E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Full E60 suspension overhaul - help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i
Arrow Full E60 suspension overhaul - help

Hi all,

I've had my '07 530i 6AT for almost four years now; the car was intended to be a stepping stone to a newer F10, but after having it for so long I've decided to keep it until it dies in spectacular fashion.

Currently the car has 159k miles. I replaced the shocks about 30k miles ago with the Bilstein street pair; I can't recall what the exact name is but they were supposed to be the most stock-related feel for everyday driving, as this is my daily. I quite enjoy how they feel but the rest of the suspension hasn't been touched since when I bought the car at 57k miles.

Is there a comprehensive list available that would help me with this overhaul? I am fine keeping the Bilsteins for now, and I am quite sure the springs were also replaced but am not sure with what. I can get the service records and find this out as it is important for me to know. Otherwise, I'd like to have pretty much everything replaced that should be as I am trying to restore the car to brand new or better levels of condition, particularly with ride quality but this will happen over every aspect of the car.

Assume that I will be doing all of this at one time, and that I want to keep ride as close to factory feel or better. I will never race / track the car. 80% of my miles are highway out on the Texas SH130 toll road as I drive from San Antonio to Round Rock weekly. I am open to replacing the Bilsteins with a coil-over setup presuming I have to do nothing to maintain it.

Thanks much.

- Scott
Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

At that mileage, the most likely issue will be the thrust arm bushings. Rare for them to last 70K, so wouldn't be surprised if they need doing. Second is likely the rear shocks. Third might be the wheel bearings and tire rods. All are DIY for a decent wrench.

There's no need to "replace everything".

That said, have a BMW tech carefully examine the suspension before you throw parts at it.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by banglenot
At that mileage, the most likely issue will be the thrust arm bushings. Rare for them to last 70K, so wouldn't be surprised if they need doing. Second is likely the rear shocks. Third might be the wheel bearings and tire rods. All are DIY for a decent wrench.

There's no need to "replace everything".

That said, have a BMW tech carefully examine the suspension before you throw parts at it.
+1. If you have the money to waist don't do it. Save it for when something fails.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Just my 2 cents... The OEM shocks are Sachs, not Bilstein. I just replaced my fronts with Bilstein B4s and regret it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by JayArras
Just my 2 cents... The OEM shocks are Sachs, not Bilstein. I just replaced my fronts with Bilstein B4s and regret it.
Regret fitting the B4s? How so, too harsh? Too not harsh? I see B6 is an option. My 535xi has close to 200k on the OE dampers and it's getting a mite floaty.