E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Geez.. is nothing ever easy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooops.. an angel eye DRL goes out. :thumbsdown:

I instinctively attempt to order the replacement from an online store. I can't remember the part number, however per the site's instructions, I carefully specify the model year, model number, and manufacturing month of my car. Surely the experts will make a note of this and send me the right part. (Especially since I told them the color of my car - which surely couldn't hurt! )

Right. (See attached image.)

As many of you are replacing your angel eyes with aftermarket white, I figure my car may end up looking more unique with the stock angel eyes!

Anyways, seeing as that I got the wrong part mailed to me I'll be headed off to my local stealer - they say it's only a $15 bulb.

I'll take qty 2.

Geez.. is nothing ever easy?-incorrect_angel_eye_bulb_x.jpg
Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Problem is if you ordered Angel Eyes, they sent you the correct part. If you need your DRL's replaced (which are actually the high beam headlights) that's a different part than the AE's. Best bet? Contact member John@Motorcepts - he's our resident lighting guru, he'll take good care of you.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Members

Funny thing is.. I specifed (more or less) that my angel eye "corona" DRLs went out on my left side. I didn't want to get into semantics with them.. I thought that was pretty clear, right? On my car (make, model, mfg date) the description of "angel eye "corona" DRLs" (whether using the correct technical terms or not) indicates the bulb I show in the picture.

Right?

Experts
Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
Funny thing is.. I specifed (more or less) that my angel eye "corona" DRLs went out on my left side. I didn't want to get into semantics with them.. I thought that was pretty clear, right? On my car (make, model, mfg date) the description of "angel eye "corona" DRLs" (whether using the correct technical terms or not) indicates the bulb I show in the picture.

Right?

Experts

Not exactly, soon as you say Angel Eye they pull that part out and tune out the rest of what you say. That's what I mean, when you ask for Angel Eye DRL's you're actually asking for 2 different parts (in this case bulbs). They did, in fact, send you the correct Angel Eye bulb. They did not send you a DRL bulb, because as I said the DRl's are actually the high beam of the headlights.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

But ... the OP car seems to be an LCI so the DRL will be = AE rings that uses H8 bulb.
they sent the OP the AE bulb for non-Xenon/Halogen headlight.

Originally Posted by pjinca
Not exactly, soon as you say Angel Eye they pull that part out and tune out the rest of what you say. That's what I mean, when you ask for Angel Eye DRL's you're actually asking for 2 different parts (in this case bulbs). They did, in fact, send you the correct Angel Eye bulb. They did not send you a DRL bulb, because as I said the DRl's are actually the high beam of the headlights.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
But ... the OP car seems to be an LCI so the DRL will be = AE rings that uses H8 bulb.

Good point, hadn't noticed the year in his sig until you mentioned it. You are correct, the LCI cars do use the AE's as DRL's, my mistake OP.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Members

I believe you are correct, BlaSTiWi.

My car is LCI. I have not removed the headlight assembly to examine it.. but poking around with a flashlight.. it does not appear to me that the part they sent DOES NOT fit any part of my headlight.

Does it? I wonder if I should keep it.. or if there is no use for it on my car.. I will attempt to return. I will attempt to return.

Thanks for the feedback guys...
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
I believe you are correct, BlaSTiWi.

My car is LCI. I have not removed the headlight assembly to examine it.. but poking around with a flashlight.. it does not appear to me that the part they sent fits any part of my headlight.

Who knows.
Oh, he is definitely correct if your car is a 2008 (LCI). I'd still suggest returning the purchase to where ever you got it and contacting John@motorcepts, being the lighting guru means he'll get you the right part every time. Good luck
Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
This is correct.

Originally Posted by pjinca
Good point, hadn't noticed the year in his sig until you mentioned it. You are correct, the LCI cars do use the AE's as DRL's, my mistake OP.
Not quite. The LCI "xenons" uses AE as DRL. LCI halogen still uses high beam at lowered current as DRL. However, this can actually be changed via coding. Kind of interesting BUT weird that they've done it this way.