E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Funny clicking sound coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5
Default Funny clicking sound coming from engine

I had some electrical problems earlier, so I checked all my fuse's which were all good and charged my battery, now I'm getting a funny clicking sound from the engine. Sounded like the alternator but the sound seemed like it was coming from the engine. I am not sure. The voltage was still good on the battery but I charged it up a few days ago and didn't drive since.

Under the shifter knob I still have a split wire that activates the m/s mode. hmm

Here is the sound I'm getting. Any guess to what might be the problem?

Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

It simply sounds like noisy lifters to me. Google "BMW SIB 11.09.07" and follow the lifter bleed procedure to see if that fixes it. The procedure is nothing more than running your engine at higher RPMs for a set period of times. If that fixes it, start driving your car more aggressively from time to time and for longer distances. That will help keep it from reoccurring.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

What a dilemma for owning a BMW:

Drive too gentle and your wallet will break...

Drive too fast and your wallet will break...

Drive to the BMW Dealer and you are guarantee to go broke...

...take the bus and you will miss her dearly.

Back to the subject: To OP
It sounded like the lifters or just the fuel injectors doing its thing.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

Originally Posted by E60I
What a dilemma for owning a BMW:

Drive too gentle and your wallet will break...

Drive too fast and your wallet will break...

Drive to the BMW Dealer and you are guarantee to go broke...

...take the bus and you will miss her dearly.

Back to the subject: To OP
It sounded like the lifters or just the fuel injectors doing its thing.
That's why I have a trusty backup economy car.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DanL
It simply sounds like noisy lifters to me. Google "BMW SIB 11.09.07" and follow the lifter bleed procedure to see if that fixes it. The procedure is nothing more than running your engine at higher RPMs for a set period of times. If that fixes it, start driving your car more aggressively from time to time and for longer distances. That will help keep it from reoccurring.
thanks for the info, I'll try that but something tells me it's more serious than what it seems.

Do u know if bmw's can run without the battery connection? I tried testing the alternator by disconnecting I the battery after starting and the engine shut off. It doesn't do that with my other car. I know it's bad for the vehicle but I'm desperate.

Also noticed even after I charged the battery and checked fuse's the dash cluster digital computer ( sorry don't know what it's called) has these three really bright light flash on startup...something I noticed it after the electrical problems occurred.

I noticed the clicking sound after driving for 20 minutes, and sat in idle for another 15 waiting for a friend. So it occurred after the car was already warmed up, does it still sound like noisy lifters?