E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FTM Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:14 PM
MDT
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

I have never had a problem with my FTM before. I recently had to put on a new tire, the others had 24,000 miles on them. I recalibrated the FTM in the idrive, and everything was fine for about five days - then the alarm went off. I checked all the tires pressures and all were ok. I reset the FTM and again in about 5 days the alarm went off and again all the tires pressures were exactly where they should be.

Does anyone know if a new tire might set off the alarm as it "seats in"? In other words, as all the little rubber fingers and ridges wear off could it cause the FTM to alarm. The reason I somewhat suspect this, is when I bought a new X5, the FTM alarm went off and all the pressures were ok. I reset it and it has not happened since.

I searched this subject but could not find anything specific to a new tire causing the alarm. I did find that people do get false alarms with the FTM. Maybe I have just been lucky up to this point, not having any false alarms.

Any light anyone could shed on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by MDT' post='398191' date='Mar 3 2007, 08:14 PM
I have never had a problem with my FTM before. I recently had to put on a new tire, the others had 24,000 miles on them. I recalibrated the FTM in the idrive, and everything was fine for about five days - then the alarm went off. I checked all the tires pressures and all were ok. I reset the FTM and again in about 5 days the alarm went off and again all the tires pressures were exactly where they should be.

Does anyone know if a new tire might set off the alarm as it "seats in"? In other words, as all the little rubber fingers and ridges wear off could it cause the FTM to alarm. The reason I somewhat suspect this, is when I bought a new X5, the FTM alarm went off and all the pressures were ok. I reset it and it has not happened since.

I searched this subject but could not find anything specific to a new tire causing the alarm. I did find that people do get false alarms with the FTM. Maybe I have just been lucky up to this point, not having any false alarms.

Any light anyone could shed on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I'll see if I can help you, I had a similar problem
Did you follow the instruction in the manual and drive about 20 minutes or so?
Did status active ever come up on your screen after you did this?
If status active DIDN"T come up on your screen after you followed the instructions then you have a software problem. Take it to the dealer for a upgrade and everything will be fine. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 03-04-2007, 09:51 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Vern,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, each time I reset the FTM, I kept driving until the initializing notice changed to FTM active. Reseting the FTM is no problem, it is not knowing for sure if I have a low tire or a false alarm. It requires me to stop, get out of the car, check all the tires, reset the FTM and then drive off. I guess if it keeps happening I will have to take it to the dealer.

Thanks again.

Mike