E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting very annoyed with my new car :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new 535d is lovely, but it's starting to p!$$ me off. The bl00dy squeak from the brakes is getting worse, so tonight I thought I would take through the local car wash (nice soft bristles, don't panic) which would also jet the wheels from inside, outside and underneath, just incase something was lodged in. ?5 it cost me. But the squeak is still there - if anything it's actually got a bit worse.

What is MUCH MORE ANNOYING however, is the fact that as I pulled in to the car wash, I curbed my front driver alloy Badly So the car wash will end up costing me more like ?100, and the squeak is still there.

So tomorrow, job 1 - find allow wheel repair centre. job 2, drive to BMW and see what they can do about the squeak.

I hate problems with new cars - really puts a damper on the whole "I've got a nice new car" experience.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='483583' date='Oct 19 2007, 01:56 PM
My new 535d is lovely, but it's starting to p!$$ me off. The bl00dy squeak from the brakes is getting worse, so tonight I thought I would take through the local car wash (nice soft bristles, don't panic) which would also jet the wheels from inside, outside and underneath, just incase something was lodged in. ?5 it cost me. But the squeak is still there - if anything it's actually got a bit worse.

What is MUCH MORE ANNOYING however, is the fact that as I pulled in to the car wash, I curbed my front driver alloy Badly So the car wash will end up costing me more like ?100, and the squeak is still there.

So tomorrow, job 1 - find allow wheel repair centre. job 2, drive to BMW and see what they can do about the squeak.

I hate problems with new cars - really puts a damper on the whole "I've got a nice new car" experience.

I know the feeling. I rashed one of my new 166's a week after install. I think the curb came out and got mine. I don't have any brake squeeks. knock on wood.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Members

Russ, sorry to hear of your woes. The last thing you need when you want to be enjoying your new car! I got my new E61 just before you and no squeaky brakes as yet - though I have only done 200 miles, a fraction of your mileage I guess. Regarding the wheel damage - it is one of the things that put me off the 19" wheels - they are VERY easily kerbed! Should be easily fixed though.

Have you signed up for the Assist/Online stuff yet?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleepingdog' post='483586' date='Oct 19 2007, 01:09 PM
Russ, sorry to hear of your woes. The last thing you need when you want to be enjoying your new car! I got my new E61 just before you and no squeaky brakes as yet - though I have only done 200 miles, a fraction of your mileage I guess. Regarding the wheel damage - it is one of the things that put me off the 19" wheels - they are VERY easily kerbed! Should be easily fixed though.
Have you signed up for the Assist/Online stuff yet?
The assist/online was activated today ... but they got my mobile phone number wrong so some person somewhere will be wondering why they have received a text message from BMW with my login details.

I am always really careful with my wheels, I've had big alloys before and have never even so much as grazed a tyre on a kerb. It was my own fault, sharp turn and I was messing with the brakes trying to stop the squeaking, should have been paying more attention to where I was going. I've got somebody coming out to fix it - they will either come tomorrow if they can make it, if not first thing Monday morning. ?90 ... could have been worse, but should have been ?0. But even though it'll be sorted, the damn squeak is still there.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='483589' date='Oct 19 2007, 02:16 PM
The assist/online was activated today ... but they got my mobile phone number wrong so some person somewhere will be wondering why they have received a text message from BMW with my login details.

I am always really careful with my wheels, I've had big alloys before and have never even so much as grazed a tyre on a kerb. It was my own fault, sharp turn and I was messing with the brakes trying to stop the squeaking, should have been paying more attention to where I was going. I've got somebody coming out to fix it - they will either come tomorrow if they can make it, if not first thing Monday morning. ?90 ... could have been worse, but should have been ?0. But even though it'll be sorted, the damn squeak is still there.
That's a good repair service - do they do it there and then? My Assist stuff was only activated yesterday, no email in the car though - have you?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Russ, have you, or any one else ever used wheel cleaner on the rims ? Some of the crap they sell is very unfriendly to brakes, as for the wheels it will be a simple, and undetectable process, I just did one of my 172s 2 weeks ago.

Good luck
Old 10-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleepingdog' post='483594' date='Oct 19 2007, 01:23 PM
That's a good repair service - do they do it there and then? My Assist stuff was only activated yesterday, no email in the car though - have you?
Yes ... http://www.smartautorepairs.com/exterior.htm ... they come to your house (well, my house), and fix it. They don't even need to remove the wheel...

To be honest, I haven't played with the assist/online stuff - the damn brake squeak has been annoying me so much (yes, call me petty ... !!!) that nothing else matters at the moment. The damn noise has consumed my entire existence.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='483595' date='Oct 19 2007, 01:23 PM
Russ, have you, or any one else ever used wheel cleaner on the rims ? Some of the crap they sell is very unfriendly to brakes, as for the wheels it will be a simple, and undetectable process, I just did one of my 172s 2 weeks ago.
No ... only had the car 6 days ... no wheel cleaner has gone anywhere near the car yet.

Is there any product you can buy that you can spray on the discs through the wheels to eliminate squeak, I wonder? oil/wd40 is probably a bad idea. But at the moment, I could live with crashing in to the car infront as long as the noise goes...!!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

172M + kerbs = trouble.

Don't feel too bad you are not alone.

I "kissed" a kerb just 3 days after I got the car but it is barely noticeable. I am a bit more careful now though.

The 135M are not as bad although you should see what the previous owner did to my wife's E46 135Ms. I replaced one when I bought the car at a grand cost of ?350 (which I knocked off the purchase price).

Still, if you want to fill the wheel arches, there is always a price to pay.

I hope you get the brakes sorted OK.

Regards,
Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='483603' date='Oct 19 2007, 02:40 PM
No ... only had the car 6 days ... no wheel cleaner has gone anywhere near the car yet.

Is there any product you can buy that you can spray on the discs through the wheels to eliminate squeak, I wonder? oil/wd40 is probably a bad idea. But at the moment, I could live with crashing in to the car infront as long as the noise goes...!!

If your'e OK with crashing I'ld say hit them with WD 40 , maybe some KY and hey why not some olive oil too. Seriously don't spray anything on them , take it back to BMW , check out NY550i I think he has the exact same problem

Cheers

Quick Reply: Getting very annoyed with my new car :(