E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front Window Seal Gasket issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I took my wagon in for normal service and to get the Panoramic sun roof seal looked at.
I noted to my service adviser that the gasket on my front window was chipped in a couple places and that there was a loud wind noise at the head liner area in front.

Most of this came from the replacement Panoramic sun roof seal not being installed in the correct temp range and the adhesive failing ( Had horror story of the sun roof seal failing an the result was 5" of water in the back in and $3500 worth of new electronics and 25 days of labor to fix every thing need less to say I'm a bit paranoid of the sun roof and rain)There is a TSB on the new sun roof seals and that they need to be installed in a set range of temps which min was not....

Any how, The adviser called me back and said the Front window seal could be replace but BMW has stopped warranting them due to many dealers replacing them and asking to be reimbursed by BMW NA. BMW NA started asking for the used/"bad" seals and found out that many were damaged from road debris and "overly aggressive" chemicals in windscreen cleaners and Car washes. SO BMW NA won't pay for them to be replace under any warranty now... So far the repairs have been very good with all my documented issues on both cars ( HPFP buy back and the seal failing on the first day of my CPO ownership which I did not get either car from them)... does this sound a bit fishy...

They want roughly $160-70 for the replacement wind screen seal/tax/install. Every thing else on the service trip was covered under the normal 4y50k and the car also has a CPO on it for two more years.

I have read that this was another likely area for all the wind noise I have been getting on the highway in addition to the Sunroof seal.

Any thoughts? Yeah I know I could spend a afternoon in the drive way and replace it my self for a 3rd of the cost , but any one hear of this particular part not being covered any more or made a "Ware and Tear" item like a clutch on a 6sp or M5 or the front wind shield from pitting.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about the little rubber trim piece that runs across the top of the windshield? If so, it won't take you an afternoon and a third of the price to fix... It will cost you about $10 and 5 minutes in your driveway. I replaced that one and the one around the back window as well for about $35 and 15 minutes when my service advisor told me that the glass had to be removed in order to replace those. It will cost you far less time and aggravation to just order the part from www.realoem.com and just do it yourself. If your dealer is like mine, then you are looking at a day without your car and having to schedule the service, etc. If you are not talking about that part, then sorry for the confusion on my part.