E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Glitches on the E60

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='219122' date='Jan 4 2006, 12:08 PM
Several false tyre puncture warnings and DSC failure warnings - fixed with software upgrade.

Transmission slam - not fixed by upgrade.

Passenger side repeater turn indicator fell off ! - replaced but new one fills with water when car washed,

Headlights on most of the time when set to auto.

Front screen suffered stress fracture.

Due back to dealers in 2 weeks for problems to be sorted.

It sounds worse than it is - I still love the car.
The headlights ON most of the time issue is a weakness with BMW sensitivity sensor. A small scratch or dirt on your windshiled (the area behind the rearview mirror attachment) will affect the auto lights. Ask your dealer to set it to the LEAST sensitivity since driving with the sun in the back of you will make the auto lights come/stay ON on the higher sensitivity setting. Can only be set by the dealer (I think).
Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

One month - 2000 miles and flawless

I created a radio issueone by pucshing the start button over and over after removing the key - but as long as I don't do that no problems

The exhaust tips are rusting from the top - it appears there is a defect in the chrome - will eventaully al dealer on it
Old 01-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

Mine is a bit strange
The only problem is the sunroof...I can not close the sunroof when I stop the car (while engine still running). well, I wasn't going to give up...tried everything and discovered that I can only close it while driving, but not at a complete stop. So when I forget to close it when I get home...I go for another spin ad close the sunroof
now tell me that's not cool? Now I am not kidding...this is the truth
Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by miss525i' post='219316' date='Jan 4 2006, 08:58 PM
Mine is a bit strange
The only problem is the sunroof...I can not close the sunroof when I stop the car (while engine still running). well, I wasn't going to give up...tried everything and discovered that I can only close it while driving, but not at a complete stop. So when I forget to close it when I get home...I go for another spin ad close the sunroof
maybe you're just looking for an excuse to drive the great car for a little longer

oh and to mention the worst paint ever. The body color is so soft and thin. The worst paint I've ever had on a car
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Contributors

On my current 2 months old with 700+ miles, NONE so far!

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='219408
Mine is a bit strange
maybe you're just looking for an excuse to drive the great car for a little longer

oh and to mention the worst paint ever. The body color is so soft and thin. The worst pain I've ever had on a car
[/quote]

Agree
Old 01-05-2006, 09:24 PM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by ManyBMWS' post='201176' date='Nov 20 2005, 04:31 PM
Window Anti-Trap Function error, every single time I start the car. Haven't had the time to take the car in yet.
i got the same problem now.i just picked up the car today.gonna bring it back in toromorrow.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Unhappy

The program with the diamond and star on the steering wheel changed and the door locks didnot work at 5-10 miles per hour. Reset everything and its ok.
cheers
vern
Old 01-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by vern' post='219962' date='Jan 6 2006, 08:13 AM
The program with the diamond and star on the steering wheel changed and the door locks didnot work at 5-10 miles per hour. Reset everything and its ok.
cheers
vern
Today lost all the radio AM and FM Presets.
cheers
vern
Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

CD player keeps playing (for 20 minutes or until I return to the car, which ever comes first) after turning off the car and removing key. Received software update, and it still does it. After getting the update, drove home, turned off the car removed key and I-drive screen was still on and stereo still playing (weird). Had to restart car and turn it off again to "shut the system down".
Car will revert to radio source even though I was listening to a CD last time I was in the car, this has happened several times.
Puncture tire warning after 2000 miles of ownership!! Oh, crap that was real!!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by silver530sportwagon' post='222835' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:32 PM
CD player keeps playing (for 20 minutes or until I return to the car, which ever comes first) after turning off the car and removing key. Received software update, and it still does it. After getting the update, drove home, turned off the car removed key and I-drive screen was still on and stereo still playing (weird). Had to restart car and turn it off again to "shut the system down".
Car will revert to radio source even though I was listening to a CD last time I was in the car, this has happened several times.
Puncture tire warning after 2000 miles of ownership!! Oh, crap that was real!!
Here is a POSSIBLE answer to the glitches:

1. As the software get more complex, computer processors handling 0's and 1's sometimes get corrupted. Only the processing portion and not the actual codes. Hence, reboot fixes glitches.

2. Some mentioned actual mechanical problems that can be repeated over an over again (not a glitch). This, you have to get the dealer to fix it. They can fix it if it is a good dealership and repeatable. Miss525i, get your sunroof fix and tell those guys to be CAREFUL with your paint job.

3. Some mentiioned software bugs (not a glitch either). The bug or corruption, was probably created with the dealership "updated" the software. Remember, software updates is very extensive and goes through every component of the car (engine, transmission, radio, fm, air condition, idrive, etc). When it is not programmed properly, you get things like the radio doesn't turn off when you pull the key out, etc.

If possible, ask another dealership to "reload" or "reprogram" your car because you feel the other dealership didn't do it right. In the case of the radio on after key is out, it may be the key hole sensor. Remember that auto technician are just not getting into fixing computer related issue in auto.

Quick Reply: Glitches on the E60