E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas cap sign question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

I recently started getting the gas cap sign warning. I figured that this means the cap is not secured. I checked it and it was secured. My warranty is up in 150 miles. Should I worry about this? Is this a sign of trouble?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by aosman' post='503046' date='Dec 5 2007, 01:21 PM
I recently started getting the gas cap sign warning. I figured that this means the cap is not secured. I checked it and it was secured. My warranty is up in 150 miles. Should I worry about this? Is this a sign of trouble?
I have had the same issue on my '04 545. Dealer checked it out but could not repeat and found no codes in the computer. Certainly doesn't seem to impacting performance in any way. Recall another member had the same issue and simply bought a new gas cap, which resolved the issue. Only cost something like $10-$15. In my opinion, the rubber gasket around the gas cap is getting old and not creating a good seal. This allow air to get into the tank, tricking the car into thinking the gas cap is loose.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Originally Posted by aosman' post='503046' date='Dec 5 2007, 02:21 PM
Mine kept showing the warning sign after I filled up. It would go away eventually but I felt something was wrong. I went to BMW of Manhattan and they said they tested everything and saw nothing wrong. I then went to Denville BMW a month later and they tested it too. They found that my "DTML pump" or something failed. They replaced it and I haven't seen the gas cap sign since.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='503049' date='Dec 5 2007, 01:36 PM
Mine kept showing the warning sign after I filled up. It would go away eventually but I felt something was wrong. I went to BMW of Manhattan and they said they tested everything and saw nothing wrong. I then went to Denville BMW a month later and they tested it too. They found that my "DTML pump" or something failed. They replaced it and I haven't seen the gas cap sign since.
HP, did the warning go off everytime you filled up? The warning I get is generally after fill-up but is sporadic so replicating for the dealer is impossible. How did the discover the pump failure, if you know?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='503055' date='Dec 5 2007, 02:58 PM
HP, did the warning go off everytime you filled up? The warning I get is generally after fill-up but is sporadic so replicating for the dealer is impossible. How did the discover the pump failure, if you know?
It went off everytime I filled up. At first I thought that I wasn't closing the gas cap tight enough. Then I would ensure that it was closed and it still did it. I took it to BMW of Manhattan and they said they did all sorts of diagnostics and leak tests. They even said that they swapped the gas cap with one from a car in the showroom and they "counldn't duplicate the problem." It was working as designed.

I took it into Denville for an oil change and told them about my gas cap issue. They said they'd check it out. The SA called me and told me that they ran some diagnostics and found a faulty DTML pump and replaced it. Since then, the gas cap light does not turn on anymore.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='503065' date='Dec 5 2007, 02:29 PM
It went off everytime I filled up. At first I thought that I wasn't closing the gas cap tight enough. Then I would ensure that it was closed and it still did it. I took it to BMW of Manhattan and they said they did all sorts of diagnostics and leak tests. They even said that they swapped the gas cap with one from a car in the showroom and they "counldn't duplicate the problem." It was working as designed.

I took it into Denville for an oil change and told them about my gas cap issue. They said they'd check it out. The SA called me and told me that they ran some diagnostics and found a faulty DTML pump and replaced it. Since then, the gas cap light does not turn on anymore.
Thanks, mine is sporadic but given that the warranty expires at the end of February I'll press to check it out again...
Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='503055' date='Dec 5 2007, 11:58 AM
Mine does the same thing after each fill-up. I just open the cap and tie it again before I start the car again the next time. The warning will go away until the next fill-up.
I know it is difficult for the dealer to duplicate the problem. However, the warning sign should stay on the console if you don't re-tie the cap. Have you showed the warning sign to the SA ?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IceBimmer' post='503077' date='Dec 5 2007, 03:01 PM
Mine does the same thing after each fill-up. I just open the cap and tie it again before I start the car again the next time. The warning will go away until the next fill-up.
I know it is difficult for the dealer to duplicate the problem. However, the warning sign should stay on the console if you don't re-tie the cap. Have you showed the warning sign to the SA ?
No because it doesn't happen consistently after fill-up. I wish it would because I'd fill-up down the street from the dealer and drive straight there. It will usually go off then go away after I stop and re-start the car. Just has never been a big enough issue to send me rushing out to the dealer when it has appeared. Now that the warranty is nearing an end, it is taking on some more urgency!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='503085' date='Dec 5 2007, 04:08 PM
...................It will usually go off then go away after I stop and re-start the car...................
That's how mine was. It would light up after I filled up the car and stay on until I stopped and restarted the car.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Just filled up mine. Tied the cap normally, without extra force. After 30 miles, no warning yet.

Quick Reply: gas cap sign question