E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing pas res malfunction today *i hope*

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing pas res malfunction today *i hope*

Been a while guys hope all is well. I finally got tired of starting my car and seeing that damn seatbelt and airbag light come on in the cluster with that annoying message pop up on screen. In my case the error wasn't being cause by a seat mat or any thing else covered under recall. The diagnostic machine points to my battery cable being faulty.

Today is the day I get it fixed I purchased the battery cable mechanic instructed me to purchase the positive battery cable below the floor apparently the new cable needs to be installed and the car needs to be coded and that should fix it the problem. I'm very nervous because I'm not getting the work done at bmw I'm hoping to save some cash and I'm trusting the work to my Indy who used to work for bmw of Manhattan. If his diagnosis was incorrect I would be losing a lot of money because the part it self is like 300 bucks and labor is like 400.

Any way crossing my fingers hoping everything goes well I will keep you posted.

Here's is the pic of the cable that needs to be changed in my case to fix the passenger restraint malfunction error. If you notice it's not the one from the recall in the trunk it's actually the one that runs underneath the car from the trunk . #3

Fixing pas res malfunction today *i hope*-image.jpg

Last edited by spediegunz; 03-27-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

Fixing pas res malfunction today *i hope*-image.jpg
Old 03-27-2014, 03:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

I have never heard of that cable going bad unless their was water damage in the car. Good luck with the repair.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan
I have never heard of that cable going bad unless their was water damage in the car. Good luck with the repair.
Hmm that makes me nervous in my research people who had to change the battery cable because of that error I think usually changed the bis cable connected right to the battery I thought it was strange he suggested that one. One thing to your point I did have an incident one time I opened my trunk and under my spare was loaded with water I don't know how it got there but I had to vacuum the water out and relocate the electronics .
Old 03-27-2014, 04:12 AM
Members

Honestly before spending that much money I would check the connections on that cable first. Make sure they are clean and/or corresponding cables is not frayed. Did you have the recall done on the battery cable? When the water was in the trunk was it air dried after getting the water out. Check for oxidation or any water "damage". If so clean the area. $700 is a lot to throw away especially if it is not the issue.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:17 AM
Members

Multiple errors usually lead to the battery or the cable connected to the battery.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Well problem was fixed but as it turns out I did have the wrong cable I was supposed to buy the bst cable but some how I ended up buying the one below the floor, so after I went back and was refused return at bmw I had to shell out the cost for the right part. It was a costly lesson. In the end my mechanic swapped out the part coded it and no more warning lights on my dash I'm so happy.

So I made a eBay listing for the part I'm stuck with maybe some one from here might need it if so it's part number 61129297278
Here's my listing http://bit.ly/1f0AOSw
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM
Members

So you didn't need to replace the cable which goes underneath? What cable did you replace? I have this exact problem so any information would be hugely appreciated as I too am tired of that annoying pop up!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cointilt
So you didn't need to replace the cable which goes underneath? What cable did you replace? I have this exact problem so any information would be hugely appreciated as I too am tired of that annoying pop up!
I had to replace the bst cable it number 2 from the wiring chart I posted earlier part number 61126929324 however I strongly recommend you taking your car to bmw or anyone with coding knowledge and the dis program so it can pinpoint the exact cause of your pass restraint malfunction. I've read so many different things can trigger that one general error message so before you spend money like I did be sure.