E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Getting ready for ED on 550i

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Veight' post='240041' date='Feb 14 2006, 11:20 AM
Im scheduled for ED on May 7. Punch In? You telling me they will drill holes in my front bumper????

Is there any way out of this and still do ED? Have you tried to ask plant not to do this???

Yes, thats what I hear and apparently nothing one can do about it. Must have a front plate when driving in Europe. Hopefully, the holes are neatly drilled so color matching bumper plugs aren't too obvious.

bumperplugs.com

CVT Benhogaqn
Old 02-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Veight' post='240041' date='Feb 14 2006, 07:20 AM
Im scheduled for ED on May 7. Punch In? You telling me they will drill holes in my front bumper????

Is there any way out of this and still do ED? Have you tried to ask plant not to do this???
Since the car will be driven in Germany, where front plates are required, the factory installs the front plate. No way around it.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

CONGRATULATIONS CVT Benhogan!!!

And by the way:
Guys,
Please explain it to the me ("newbie" here), what's the whole deal with this "european pick-up"???
Why do they have such thing? What's the sense there?
Is there a price advantage? Or, is it just to have a adventure while buying your new BMW?

And the practical things:
- Do you have to register this car first in the EU, and then re-register it in the US?
- Do they make you drill holes in front to put a EU plates?
(personally, living for a while in California, I would never drill my front bumper in a beauty like E60 is to put anything in front there, as it was never mandatory to have anything in front, well, at least in LA...),
Well, maybe except for some californian bugs....

Oh, and one more question:
Are you allowed / capable to order diesel engine to be transported to the US?
if not, is it complicated just to buy a BMW with diesel here and then export it individually to the States?

Nobody like diesels there?? C'mon!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='239760' date='Feb 14 2006, 02:53 AM
Koln or Border French city 2 days (tour castles on the Rhine in the Mosel Valley)
Oh,
I am sorry, I forgot to mention one thing...
<_<
As for your itinerary, if you're in the area - DON"T FORGET TO COME AND SEE LUXEMBOURG!!!
It's a small country on the three borders (French, German and Belgian)
And it is one of the most beautiful places around, small and yet with a charm like no other....
You won't regret this visit! I'm telling you.
And I can even provide you with some good web links, or pictures, just let me know.
It's really beautiful here.

Anyway, congrats again!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='239760' date='Feb 13 2006, 09:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

At last, I'm ready be to a real E60er!!!! We leave on Wednesday night and fly to Frankfurt. Arrive via a bmw 1er rental on Thursday in Munich and pickup on Friday. I'm keeping the rpms under 4K and we'll determine top speed at 4k. Our 10-day itinerary, depending on weather given the summer tires and my mastery of NAV on the I-drive, is tentatively as follows: Might be too much Switzerland right now.

Munchen 2 days (day trips to Berchtesgaden or Inglostadt - kidding the Dingolfing factory
Reutte Austria 1 day - (only if tired and may go right to Lagano, Switz)
Lagano Switzerland day visit (might go to Marten instead)
Marten Switzerland 2 days (day trip to Lake Geneva)
Rothenburg 1 day (shopping day for my wife as I day dream about the 5er - could sleep in the car )
Koln or Border French city 2 days (tour castles on the Rhine in the Mosel Valley)
Frankfurt 2 days (drop-off and chilling out for the trip home)

We'll post pics on the trip. Be ready for a huge pictorial in the gallery.

Thanks all E60ers for all the help. Any advice is welcome

CVT Benhogan
PS Red reflectors and bumper fillers (euro plates are punch in for ED ) will be ordered when home
I am very interested in what you experience with ED. I placed my order with Knauz last Saturday and am scheduled for European delivery on May 8th. I however want to do a quick fly in and flyout. maybe spend one day. How are you going to handle the holes drilled in your new car. I think this is totally absurb that they do this. They should just tape the freaking Euro plate on the car. I am going to petition my dealer to have them hold off on this.
Let me know if you have tried to get them to stop drilling.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by stream' post='240097' date='Feb 14 2006, 10:47 AM
Since the car will be driven in Germany, where front plates are required, the factory installs the front plate. No way around it.
I did ED in the fall of 2004. They used double-stick tape to afix the front plate holder and I see no reason why they would change the procedure now. It worked fine.

ED was a great experience. We went to Rotenburg first then down to Austria and into Switzerland. We spent about 12 days there. There are lots of sites, including this one, that have valuable ED information. Use search and Google to gather all you can. The more you know going in, the easier it will be once you get there. I'd do it again without heistation. Have fun and don't worry about a thing.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='240140' date='Feb 14 2006, 02:22 PM
I did ED in the fall of 2004. They used double-stick tape to afix the front palt holder and I see no reason why they would change the procedure now. It worked fine.

ED was a great experience. We went to Rotenburg first then down to Austria and into Switzerland. We spent about 12 days there. There are lots of sites, including this one, that have valuable ED information. Use search and Google to gather all you can. The more you know going in, the easier it will be once you get there. I'd do it again without heistation. Have fun and don't worry about a thing.

Really, now thats a nice surprise. No holes?

Old 02-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='240146' date='Feb 14 2006, 12:30 PM
Really, now thats a nice surprise. No holes?

Just the holes my U.S. dealer put in for the U.S. standard plate holder. Front plates are required here in Calif. I didn't ask them not to do it, and don't really mind it anyway. I'd rather not give a cop another reason to stop me. Holding the speed down is difficult enough and frequently not successful.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Oh, and make sure you get the Euro Nav DVD here in the U.S. It's probably cheaper. There are people selling used ones on eBay occasionally. An e60 board member named Beewang was renting them at one time, so you might try him. I still have mine. I tried to selll it, but couldn't get a decent price. Now I am holidng on to it in hopes it will still be compatible for a repeat ED in the future. It would have been a lot more difficult if we didn't have Nav. Road closures and detours were no problem at all, but would have been otherwise. Euro NAV made it it effortless / stressless to get wherever we were going. We even just wandered around a few times, then used NAV to get back to our hotel.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='240148' date='Feb 14 2006, 02:37 PM
Just the holes my U.S. dealer put in for the U.S. standard plate holder. Front plates are required here in Calif. I didn't ask them not to do it, and don't really mind it anyway. I'd rather not give a cop another reason to stop me. Holding the speed down is difficult enough and frequently not successful.

I alrady told my dealer no holes. How can anyone even in europe, take a power drill to a brand new bmw when some people dont use front plates? It makes me shudder to think of someone driller two holes in a brand new bumper. Forget the law on not displaying a front plate, it should be capital punishment for drilling a new BMW.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for ED on 550i