E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Frozen Gas Line???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Wednesday night in the Chicago area I had parked my car in my in-laws and after about 3 hours in 10 degrees F I had difficulty starting the car.

I pressed the brake as usual and pressed the start button and the car cranked like usual but would not turn over and start.

Normally with a key ignition, I would release the key and not crank it for too long maybe 3 seconds not any more to prevent damage to the starter. But with push button start, the car will continue to crank until you release the brake. Very strange feeling. You have to remember to release the brake or it just keeps trying to start.

So i released the brake and pumped the gas and tried again. same thing It cranked but no ignition.

I would say on the 4th attempt the car started up and I reved it a little and it seemed fine. I havent had a problem since last Wednesday when it was 10 degrees F.

When I had the car at the dealer on saturday for an oil change I asked the service writer and he said sometimes you get moisture in the gas that freezes in the gas line. And I thought it might be a frozen gas line. But with 10% ethanol in the gas already why would the gas freeze like this??

Anyone else have a frozen gas line recently???
Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Buddy, we are practically neighbors.

Trust me it was colder than 10. With the wind chill it was almost -40F and has been so for the past 2 nights. BRUTAL.

No surprise about the frozen gas line, especially if you did not have a full tank of gas. VERY important in cold weather to keep at least 1/2 tank.

P.S. - You have an MTech aero kit. How have you not torn your front bumper CLEAN off in this weather?! I mean, does your front end act as a makeshift snow plow? The only reason I won't get the kit is because I know I'd scrape, badly.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='750480' date='Dec 22 2008, 11:28 AM

Trust me it was colder than 10. With the wind chill it was almost -40F and has been so for the past 2 nights. BRUTAL.

No surprise about the frozen gas line, especially if you did not have a full tank of gas. VERY important in cold weather to keep at least 1/2 tank.
My Tank was full and this happened last Wednesday night when it was a balmy 10 degrees.

BTW Would wind chill have anyeffect on gas line freezes???
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='750482' date='Dec 22 2008, 11:37 AM
My Tank was full and this happened last Wednesday night when it was a balmy 10 degrees.

BTW Would wind chill have anyeffect on gas line freezes???

Yes, because the wind can blow under the car and effect the lines, (imo). Answer my question if you would about the mtech kit you have? =p
Old 12-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='750480' date='Dec 22 2008, 11:28 AM

P.S. - You have an MTech aero kit. How have you not torn your front bumper CLEAN off in this weather?! I mean, does your front end act as a makeshift snow plow? The only reason I won't get the kit is because I know I'd scrape, badly.

I have had the car for 2.5 years and I haven't even touched the bottom of the front bumper to a curb. I try to never pull up too close. Hasn't been an issue in the snow yet at all. And we had 13 inches in gurnee last Friday. I dont drive till they plow.

Biggest issue is pulling up too far in a parking space and that can happen any time of year.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Contributors

I think wind chill is an issue with a persons skin because of the drying effect, but with a gas line how would the gas inside the line freeze any faster if the wind was 30 mph vs. 1 mph? Its strictly temperature I believe, for something like a gas line freeze situation. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='750477' date='Dec 22 2008, 11:17 AM
Last Wednesday night in the Chicago area I had parked my car in my in-laws and after about 3 hours in 10 degrees F I had difficulty starting the car.

I pressed the brake as usual and pressed the start button and the car cranked like usual but would not turn over and start.

Normally with a key ignition, I would release the key and not crank it for too long maybe 3 seconds not any more to prevent damage to the starter. But with push button start, the car will continue to crank until you release the brake. Very strange feeling. You have to remember to release the brake or it just keeps trying to start.

So i released the brake and pumped the gas and tried again. same thing It cranked but no ignition.

I would say on the 4th attempt the car started up and I reved it a little and it seemed fine. I havent had a problem since last Wednesday when it was 10 degrees F.

When I had the car at the dealer on saturday for an oil change I asked the service writer and he said sometimes you get moisture in the gas that freezes in the gas line. And I thought it might be a frozen gas line. But with 10% ethanol in the gas already why would the gas freeze like this??

Anyone else have a frozen gas line recently???
Gotta keep your tank filled up so you don't get any moisture or add gasline antifreeze with basically is ethanol
Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='750611' date='Dec 22 2008, 02:48 PM
Gotta keep your tank filled up so you don't get any moisture or add gasline antifreeze with basically is ethanol

Uh mentioned my tank was full. gasline antifreeze huh.

okayyyy

So if I have 10% ethanol wouldnt't that be gasline (sp) antifreeze as you say?

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Members

If u know it's going 2 b that cold again,go 2 the adv auto or any parts store. Buy a bottle of that stuff I can't remember what it's called of hand. Anti freeze gas line or something like that and pour it in the tank.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JAY'545' post='750773' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:15 PM
If u know it's going 2 b that cold again,go 2 the adv auto or any parts store. Buy a bottle of that stuff I can't remember what it's called of hand. Anti freeze gas line or something like that and pour it in the tank.

The stuff is called Heat or Isoheet. The point I have been trying to make is that gas now has alcohol in it in the form of ethanol so why would someone have to add heat anymore. The only thing i can figure is that I bought bad gas that had some water in it.

If that day had be 30 below zero i would have understood. It was 10 degrees and shouldnt have frozen.

Quick Reply: Frozen Gas Line???