E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frozen Gas Line???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey Veight

"So i released the brake and pumped the gas and tried again."

Never ever "pump the gas" on a new BMW when starting it.

Moisture can come into the gasoline thank if temps changes huge
and the gas tank is almost empty.

In the winter time it's smart to have the gas (diesel) tank pretty full
all the time.

Don't put any ethanol in the gas tank either.
Your cars engine is not planned for that.

Check out your gasoline dealer for what shit they are selling.

A proper BMW E60 i needs 98 octane gasoline, not the shit sold in the US.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Contributors

We get 93 ! yeah! Americaaaaaaaa F yeah.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='751423' date='Dec 23 2008, 03:37 PM
Hey Veight

"So i released the brake and pumped the gas and tried again."

Never ever "pump the gas" on a new BMW when starting it.

Moisture can come into the gasoline thank if temps changes huge
and the gas tank is almost empty.

In the winter time it's smart to have the gas (diesel) tank pretty full
all the time.

Don't put any ethanol in the gas tank either.
Your cars engine is not planned for that.

Check out your gasoline dealer for what shit they are selling.

A proper BMW E60 i needs 98 octane gasoline, not the shit sold in the US.

Hey why act like an ass.

I guess your 98 shit over there doesn't stink.

Well i think i covered the fact that the tank was full.

So i should drive the car to finland and fill up there each time i need gas. Seems sensible

Dude, all gas here in the US has ethanol. I always use premium and Shell BP and Mobil all have ethanol.

The reason your fuel goes to "98 Octane" is because you guys calculate octane differently.

your 98 octane is our 91.

And, by the way, you have to pump the pedal if the gas line is frozen. No other way to start it.

Act like an adult and watch your language.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

I think the options what happened were that for some reason there was water already in the system in your car or then the previous fuel station, which you used, had for some reason some water mixed with the fuel (maybe they have a leak somewhere and water is leaking into their system or something like that).

Maybe get you car checked just for sure (since it is working now okay then it wasn't that big deal anyway)?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='751841' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:36 AM
I think the options what happened were that for some reason there was water already in the system in your car or then the previous fuel station, which you used, had for some reason some water mixed with the fuel (maybe they have a leak somewhere and water is leaking into their system or something like that).

Maybe get you car checked just for sure (since it is working now okay then it wasn't that big deal anyway)?
Yeah, thats what I figured. I just hated to work the starter like that. It cranked for a bit until I realized I had to remove my foot from the brake. If this happens again I will try another gas station.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

From BMW SIB on Ethanol (SIB (130106)
Under certain environmental conditions, mainly lower ambient temperatures, ethanol separates from gasoline/alcohol mixture and absorbs water. The ethanol absorbed water molecules are heavier then gasoline or ethanol, they remain at the bottom of fuel tank and when introduced into combustion process they tend to form an extremely lean mixture resulting in misfire, rough idle and cold starting problems.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Veight' post='751994' date='Dec 24 2008, 05:10 PM
Yeah, thats what I figured. I just hated to work the starter like that. It cranked for a bit until I realized I had to remove my foot from the brake. If this happens again I will try another gas station.
Yeah Veight, sorry, as an excuse I'll give you a true story.

We did have a cottage up north in Lapland the 70's.
One Christmas it was minus 43 C (-45 F) outside and the car wouldn't start
since actually the whole engine was as ice.

My step dad did put up a small bonfire under the engine to warmed it up,
and after a while the car (a brand new M-B 220) did start.

But the gasoline was not frozen.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

A few days ago Mr MP left the car outside and I foolishly jumped in without realizing the temp was in the 80's and I almost roasted my ass on the hot..............oh never mind.!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I have never had this happen, but I always keep my gas tank well above the 1/2 tank mark. I concur with the suggestions that a nearly empty tank can introduce moisture in the gas lines possibly causing some freeze up. This would be true with any brand car and not exclusively BMW.

Quick Reply: Frozen Gas Line???