E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fuel Computer!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 03:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignoring how accurate the measure is I find that the movement of the figure is very strange. My old car was 'accurate' to 1/10 mpg but actually changed in tenths. The BMW guage only seems to leap in 0.4/0.5/0.6 steps, so it goes from 36.4 mpg to 37.1 mpg for example... (Not through 36.5, 36.6, 36.7 etc...)

Anyone else?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I've never noticed the exact jump steps but I had noted that it does not change
smoothly - and my driving is not *that* erratic!
Old 01-31-2005, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

I have mine set to litres/100km and it seems to change in smaller steps.

While I have the ears of the two of you, do you not get very irritated by the turbo lag in this car? I love my car, but get really irritated after coasting off the gas and then hitting the gas how slow the car is to respond initially, slow enough to miss your gap in the traffic after which it lurches forward.

My 530D is at BMW at the moment to investigate this as well as a grinding gear change noise on kickdown.

The loaner they gave me (another 530D) has the same lag issues.

Streak
Old 01-31-2005, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I am not too worried about the lag - generally i not find it too bad.

My take on it is that the auto box does not always change down when the revs
drop (i.e. when coasting) and you get caught in too high a gear when you floor-it.

I have only really be caught-out once coming onto a motorway and felt that I had lost all power - as soon as the kick-down happened I was flying again!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by streak' date='Jan 31 2005, 12:49 PM
While I have the ears of the two of you, do you not get very irritated by the turbo lag in this car? I love my car, but get really irritated after coasting off the gas and then hitting the gas how slow the car is to respond initially, slow enough to miss your gap in the traffic after which it lurches forward.
I've been driving Turbo's (both petrol and diesel) for a while now and it doesn't seem to bother me too much... If I'm driving hard it keeps itself on-boost anyway

Really want that 535d - the small turbo must reduce the lag noticeably?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

YEs the bi-turbo 535D should take care of the lag, pity we wont be getting it here.

It's hard to keep the car at boost rpms when your foot is off the gas waiting for a gap!! Switching to manual or DS mode helps keep the revs higher but you need to remember to be in that mode.

Being at 5000 feet above sea level and having our 530D's detuned to 150kW (instead of the 160kW you guys get) also does not help!!

The Schnitzer ECU I fitted does help a lot and brings the power and torque in line (slightly higher in fact) with the Europen spec motor. It only however helps to increase the power/torque but cant get rid of the lag!!

Cheers

Streak
Old 01-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

what i normally do is not to just rely on auto-kick down when i floor the accelerator a little more - i tend to drive in DS position anyway: 'cos i notice my car needs a "heavy-foot" to get it moving - so when i need to rush & zip a little faster i manually downshift on the steptronic gear stick & floor the accelerator a little more
Old 01-31-2005, 05:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by streak' date='Jan 31 2005, 07:45 AM
YEs the bi-turbo 535D should take care of the lag, pity we wont be getting it here.

It's hard to keep the car at boost rpms when your foot is off the gas waiting for a gap!! Switching to manual or DS mode helps keep the revs higher but you need to remember to be in that mode.

Being at 5000 feet above sea level and having our 530D's detuned to 150kW (instead of the 160kW you guys get) also does not help!!

The Schnitzer ECU I fitted does help a lot and brings the power and torque in line (slightly higher in fact) with the Europen spec motor. It only however helps to increase the power/torque but cant get rid of the lag!!

Cheers

Streak
[snapback]85065[/snapback]
Till Oct 2004 I had a E60 530d (stolen) and I was not too worried about the lag.
Since Dec 04 with 535d it is really another feeling.
The best feel I can describe is not about less lag, that certainly it is noticeable, but the constant acceleration without any discontinuity, it seems to drive with an "electric engine with endless acceleration".
Just my 2 cents opinion.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

The fuel computer does change in bigger leaps when on mp/g, when i change back to l/100km it is in 0,1 scale.
I did have it on US mp/g for a few days to get a comparison with other peoples fuel economy. Still cannot get more then 23 mp/g smoothly cruising motorway economy after 8000 km now.

turbo lag? i can assure you there's none. I fully agree with Ricky.
If one of you guys would come around here, you're always welcome to give it a try!

Maybe stupid question? What happens if you floor it completely in order to engage kick-down. The engine will downshift a few gears by itself then, maybe enough to get the turbo working properly.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Hi Garehaan,
The 530 and 535D's I imagine are very different in throttle feel, two smaller turbos as opposed to one bigger one.

Flooring it just makes the problem worse as not only do yo have to wait for the turbo to spin up but you also have to wait for the box to change down. Gentle acceleration seems to work better.

I also find it strange that in car with so much electronic wizadry that you be careful how you apply the throttle to get the most out of the car. You should be able to just hit the gas and the restr happens automatically.

Under heavy acceleration there are times where I feel that the car tens to rev way beyond the torque peak and should have changed gears far earlier.

Anyway, depite these irritations which I hope BMW will fix some time soon, I still enjoy the car very much.

Streak

Quick Reply: Fuel Computer!?