E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Giving exact torque to the bolts (how important?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by StingrayRacing
I always do brakecalipers and wheels by feeling. Use torque wrench only on engine work.
No troubles so far after 25 years..

//Lasse
Not everyone has the experience and luck you have in you statement. 90 ft. lbs. is not easy to estimate if you don't do it all the time and do it correctly (star pattern). I see people thinking that more is better and standing on their wrench to tighten lug nuts. This is way too tight. Use a torque wrench, torque evenly, and you will not have issues.

What you and I may consider tight may not 'feel' tight enough by others, or worst too tight by some. Not a good idea to recommended tightening bolts by 'feel' when you have no idea of the experience the other person has with things mechanical. Especially when they are working on brakes, something that if not done correctly could kill or hurt someone.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by healthservices
Not everyone has the experience and luck you have in you statement. 90 ft. lbs. is not easy to estimate if you don't do it all the time and do it correctly (star pattern). I see people thinking that more is better and standing on their wrench to tighten lug nuts. This is way too tight. Use a torque wrench, torque evenly, and you will not have issues.

What you and I may consider tight may not 'feel' tight enough by others, or worst too tight by some. Not a good idea to recommended tightening bolts by 'feel' when you have no idea of the experience the other person has with things mechanical. Especially when they are working on brakes, something that if not done correctly could kill or hurt someone.
i will agree some people might be inexperienced with car work. on the other hand, if you've ever changed a clutch yourself or done a cam swap or any serious engine/transmission work on your own, you know that probably 30% of all bolts on your car you can't even get a socket wrench on, much less a torque wrench. and 80% of the remaining bolts require a culmination of the most bizarre extensions that altogether wouldn't give you an accurate torque reading even if you tried.

if you want to torque everything, you can and that's fine, but i wouldn't let it drive you crazy if you can't. that's the reality. if you have a shop and every expensive tool on the face of the planet, you might be able to do everything exactly by the book. most people don't. i know a torque wrench isn't expensive, i'm just pointing out that most DIY car work is not done the way the manufacturer probably intended it to be done.

in all my years and jobs working on cars, i've yet to see anything happen from a bolt that unfastened itself. maybe that's due to experience, maybe it just doesn't happen if you use your old-fashioned common sense when tightening bolts.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

You have to realize that common sense to you and I may not be for others...

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Thinking back though I think how it happened was that I lifted the car in the driveway for the first time. I always do it in the garage on the nice level smooth floor, but since i was going to be using brake cleaner, I decided to do it outside. Anyway,I remember my floor jacks wheel being stuck in the expansion joint on the driveway and as I was lifting the car the jack wasn't able to move with the car, like it does when the wheels aren't stuck. Obviously I didn't think about it at the time, but it makes sense now that is how it happened Live and learn I guess.

ktlocklear had the car slip off of the jack pad.

I've work at the dealer for over 15 years as a shop foreman and as a tech, I've seen my share of F'ups that techs have done as well as those towed in, from customer's DIY mess ups.

You would be amazed at how many techs over tighten valve cover bolts.

I've done my share of mess ups over the years too too.

What I do and what I recommend to someone who stated they are new to working on a cars are 2 different things. I still will not let a car go back to a customer with out the wheels properly torqued, as I seen too many come back to techs who have been in the business for years who think they know better.