E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front plate.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i have an extra OEM front plate holder that came on my car from the factory...but i live in michigan where we dont have front plates...so i took it off. its definitely the type that needs to be drilled in though.

you can have it for free if you want it. just pay actual shipping costs i guess...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by leese8080
You can actually get a full ticket and not a fix-it-tix. My buddy on the forum got a ticket that was over $150 last year and I too decided to mount back my front plates. LA is pretty strict.
Yeah, I have been hearing that. Though I have heard of people only getting it as fix it after that law passed. So really at the discretion of the office it seems.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Rez
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2021 BMW 540i XDrive Bluestone Metallic on Ivory White Napa Leather. Packages: Executive, M Sport, Parking Assistance, Luxury Seating, Shadowline. Options: M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers, Body Color Rocker Panel Blades and Spoiler, Heated Steering
Model Year: 2021

Here in Texas, or in the Dallas area at least, the front plate is where the cops shoot their lasers at to see if you're speeding, or not. So obviously if that favorite spot is missing, it annoys them. So a ticket is hard to avoid!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

2 fix it tickets for no front plate in the past 11 months with my e90 m3...

1st was a fix it ticket, primarily pulled over for that..

2nd was a speeding ticket, but talked my way out of that and got only the front plate fix it ticket...officer said he had to write me up for something..I'll take the fix it over the speeding...

each ticket was a $25 fine IIRC once I got the ticket signed off,...if I end up getting another one I'll be getting the rho plate mount...

another inexpensive drilless option:

http://www.m3post.co...ad.php?t=392768

I've also heard some people using magnetic mount (I've seen for parked car, not sure how that holds up at high speeds) or even double sided tape
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Members

Magnetic mount? What's to stop someone from walking by and just grabbing it off your bumper? A strong magnet?

chris: what condition is the bracket in? still useable? no cracks? What would shipping cost be on that, do you know?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM
ADD
Senior Members

+1 on

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

I have had it since new, and no problems whatsoever.

I HATE the look of the tow hook plates. Looks like it belongs on a Honda Civic with the unpainted front skirt trim that flaps in the wind on the sides when they drive down the highway... you all know what I mean.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
2 fix it tickets for no front plate in the past 11 months with my e90 m3...

1st was a fix it ticket, primarily pulled over for that..

2nd was a speeding ticket, but talked my way out of that and got only the front plate fix it ticket...officer said he had to write me up for something..I'll take the fix it over the speeding...

each ticket was a $25 fine IIRC once I got the ticket signed off,...if I end up getting another one I'll be getting the rho plate mount...

another inexpensive drilless option:

http://www.m3post.co...ad.php?t=392768

I've also heard some people using magnetic mount (I've seen for parked car, not sure how that holds up at high speeds) or even double sided tape
This Autozone one seems pretty cool. While I have the motorcepts retractable, I haven't had the chance to install it (too lazy). Also, I didn't want to do any cutting of the MTech grill.
I currently have my from plate zip tied on the grill "mouth". My buddy who is a CHP says that he can give me a ticket if he wants to be an a$$ because by law the plates have to be "securely" mounted. Zip-ties does not fall in the secure category.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Oh and BTW, he also says that by law the plates have to be securely mounted at least 12" from the ground. Having it zip-tied to the MTech grill is only about 8".
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I have heard of the magnetic mount before as well. If it's using the strong magnet that I am thinking, it coming off at high speed shouldn't be a problem. I have played with some damn strong magnets in the past, and they're pretty insane.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Contributors

A quick google and I saw this:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387209

Do you guys have other links to magnet mounts?

Quick Reply: Front plate.