E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Giving exact torque to the bolts (how important?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i / Premium / Winter / Comfort / Navigation / Ipod / Satellite Radio / HUD

I'm a beginner DIYer that decided to do maintenance stuff myself. Could not find a discussion on the following topic so I'm posting this. If you know of a previous discussion, please paste a link. Thanks to all in advance for replies.

1) How critical is it to give an exact specified torque to the caliper bolts (the 2 bolts that need to be taken out to replace the front brake pads) as well as the wheel bolts?

2) what tools do you need to give caliper bolts exact torque? Is there a tool that work for both caliper bolts and wheel bolts?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Yes you need a torque wrench. Most likely the ones for the wheel bolts won't work with caliper because of the range in torque available. I have the following two:

For the smaller bolts
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...7&blockType=G7

For wheels, hubs, etc.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

It's always recommended you set the proper torque if possible.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I use a torque wrench like this one:
Craftsman Microtork Torque Wrench, 20-150 ft. lbs., 1/2 in. Drive

Add a set of 1/2 inch sockets and one can work on wheel bolts, caliper bolts and other large bolts.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

only problem i've found is in tight spots, i can't use such a big torque wrench it just won't fit.

Originally Posted by vkhong
I use a torque wrench like this one:
Craftsman Microtork Torque Wrench, 20-150 ft. lbs., 1/2 in. Drive

Add a set of 1/2 inch sockets and one can work on wheel bolts, caliper bolts and other large bolts.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

What about adding a socket wrench extension?

Also, due to the large forces involved, I would shy away from anything less than a 1/2 inch drive.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

3/8 torque wrench will work for just about everything except the big stuff like wheel bolts, crank shaft bolt, head bolts, and Axle nuts.

For wheel bolts you can easily get away with a cheapy like a craftsman.

Here is some of mine although over kill for most home use.

Giving exact torque to the bolts (how important?)-dsc01606small.jpg
Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I got my 1/2" drive torque wrench from Summit Racing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900042/
Works like a champ, even though it's just a cheapo. I've been using it now for about 2 years. Had one just like it before for about 8 years.

I just did my brakes the other day, and used the torque wrench on the wheel bolts, calpiers, and caliper brackets (took everything off to paint).

The caliper pin bolts are allen bolt style. I don't remember the size, but you can get a set of allen sockets at Lowes, Home Depot, auto parts store, etc. As far as torque, from memory the guide pin bolts are 25 ft lb, and the caliper bracket bolts are 70 ft lbs. There is room to torque everything down with that size wrench.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

i've been working on cars for years, including brake pads. it is not important to get every bolt to a torque specification. in fact the only time i ever use a torque wrench is on the wheels, and that's mostly because the intense amount of rotation that they go through, they will usually loosen over the first 20 miles or so that you drive your car after you put a wheel on. everything else get it about as tight as you can with a 6" socket wrench, unless you are working on soft aluminum. also, the bigger the bolt, the tighter it needs to be usually.

i always recommend using blue loctite with brake calipers, always. that's far more important than torquing your bolts down to spec.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by kev397
I'm a beginner DIYer that decided to do maintenance stuff myself. Could not find a discussion on the following topic so I'm posting this. If you know of a previous discussion, please paste a link. Thanks to all in advance for replies.

1) How critical is it to give an exact specified torque to the caliper bolts (the 2 bolts that need to be taken out to replace the front brake pads) as well as the wheel bolts?

2) what tools do you need to give caliper bolts exact torque? Is there a tool that work for both caliper bolts and wheel bolts?
I'd recommend following the torque specifications as much as you can. You should invest in a 1/2" drive and a 3/8" drive torque wrench. Craftsman are more than adequate for DIY. I prefer the "click" type torque wrench since you cannot always position yourself or the wrench where you can see the torque indicator.

http://www.tooltopia.com/sk-hand-tool-74531.aspx
Old 11-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 523 2007 LCI 525 2002 Corvette Bigblock 1972

I always do brakecalipers and wheels by feeling. Use torque wrench only on engine work.
No troubles so far after 25 years..

//Lasse

Quick Reply: Giving exact torque to the bolts (how important?)