E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Gone and damaged my car today.....!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.
Smile

Quite apt, that I posted yesterday with a link to a YouTube clip with a smashed e60 Here!

Then, today I go and damage my own car!!!!! It's not as bad as in the clip - nothing like it in fact, but I am still gutted non the less.

I was parked in a car park in an 'end' space. To my right was a row of 'Metal Posts' separating the spaces to a walk way. When I came back to my I was aware the posts were there. Anyway, as I went to pull out of the space (ironically being careful not to hit one), the last post was completely blocked from view by the 'A' pillar / drivers door mirror, and so................................................ you've guessed........................................... .....I turned right into the flaming last post. The impact was behind the front wheel on the front right wing and continues onto the drivers door. What made things worse is the fact that the post had a sort of collar on it which must have dug into the panels and which raised the car considerably, placing a lot of weight onto the drivers door! When I reversed, it was almost like slowly dropping down a kerb it had the raised the car so much.

Upon inspection (and I don't have any pictures at the moment as I'm too P****D Off to have bothered) it didn't initially appear to have caused too much damage apart from two large grooves through the wing and door. However, when driving and entering the Motorway it became immediately apparent that there is more damage, as there is a massive amount of wind noise now. When I reached my destination, I had a much closer look and have now realised that the whole door has been twisted and the door frame has moved outwards leaving a gap between the door frame rubber seal and car. Also, the panel gap on the front wing is larger at the front near the headlight.

Anyway, I've now called in at my local dealer who has confirmed a new front wing and door are needed. Total Price....................wait for it.......................... ?1700. So, here goes my first ever Insurance Claim - I'm fully comp with protected NCB thank-god! Still have a flaming ?350 excess to pay though - and just before Christmas! So now just going through the hassle of getting it fixed. As my local dealer (and indeed most BMW dealers it seems) are not classed as 'approved bodyshop's' to my well known Insurance company (basically from what I can gather their labour rates are too high so they use 'cheaper' outfit's) they won't offer me a courtesy car and say authorisation to carry out the work may be up to 10 days - what a racket!!

When I explained the car MUST be repaired by an authorised BMW Bodyshop their attitude changed and they obviously are trying to make it awkward for me. I guess they have cheaper labour rates etc. agreed with their 'approved' bodyshops which result in cheaper bills for them. Anyone wishing to use 'other' bodyshops potentially costs them more money!!!! Afraid for me that's tough because I don't want to risk invalidating the warranty of my car by having it repaired outside the BMW approved network!

You live and learn I guess, and of course no one was hurt and all that stuff, so could be a much worst situation!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Ouch, sorry to hear about your damage
Old 12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

ouch man sorry to hear but at least you did it to yourself and didn't come back to find it like that... that would suck I've had that happen to me i left my car in the parking lot of some diner and when i came out my rear fender was dented in because someone else pulling out didn't know how to freaking back out
Old 12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Sorry to hear about that Palmo. Hang in there.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that man
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Thanks folks!!! It makes it feel a little better to know there are people that at least 'understand' and care!

A lot of folks couldn't careless about their cars and it shows with the state they are in!

What's making me feel gutted is the fact I've had the car from new (got it in April 07) and it's virtually unmarked even though I've covered 34k miles already! The thought of having it painted and messed with makes me feel really P****D! Somehow, they are never quite the same. Whether it be a bit of overspray, slight colour difference, piece of trim not fitting quite right etc......you know what I mean!

Anyhow.....I'm off to the Race of Champions this weekend in the New Wembly Stadium - London, where all the worlds top motorsport drivers (inc. F1, Rallying, Touring Car, Super Bikes, Nascar and so on) come together to battle it out in a range of different cars! Should take my mind off it for a bit!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

That's the spirit. I have to admit I'm jealous of your weekend plans. The ROC at Wembly? Are you kidding me? Have a blast!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

Yes, enjoy your time. The event sounds nice. I'm sure your baby will be back in one piece soon and it will look great. Just find a good place to fix it. Is it being fixed by your BMW dealership? When are you getting it back? Make sure you do before and after pics.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Thanks again guy's - the RoC should be a great event!

Yes the car will be fixed by my local BMW dealer, although I am now waiting until my insurance company gives authorisation for work to start. Called in today to have them look over the car to provide an estimate. The bodyshop looks really clean, and they had plenty of high spec cars in inc. an M5, two 7 series a 535d and numerous others - trouble is until I try them for bodywork I won't know if they are really any good! Their servicing department is good!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Contributors

last night i had my car i gave my car to the valet, and he decided instead of parking it in the garage he would park it on the sidewalk next to a mercedes in front of the resturant. Well the car was parked so close to the valet stand the valet didnt even need to get the car, he hands me the keys and i am trying to finagle this thing off the sidewalk eventually taking a curb to the chassis. it sounded like death, but luckily no visible damage to the side skirt. bastards anyway.

Quick Reply: Gone and damaged my car today.....!