E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Which Tires?
Dunlop RFs again.- Maybe they have improved
16.67%
Bridgestone
47.62%
GoodYear
35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Getting a new set

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

My dealer can order a set of Dunlop RFs today. If I want another brand they want the car in the shop when the BMWNA rep is on site.

Michelins were not a choice at the parts counter.

Which Tires?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

I would never get another set of those Dunlop runflats. They are rock hard, and absorb nothing. I'm not for soft handling in any way, but there is something about how they built in that RF aspect that removed any help in managing even minor undulations in the road.

I've heard great stuff about some of the Michelin sport tires, and others on e60 in other threads.... (maybe it's worth investigating TireRack.com)
Old 03-22-2005, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Mar 21 2005, 11:19 PM
My dealer can order a set of Dunlop RFs today.? If I want another brand they want the car in the shop when the BMWNA rep is on site.

Michelins were not a choice at the parts counter.

Which Tires?
[snapback]104769[/snapback]

the UK sport models now come with goodyear runflats, so far i'd have to say these are a big improvement over my previous dunlops fitted to my previous SE model.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Members

My dealer ordered a new set of Dunlop RFs last week after i complained of road noise.
I have approx 7000 miles on my car, I was not given the option to choose other brands, BMWNA and Dunlop believe that a certain batch of tires shipped with the E60 was bad I think it would depend on the Manufacture Date, mine was May 2004.
I do not mind the dunlops for now the noise is reduced they are brand new so what can i say.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Many people on this board have had the Dunlops switched to Bridgestones and all seem pretty happy based on their posts in other threads.

I can't say if the Bridgestones are that good or if the Dunlops were that bad. It might be a little bit of both.

I'm taking my wheels and tires into the dealer today so they can begin the replacement process. I'm lucky since I still have my snow tires on the car so they can have my Dunlops for another week or so without causing me any inconvenience...
Old 03-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 22 2005, 09:31 AM
Many people on this board have had the Dunlops switched to Bridgestones and all seem pretty happy based on their posts in other threads.

I can't say if the Bridgestones are that good or if the Dunlops were that bad.? It might be a little bit of both.

I'm taking my wheels and tires into the dealer today so they can begin the replacement process.? I'm lucky since I still have my snow tires on the car so they can have my Dunlops for another week or so without causing me any inconvenience...
[snapback]105035[/snapback]
Rudy,

How many miles did have you put on your Dunlops? And have they determined that they are replacing them because of problems with them?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

I havent had any problems to date with my runflats and I have 14000 miles of new york street driving on them. They seem very quiet to me. I could probably get better handling tires but I would rather have the piece of mind of not having to change a tire after a flat.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Mar 22 2005, 05:16 PM
Rudy,

How many miles did have you put on your Dunlops? And have they determined that they are replacing them because of problems with them?
[snapback]105250[/snapback]
My Dunlops began to roar like a monster truck at around 7000 miles. I believe the exessive noise was related to cupping on the inside of the front tires. I took the tires off for winter at around 9000 miles. When I initially complained about the noise (do a search here) there weren't enough complaints for BMW to take notice. Now, it seems they've admitted that there is a widespread problem and they are replacing tires on a case-by-case basis. The technicians are instructed to file a PUMA case and they are to report tire serial numbers and tread depth in different areas of the tire (and possibly more information.) Once that's submitted, BMW will decide whether or not there is a claim for a warranty replacement. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting new tires out of this and I'm quite happy that BMW stepped up and acknowledged that this was a problem.

According to my dealer, at this time, BMW isn't asking anything about alignment specs, etc. It seems that the problem is either a bad batch of Dunlops or possibly something with Active Steering. The fact that some people are getting new Dunlops (while others are getting Bridgestones) tells me that it's likely that AS isn't the culprit and it was most likely a bad batch of Dunlops...
Old 03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

My dealer gave me the option of any tire I wanted with a credit on the wear (supposidly 60% worn in 10k miles) or Dunlop would replace the tires at n/c. The replacement is the Sport 01 DSST (same as original).

Since a new set of Michelin Pilot PS2's would cost me $800 under the dealers program, I will opt for a new set of Dunlops at n/c. I will actually get enough miles with this second set not to feel the pain of ultra low mileage tires.

I am surprised at how few miles I am projecting from the first set. I don't light them up and 98% of my driving is highway, no load, and just me.

The next set I have to purchase will probably be the Michelin PS2.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributors

When you guys complain about noise, can you hear it over the radio? Maybe I came out lucky or am just not noticing it.

Quick Reply: Getting a new set