E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fuel Guage

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hey funny... I was reading the M5 messageboard and came across this thread... I've never noticed myself buy some claim that the E39 and probably the E60 Needle Fuel Guage is actually just a analog representation of the digital estimated range you're going to get out of the tank.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61908

Can anyone confirm?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='196966' date='Nov 11 2005, 09:13 PM
Hey funny... I was reading the M5 messageboard and came across this thread... I've never noticed myself buy some claim that the E39 and probably the E60 Needle Fuel Guage is actually just a analog representation of the digital estimated range you're going to get out of the tank.

Can anyone confirm?
Can't confirm or deny. I hope it's not true. What would be the point of providing the same info--both digital and analog versions?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

One thing I know is that the fuel gauge is digital as it uses sensors to detect the level of fuel in your car. And it is bloody expensive to replace it, my E39 broke down last time because the fuel gauge is not correct and we ran out of fuel. Usually when we fill up, we would leave the key in position 1 where the music is on right? I found that it will affect the reading of the fuel so I just shut off the whole car now when refueling.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='196992' date='Nov 11 2005, 06:47 PM
Usually when we fill up, we would leave the key in position 1 where the music is on right?
NO! never. I always shut down the car completly and keep the key in my pocket and wait outside the car by the pump and watch it. I dont trust it pumping outside when I'm inside... too dangerous and I never leave my key in the car when I'm not in it. I guess you never experinced a broken pump where it doesnt stop and it spills $10 worth of gas onto the floor eh?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Well, I don't have that problem to worry about. When I am in Canada, the pump doesn't have those clicks where you can hold the trigger I have to use the fuel cap if I don't want to wait outside when it is -40 celcius, but doesn't work well with the BMW's cap.

Now that I am in HK, all station is full service so I don't even need to get out.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='196996' date='Nov 11 2005, 06:59 PM
Well, I don't have that problem to worry about. When I am in Canada, the pump doesn't have those clicks where you can hold the trigger I have to use the fuel cap if I don't want to wait outside when it is -40 celcius, but doesn't work well with the BMW's cap.

Now that I am in HK, all station is full service so I don't even need to get out.
Hahah and you never spilled fuel before? Impressive...

Full service? FORGET IT! let me fill it up myself and pay less.. unless its -40 degress then I'll want full service. LA weather... I'll pump my own.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='197005

Hahah and you never spilled fuel before? Impressive...

Full service? FORGET IT! let me fill it up myself and pay less.. unless its -40 degress then I'll want full service. LA weather... I'll pump my own.
[/quote]

I don't mind doing it myself, I have never used full service in Canada. But here I have no choice. I think the same goes for Japan, have you been there and seen their gas station. The pump is at the ceiling and the nozzle hangs from the ceiling now that's space saving.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='196966' date='Nov 11 2005, 06:13 PM

Can anyone confirm?
I don't think this is true. I've started some tanks with poor-mpg city driving and then done my normal commute. I didn't notice the gas gauge suddenly reflect a greater "level" when I substantially improved the average mileage in a short time. The OBC did reflect an increase in the number of miles to empty however. Not a scientific measure by any means as I wasn't looking to validate the reading as fuel level versus range. If the E60 gauge is like other BMW ones it isn't necessarily linear but I don't know what kind of level sensor is used.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

If you read down to the bottom of the thread that was originally referenced, the guy posting states that the manual clearly says that the fuel guage is an actual representation of how much is in the tank. That seems to be a logical answer---wouldn't make sense for it to adjust when you have the on-board computer giving you estimated distance left until empty.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hoopsrob' post='197045' date='Nov 11 2005, 08:15 PM
If you read down to the bottom of the thread that was originally referenced, the guy posting states that the manual clearly says that the fuel guage is an actual representation of how much is in the tank. That seems to be a logical answer---wouldn't make sense for it to adjust when you have the on-board computer giving you estimated distance left until empty.
Ya I see it now but that post came up after I posted this thread... but I didnt check the manual for this kind of info. I didnt think the manual will go into that technical detail... its a users manual not a technical specifications guide so *shrugs* It makes more sense for the dial to be a representation of how much fuel is in the tank and not a needle of the range...

Quick Reply: Fuel Guage