E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fuel Contents Gauge inaccurate

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 530iSE.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and BMW's. I have just bought a 530iSE, born in Nov2003 with 56k miles. I'm pleased with it, although I regret not researching the way BMW's are specified- I only found out after buying it that it's a base model. With hindsight, I would have bought a larger capacity engine and looked for one with more toys. I haven't even got a CD changer...

Anyway, one thing that's really bugging me is that even with the fuel tank filled to the brim, the fuel contents gauge indicates only just over 3/4 full. I've searched the forum, but can't find this problem. My mpg is about 2mpg in error as per other forum threads, and all settings are for UK gallons, etc. With the fuel tank full, the 'range' (at 80mph on the motorway, reporting 37mpg), was reported as 392miles. I calculate that at 37mpg, the 15 gallon tank should give a range of at least 555 miles? I'm not sure how it calculates the range- whether it's using the tank contents, or not.

I've read that the hidden menu gives access to a correction factor for the mpg, but is there a method of correcting the problems I've described above?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

Welcome Andy
It's good to hear you're generally pleased with your new car, but a 530 isn't exactly a "base" model, you've got a great BMW straight 6 in there!
You can get quite a bit retrofitted if you fancy it, can be pricey, but worth a search here if there is something you really miss. CD changer is relatively cheap, but most go with either a full Ipod retrofit (check available for your model though) or much cheaper AUX-in.

The problem with the petrol gauge sounds to me like the one or more dodgy sender units in the fuel tank. Unless you know what you're doing it's probably best to get a decent independent garage take a look and give you a price.
The mpg calc threads I think you mention don't (as far as I know) rely on the tank senders to calc consumption.
If you're concerned about consumption better to brim tank and zero the odometer and work it out the old fashioned way. Then you can average out a few tankfulls and use the calibration you've mentioned.

If it were me, I'd investigate the possible sender issue as a priority - running it dry won't do your fuel filter any favours or your state of mind!
Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 530iSE.

Originally Posted by jonno_' post='554068' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:59 AM
Welcome Andy
The problem with the petrol gauge sounds to me like the one or more dodgy sender units in the fuel tank. Unless you know what you're doing it's probably best to get a decent independent garage take a look and give you a price.
The mpg calc threads I think you mention don't (as far as I know) rely on the tank senders to calc consumption.
If you're concerned about consumption better to brim tank and zero the odometer and work it out the old fashioned way. Then you can average out a few tankfulls and use the calibration you've mentioned.

If it were me, I'd investigate the possible sender issue as a priority - running it dry won't do your fuel filter any favours or your state of mind!
Thanks Jonno.

Filled the tank again today- and the gauge reads full!!! The other thing that's happened is that the mpg is reported as 34, but calculating manually, it comes out at 25, which is nearer to what I would have expected from a 3.0l (~200 miles motorway, ~95 miles driving around).

The manual, btw, states that the mpg IS calculated based on the fuel contents gauge!

Curiouser and curiouser.....