E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FTM Works! Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Drove off this morning, and after about 1 mile got the FTM Warning. Returned home immediately and sure enough, the right rear was reading low (RR 32 psi, LR 40 psi, both fronts 36 psi). I had been watching the RR for the last two weeks after I noticed I picked up a nail. Initially there was a head--that's how I noticed it. After a week, the head was gone, and I could still see the shaft in the tread. Had been wondering if it penetrated the inner wall since initially there was no pressure loss.

So now what? Can you patch a run-flat? I know the book says you should not repair a damaged run-flat, but does a puncture like this constitute "damage"?

Is there a chance there is road hazard coverage from the dealer? These are new Dunlops that came with my CPO car purchased October 5th.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Thats funny... you noticed the head of a nail on your tire and you just left it and drove it for 2 weeks "monitoring it" till the head drove off? Hahahah What did you think was going to happen? Even if it didnt penetrate the tire in the first place after 2 weeks of driving you probably pushed it in.

Yes there is a road hazard program that the dealer offers IF YOU BOUGHT IT.

With all that said... They're run flats go repair it and dont worry about it.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

drove it for 2 weeks with the nailhead on what was you trying to prove?
I had 2 nails in my RFT before and it was OK after I patched it, but this was in HK not much long distent driving.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='368420' date='Dec 17 2006, 02:30 PM
Drove off this morning, and after about 1 mile got the FTM Warning. Returned home immediately and sure enough, the right rear was reading low (RR 32 psi, LR 40 psi, both fronts 36 psi). I had been watching the RR for the last two weeks after I noticed I picked up a nail. Initially there was a head--that's how I noticed it. After a week, the head was gone, and I could still see the shaft in the tread. Had been wondering if it penetrated the inner wall since initially there was no pressure loss.

So now what? Can you patch a run-flat? I know the book says you should not repair a damaged run-flat, but does a puncture like this constitute "damage"?

Is there a chance there is road hazard coverage from the dealer? These are new Dunlops that came with my CPO car purchased October 5th.
Yeah, driving the car with a nail in the tire was not the best idea. Anyway, the current pressure is 32 psi. It means that the tire is NOT flat. It has a slow leak caused by that nail. I would not think twice before plugging it from outside. The cheapest ($10-12) solution and a pretty safe one since the tire is RFT. Main reason why BMW does not approve FT repairs is because they cannot guarantee 100 mph RF ability since it could be unknown for how many miles you had driven on a flat tire. But once again you tire never got to flat (0psi) condition. 32 psi is within recommended range.