E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Gas price across the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Terraformer' post='635854' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:15 AM
Good for you, I'm glad you're not a Bush supporter. All markets are influenced by politics, and oil (copper and gold as well) is no exception. Recall how, just before the 2004 elections and people were complaining about gas prices, they fell? Prices went up, approval ratings went down, and the converse. Looking at the numbers, Saudi crude production in the five months Apr-Oct was an average 750,000 bpd greater in 2004 than 2003. During a meeting in the Oval Office, according to Bob Woodward in his book that came out a couple of years ago, Bush personally thanked Saudi Prince Bandar because the Saudis had flooded the world oil market and kept prices down in the run-up to the 2004 general election. The relationship with the House of Saud and the Bushes is also well-known and, given their fields, they can manipulate the spigots in favor or in spite of Bush as needed.

It's the big picture I'm talking about, one that I sometimes think economists should endeavor to be more honest about.
That is, money does not make the world go around. People very frequently do not act rationally. And the idea that actors operate purely and consistently according to economic stimuli just doesn't seem true in my personal experiences, nor does it seem true in my reading of current and historical events.

Playing up 'issues' with Iran can mess with prices and speculation as well (along with the Iraq debacle), the fruits of which benefit those who have control of oil. In 2006, we experienced a roller-coaster of sorts in oil prices--all occurring without supply disruption. Perhaps "data" was too strong a word, I admit. I am saying that all of this cannot be so easily and casually labeled as the result of something purely and wholly economic.

Please don't try to suggest that I can 'find a way' to pin Bush on other commodities' rising as well, I am keeping to oil. Again, and given all that this administration has done to lie and manipulate this country, all that I am saying is that this severe, sudden (and within 8 years is sudden in this context) increase of oil futures seems awfully shady to me, and does not completely fit into a nice box of supply and demand. Fundamentals about supply and demand do not explain this--what are they? Oil prices are all about risk and speculation, truths which politicians in power coupled with friends that have oil lead to a very persuasive suggestion that this is not simple economics at play.
You are right all markets are influenced by politics, and not just U.S. politics. Keep that in mind. And you are right about 2004, the Saudis stepped up and increased production to help bring down prices. My point is that they no longer have the capacity to do that. That is why price have moved up so strongly.

This type of move in oil prices is not unprecedented. Look back to the early 80's and in 70's. Markets work.

Your admission that the use of the word data is too strong is correct. Again you have no facts, just a lot of conjecture and assumptions.

As for futures price, you are right, they have never been about pure supply and demand economics. People buy and sell to speculate on the future. That has always been the case and it is no different today. Has it been extreme in the last six months, yes. Markets experience bubbles, oil is no different. That excess is now being worked off for oil, just as it is for real estate.

My only problem with your comments is your complete inability to admit that the worldwide demand expansion has anything to do with high prices. All you talk about is Bush and his friends. We Americans need to take a long hard look in the mirror and examine our consumption habits. As I pointed out in my last note, you drive a 530, hardly a fuel efficient car. And yet you complain about gas prices. We do not have a god given right to cheap gas. The Chinese and Indians are paying up for oil to drive their growing economies, that is fact. Unfortunately if we want oil, we have to pay for it too...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 1985 325e (sold it in 1996) // 2001 Z3 2.5 / White / Blk Lthr / 5-spd (wife's) // 04 530i / Metallic Blk / Beige Lthr / 6-spd / Logic7 / 19" 166 Michelin Pilot Sp

Actually, I did have facts (in the form of statistical data and historical facts) directly related to the issue. You see conjecture and assumptions, I see possible connections.

My only problem with your comments is your complete inability to admit that the worldwide demand expansion has anything to do with high prices.
If you care to read what I wrote, I agreed that growth had something to do with prices. My contention was that that relation does not represent the sum of the result, that there are other considerations at play than pure economics with respect to the surge in oil prices.

My only problem with your comments is your complete inability to admit that the price of oil has any other explanation than economical rationalizations of supply and demand. The world didn't just suddenly lose its oil reserves to the levels that would normally require such a jump in prices (and thus oil profits) in so short of a time.

You see black and white; the rest of us live in the world of gray. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Strange
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Terraformer' post='636008' date='Jul 30 2008, 12:46 PM
Actually, I did have facts (in the form of statistical data and historical facts) directly related to the issue. You see conjecture and assumptions, I see possible connections.

If you care to read what I wrote, I agreed that growth had something to do with prices. My contention was that that relation does not represent the sum of the result, that there are other considerations at play than pure economics with respect to the surge in oil prices.

My only problem with your comments is your complete inability to admit that the price of oil has any other explanation than economical rationalizations of supply and demand. The world didn't just suddenly lose its oil reserves to the levels that would normally require such a jump in prices (and thus oil profits) in so short of a time.

You see black and white; the rest of us live in the world of gray. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
Indeed you did present some data, you somehow used 4+ year old production data to try and explain today's price increases and the relationship between Bush and Saudi. What happened then has little to do with today because Saudi no longer has that ability to throw more barrels at the market. That is not conjecture or seeing "connections". It is black and white reality, no gray here.

No the world didn't just lose it's reserves. The key is production not reserves and you simply ignore that production has not kept up with demand growth. Four years ago when Saudi increased produciton to push down prices, they had the spare capacity of light sweet oil to do that. The only spare capacity they have today is heavy sour oil which no one can refine into products like gasoline or deisel. Effectively they have no spare capacity. That leaves no margin for error and when Nigerian rebels blow up pipelines and take 300,000 bbl/d off the market, there is no way to make that up. There used to be four years ago.

As for your black and white comment, you should also take a look in the mirror. You're view of the world seems pretty black and white to me... Bush did it and that's it. I am not so foolish to not see the connections Bush has to the industry and that he certainly has helped the industry with tax breaks etc, but I don't give him or the industry enough credit to influence prices in any prolonged or major way. Do they have some influence, sure but ultimately economics win out in the long run.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree...
Old 07-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 1985 325e (sold it in 1996) // 2001 Z3 2.5 / White / Blk Lthr / 5-spd (wife's) // 04 530i / Metallic Blk / Beige Lthr / 6-spd / Logic7 / 19" 166 Michelin Pilot Sp

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='636040' date='Jul 30 2008, 01:35 PM
Indeed you did present some data, you somehow used 4+ year old production data to try and explain today's price increases and the relationship between Bush and Saudi. What happened then has little to do with today because Saudi no longer has that ability to throw more barrels at the market. That is not conjecture or seeing "connections". It is black and white reality, no gray here.

No the world didn't just lose it's reserves. The key is production not reserves and you simply ignore that production has not kept up with demand growth. Four years ago when Saudi increased produciton to push down prices, they had the spare capacity of light sweet oil to do that. The only spare capacity they have today is heavy sour oil which no one can refine into products like gasoline or deisel. Effectively they have no spare capacity. That leaves no margin for error and when Nigerian rebels blow up pipelines and take 300,000 bbl/d off the market, there is no way to make that up. There used to be four years ago.
Saudi margins are ridiculous and, with India, US and China demand even softening, we would still see $100 oil (40% lower than today) and sustained profitability for them. Regardless of what their maximum capacity really is, I would expect more propaganda that they are doing everything possible and expect them to take a laissez-faire approach to curbing the crisis

As for your black and white comment, you should also take a look in the mirror. You're view of the world seems pretty black and white to me... Bush did it and that's it. I am not so foolish to not see the connections Bush has to the industry and that he certainly has helped the industry with tax breaks etc, but I don't give him or the industry enough credit to influence prices in any prolonged or major way. Do they have some influence, sure but ultimately economics win out in the long run.
Being a bit intentionally obtuse here, aren't you? As I've (twice) written, I am not blaming Bush for this. Again, for those who are slow on the uptake, there is increasing demand--no doubt--but I suggest that BushCo is also part of the problem due to its influence with producers and its ability to manipulate the system through its connections, to the benefit of themselves and their friends. Got that?

Do they have some influence, sure but ultimately economics win out in the long run.
Yes, the long run, after they've left office and have their millions (and more).

Some childish attempt at snark? Run along, now.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Terraformer' post='636069' date='Jul 30 2008, 02:31 PM
Some childish attempt at snark? Run along, now.
Not at all. If you spend any time on this board reading my posts, you'd know that is not the case. I am sorry that a difference of opinion has got you so upset, but your own attitude and commentary has become less than charming as well. Those who live in glass houses...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

The blaming of economic trends and events on a current office holder is a century?s old tactic of demagogues and the myrmidons who follow them.