BMW's software programming abilities - just another thing to go wrong
Old 03-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Yes, you are wrong about the bed of nails theory. Adding new wheels and tires with equal pressure will set off the monitoring system. So your theory is out.

Runflats sound much louder when flat, also, you can tell that it's flat by looking at it.

Originally Posted by jchuan8338' post='255358' date='Mar 15 2006, 06:16 PM
It's better because you will have individual monitoring of each tire. In the current system if your E60 ran over a bed of nails and all wheels are losing pressure at the same time, I don't believe that the system would sound a warning (although I have been known to be wrong). In addition, on the current system, the system warns of a low tire pressure but does not tell you which tire it is. If your E60 has run flats, you would need to gauge each one to determine which tire was low or flat.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Quick Reply: Good News