E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FUEL CONSUMPTION 530d

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to say how fabulous this thread is and how great you all are. I am thinking of buying a 530d sport as i want something quieter and more comfy to drive than my CLK 220 cdi. I was astonished with the power and feel of the lovely steering. My caveat is that I do 48k miles per year....!!!!!!! My CLK does 37 on a long term average 40 something if i drive like my mum. I was dissapointed as most small 2.2 deisals are well up near 50.. even the 3 series. I took a 520 d sport out and canned it and acheived still 40 something.... what with the face lift I dont know what to do, but this guide has been helpful, I cannot run to low 30s for such a dear car. 26 is very low and I agree there is something wrong with the car. Although I gather I would not expect more than 31-34 combined, so you are loosing 5 mpg... you could consider a chip? Or see what redress you have in the sales of goods and services act. i think you have a case especially as most of the people here are acheiving a little more. Try not to let it consume you and see this as a project to work on in a calm way. If you are patient you will be ok. Have a look at the ASA advertising standards agency website and regiter a complaint. However this will not help you , only go some way for it not happening in the future. Trading standards is an idea but it takes time. Try and get BMW to write to you saying that there is nothing wrong with the car. Once you have it in writing then you are laughing. If your lucky and you ask them to pop it in writing they are likely to offer to test it for you properly and fix it at no cost. Especially if you have your warranty.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by HRPOWER' post='375658' date='Jan 9 2007, 12:57 PM
I just wanted to say how fabulous this thread is and how great you all are. I am thinking of buying a 530d sport as i want something quieter and more comfy to drive than my CLK 220 cdi. I was astonished with the power and feel of the lovely steering. My caveat is that I do 48k miles per year....!!!!!!! My CLK does 37 on a long term average 40 something if i drive like my mum. I was dissapointed as most small 2.2 deisals are well up near 50.. even the 3 series. I took a 520 d sport out and canned it and acheived still 40 something.... what with the face lift I dont know what to do, but this guide has been helpful, I cannot run to low 30s for such a dear car. 26 is very low and I agree there is something wrong with the car. Although I gather I would not expect more than 31-34 combined, so you are loosing 5 mpg... you could consider a chip? Or see what redress you have in the sales of goods and services act. i think you have a case especially as most of the people here are acheiving a little more. Try not to let it consume you and see this as a project to work on in a calm way. If you are patient you will be ok. Have a look at the ASA advertising standards agency website and regiter a complaint. However this will not help you , only go some way for it not happening in the future. Trading standards is an idea but it takes time. Try and get BMW to write to you saying that there is nothing wrong with the car. Once you have it in writing then you are laughing. If your lucky and you ask them to pop it in writing they are likely to offer to test it for you properly and fix it at no cost. Especially if you have your warranty.
Well heres the update; the car has been in for a second opinion, its had the tank filled (by them) taken for a 57 mile trip, on A roads and some town work.

When I collected the car, I was charged for 10.2 ltrs, which is what it used during the testing. This proves that the car achived around 26mpg. I contacted customer services and informed them that the results had proved what we have been telling them all along. I was told that they needed to speak to the dealership to confirm the results.

Received a phone call on Monday saying that they were satisfied with the results and nothing more could be done! Thanks to the comments on this post I requested confirmation in writing, which has turned up today.

Guess what, in writing they state and I quote "During testing the dealership concluded that they obtained an average of 32.0 mpg using the physical method and 31.7 mpg using the on board computer".
The findings were discussed with the BMW Regional Technical Manager who has concluded that this average consumption is acceptable.

I have spoken to the Service Manager and customer service and informed them that the car only achieved 25-26mpg and am now waiting for a new letter to arrive.

What do I do now?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tony4449' post='383360' date='Jan 25 2007, 03:57 PM
What do I do now?
Nothing. BMW makes good cars, but that's it - Just good cars in terms of design, performance, handling, technologies & style. BMWs are also status cars (ie. when you drive one, it's like saying I made it). BMW as a company/entity is crap (to put it mildly). Love the car & hate the company all you want, but there is nothing you could do. BMW knows better than puting these findings in writing, you know that, I know that and everyone here know that.

If they do, however, you can scan and post this letter on every BMW Enthus.. website and email/fax it to every Automotive magazine you hear of and they WILL publish it.

I will tell you what you should do; two choices:
1- Nothing & enjoy the car
2- Get rid of the 5 and buy a Lexus GS (At Lexus you will be the King, and the car will be the Queen, and the delaer will be at your finger tip). The driving experience however, will be - as I read somewhere - like having sex with a hot chick that has passed out.

Goodluck
Old 01-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='383369' date='Jan 25 2007, 09:28 PM
Nothing. BMW makes good cars, but that's it - Just good cars in terms of design, performance, handling, technologies & style. BMWs are also status cars (ie. when you drive one, it's like saying I made it). BMW as a company/entity is crap (to put it mildly). Love the car & hate the company all you want, but there is nothing you could do. BMW knows better than puting these findings in writing, you know that, I know that and everyone here know that.

If they do, however, you can scan and post this letter on every BMW Enthus.. website and email/fax it to every Automotive magazine you hear of and they WILL publish it.

I will tell you what you should do; two choices:
1- Nothing & enjoy the car
2- Get rid of the 5 and buy a Lexus GS (At Lexus you will be the King, and the car will be the Queen, and the delaer will be at your finger tip). The driving experience however, will be - as I read somewhere - like having sex with a hot chick that has passed out.

Goodluck
If it makes you all happier, I can report a 120 mile trip to swap my 530D for a 6K on the clock E46 M3. mpg on the way - 41, mpg on the way back (eventually) 21!!

I never thought mpg is such an issue with performance BMW's, otherwise I would have kept the A4 1.9 TDI (130), got 59 mpg out of that but sooooo boring

Life is too short to worry about this, enyoy your E60's
Old 05-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Members

My Ride: [color=#000099][font=Verdana]Oct 2005 530d limousine, Silver Grey, Steptronic, Black Dakota leather, 17" Star Spoke style 138 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza 050A, extended air conditioning, M sports steering wheel, PDC, Xenon, ProSat Nav, Cruise Control, iDrive 19.02 [/font][/color]

Hi, this is my contribution, but in metric units. My 530d has 40 tkm and this is average in city.
Average consumption as per computer until reset was 10 l/100 km (measured for around 9000 km)
Attached Thumbnails FUEL CONSUMPTION 530d-dsc00070.jpg  
Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Members

My March 2004 530d auto is fairly new to me. So far brim to brim fill ups have resulted in 21, 25 and 22 mpg. The 25 was a mix of town with about 250 miles of fast motorway. The trouble is it's so tempting to floor it for that stupid grin!

Keith
Old 05-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KeithL' post='429280' date='May 29 2007, 07:05 AM
My March 2004 530d auto is fairly new to me. So far brim to brim fill ups have resulted in 21, 25 and 22 mpg. The 25 was a mix of town with about 250 miles of fast motorway. The trouble is it's so tempting to floor it for that stupid grin!
I have no idea how you can get those sorts of figures unless you have a leak (or iDrive is set to US gallons rather than imperial but from what you say you did a manual calculation).

I've never had figures that low in my 535d and that's comparatively thirsty.

ABC
Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='429281' date='May 29 2007, 07:23 AM
I have no idea how you can get those sorts of figures unless you have a leak (or iDrive is set to US gallons rather than imperial but from what you say you did a manual calculation).

I've never had figures that low in my 535d and that's comparatively thirsty.

ABC
Yes, that's accurate brim to brim calculations.

Keith
Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by KeithL' post='429303' date='May 29 2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, that's accurate brim to brim calculations.

Keith

You have a vet heavy right foot then.

My 2005 E61 530D gives 33.2mpg over the last 8,000 miles,
Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='429398' date='May 29 2007, 05:49 PM
You have a vet heavy right foot then.

My 2005 E61 530D gives 33.2mpg over the last 8,000 miles,
I'm getting around the 32mpg average mark... (As low as 28 and as high as 48...)

Quick Reply: FUEL CONSUMPTION 530d