E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FTM - Crying Wolf

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.
Question

Yesterday on a 2 hour drive back to Chicago, my FTM alert went off. I ignored it, as I had received 3 of these alerts over the past 2 weeks.

Suddenly a pickup came up on my right and waved to me that my rear-driver's side tire was flat. I pulled over and there was a 3" nail hanging from the sidewall and the tire was almost purely flat.

Luckily the spare and jack work great, in 5 minutes I was off and running again. But Dag it!! BMW dealership says its unpluggable (hole is on the sidewall). Gotta buy a new tire. (I do not have runflats).

Now I don't know whether to ignore and listen to the FTM warning, just to be sure!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

The same thing happened to us! We were always getting FTM messages, and I loaned the car to someone, and they called me panicked, saying it was going off. I asked if the car was driving funny, and she said, "no," so I told her just to keep driving to me & we'd look at it. Sure enough, there was a screw in the tire. Luckily we were able to get it plugged. So it does actually work when it is supposed to... I just wish it didn't work when it wasn't supposed to!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Members

My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Jan 5 2005, 01:28 PM
The same thing happened to us!? We were always getting FTM messages, and I loaned the car to someone, and they called me panicked, saying it was going off.? I asked if the car was driving funny, and she said, "no," so I told her just to keep driving to me & we'd look at it.? Sure enough, there was a screw in the tire.? Luckily we were able to get it plugged.? So it does actually work when it is supposed to... I just wish it didn't work when it wasn't supposed to!
[snapback]75936[/snapback]
Hmmm - had the FTM mesage yesterday - took it to service station - all was fine. Now I guess I wait to see what happens!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Exactly.

Didn't you all get the memo? The FTM system is now precognitive, depending on which software version you have of course!

Originally Posted by pbsaj' date='Jan 5 2005, 12:31 PM
Hmmm - had the FTM mesage yesterday - took it to service station - all was fine.? Now I guess I wait to see what happens!
[snapback]75938[/snapback]
Old 01-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Do you have run flat tires?? Then you should be able to drive on without changing the wheel..
Old 01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

No, I don't have run-flats.

(If I did have run-flats, there'd be no spare in the trunk, right? )
Old 01-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tcumbo' date='Jan 5 2005, 04:50 PM
No, I don't have run-flats.

(If I did have run-flats, there'd be no spare in the trunk, right? )
[snapback]76032[/snapback]
Actually you still get a doughnut sized spare with the run flats (at least here in the states). I've noticed this winter that my FTM goes off a lot more often (and incorrectly). This seems to have started both when I got v13.3 and when it got cold. It's easy enough to reset but annoying, agreed....next trip to the dealer I'll be mentioning it.

Other posts here have indicated that v15 will fix this issue....strange to me it was never an issue before v13.3....
Old 01-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Jan 5 2005, 05:18 PM
[Actually you still get a doughnut sized spare with the run flats (at least here in the states).? ....

Hmm... my dealer said you didn't get one. I didn't know!
Old 01-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

One year and a month and only Once had a problem with the FTM since the last Idrive upgrade (i think 13.something) have had no more problems. Am I lucky? or perhaps BMW finally got their acgt together
Old 01-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Members

Have you guys changed the pressure on the tires recently? You'll have to always reset the FTM or else they will detect and sound off a non existent puncture.

Happened to me 2 weeks ago, I went through the manual and realized you had to do it.

Quick Reply: FTM - Crying Wolf