E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Getting dirty - "poor" boot / trunk design on E60

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

With the wet autumn weather creeping in over here now, I've just discovered that the boot/trunk lip on the E60 is just asking for you to ruin all your jackets, ties, coats, etc. whilst un/loading your luggage!

They have somehow managed to design the lip so that it collects all the water and dirt off of the rear of the car. I was over the moon with the automatic opening lid, but I can see that this lip on the rear bumper is going to be a constant source of irritation, especially in the mornings before the caffeine has kicked in and my memory tells me to be carefull when un/loading.

Anyway, just thought I'd have a little moan and post this to warn others out there before you end up with a pile of clothing for the dry cleaners. Bangle & co... get it sorted on the next 5er!

Cheers
Old 10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='347916' date='Oct 23 2006, 09:58 AM
With the wet autumn weather creeping in over here now, I've just discovered that the boot/trunk lip on the E60 is just asking for you to ruin all your jackets, ties, coats, etc. whilst un/loading your luggage!

They have somehow managed to design the lip so that it collects all the water and dirt off of the rear of the car. I was over the moon with the automatic opening lid, but I can see that this lip on the rear bumper is going to be a constant source of irritation, especially in the mornings before the caffeine has kicked in and my memory tells me to be carefull when un/loading.

Anyway, just thought I'd have a little moan and post this to warn others out there before you end up with a pile of clothing for the dry cleaners. Bangle & co... get it sorted on the next 5er!

Cheers
Are you talking in the area where my spoiler is located?
Attached Thumbnails Getting dirty - "poor" boot / trunk design on E60-pic_14.jpg  
Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Veight' post='347919' date='Oct 23 2006, 05:05 PM
Are you talking in the area where my spoiler is located?
No, I'm on about the flat area on the rear bumper below the number plate.

p.s. nice spoiler!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='347923' date='Oct 23 2006, 10:11 AM
No, I'm on about the flat area on the rear bumper below the number plate.

p.s. nice spoiler!

Gotcha. So when the water sits on this flat area, and you close the trunk, the water runs off and goes on your pants/shoes.

I understand. There are a million things to consider when you are designing a car. I remember when they stopped putting gutter lips along the windows in cars and you would open the window to have water run inside the car. Basically you just couldn't open the window in the rain or with any water on the car. This is a similar issue if you forget to step back.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Yeah. It's kinda hard to design smth beautifull and very functional and clean at the same time. I agree with you but you see that this shape has it's own beauty. Being curved the whole bumper and then this flat area. There are cars with a narrower bumper and pay attention how it looks, not too good or agressive. Even if it had an incline it still would have been a problem since it doesn't matter if water or dirt has a slope, it will still get dirty and if you're not paying attention you'll still get dirt on you cloths. The only way is to pay a lil more attention and don't touch it aka try to operate the trunk from a few cms away so that it won't touch your pants. Of course there may be cases when you can't do anything about it especially when you have to get smth from the back of the trunk but oh well...don't dress in white
Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2000 E320 Wagon 4MATIC

The huge bumper lip is a product of DOT standards for bumper depths.

In the old days, euro cars had slimmer bumpers than NA spec cars. Now they are all the same to save on tooling costs and production issues.

DOT standards = crap.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bora20' post='348550' date='Oct 25 2006, 02:34 AM
The huge bumper lip is a product of DOT standards for bumper depths.

In the old days, euro cars had slimmer bumpers than NA spec cars. Now they are all the same to save on tooling costs and production issues.

DOT standards = crap.
ahh, that explains a lot - the 3er and 1er also have these boot/trunk lips at the back.

Well it looks like this is a taste of things to come with car design then and makes sense from a manufacturing perspective. I remember seeing some of the older US BMWs with these nasty big & strangely position bumpers - I bet you're glad they are a feature of the past!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='347916' date='Oct 23 2006, 10:58 PM

Cheers
This happens to me when it rains.
Well mod the bumper, drill some holes in the corner and let the water run away. Just joking
Old 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='348669' date='Oct 25 2006, 12:03 PM
This happens to me when it rains.
Well mod the bumper, drill some holes in the corner and let the water run away. Just joking

I think I'll just start wearing racing Leathers
Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='348733' date='Oct 25 2006, 11:49 PM
I think I'll just start wearing racing Leathers

what do you mean

Quick Reply: Getting dirty - "poor" boot / trunk design on E60