E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 12:03 PM
huy
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I ran across this forum by accident and it has turned out to be GREAT!!!

I havn't installed the front license plate holder/frame on my 545i yet; no holes in the bumper! i'd like to keep it that way if i can, but since I'm in CA which requires one, it's going to have to be installed soon.. is there a way to mount the license plate without drilling any holes into the bumper??
Old 03-02-2005, 12:22 PM

Talking

Wanna put it up for sale?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I also live in CA and haven't had a front license plate on my cars for the last 10 years. Got a ticket 5 years ago after a cop pulled me over for running a red light, and I told him I was certain I was past the white line before it went red. So he walked around my car looking for something to give me a ticket for, and settled on the front plate. It's a "fix it" non-moving violation ticket, meaning you put the front plate on, have a cop sign the ticket confirming you fixed the issue, and mail it in with the fine, and no points on your license. The time I got pulled over was in a Carrera, which has the holes punched at the factory, so I installed the bracket/plate, then removed them after I got home. On a 5er, if I get a ticket, I'll use double sided tape to temporarily hold the bracket in place.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:46 PM
JDN
Contributors

I'm still running successfully wo a front plate in Texas which is also a 2-plate state. When caught, some of our peers have been required to present the vehicle to the registration desk person for inspection of the mount. If it's not bolted on, the ticket goes forward, probably with more emphasis.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Don't your police in the state's have more important things to do ...
Old 03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

It's a $35 fine here (I have yet to receive one) so it's a simple matter of economics: how many times could I be ticketed before I would give in and mount the plate? I'm estimating ten times.

Plus, I assume that when I do get pulled over the lack of the front plate will be the least of my worries.

And welcome HUY.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, huy !
Old 03-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

No front plates in Florida.

Damn those things are gay.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by stream' date='Mar 2 2005, 04:23 PM
I also live in CA and haven't had a front license plate on my cars for the last 10 years.? Got a ticket 5 years ago after a cop pulled me over for running a red light, and I told him I was certain I was past the white line before it went red.? So he walked around my car looking for something to give me a ticket for, and settled on the front plate.? It's a "fix it" non-moving violation ticket, meaning you put the front plate on, have a cop sign the ticket confirming you fixed the issue, and mail it in with the fine, and no points on your license.? The time I got pulled over was in a Carrera, which has the holes punched at the factory, so I installed the bracket/plate, then removed them after I got home.? On a 5er, if I get a ticket, I'll use double sided tape to temporarily hold the bracket in place.
[snapback]96190[/snapback]
Ditto, but I was in a 4 runner, not a carrera. Don't put it on. Highway patrol seem the most likely to give you a fix it ticket. When I got my fix it ticket signed off, the officer asked who gave me the ticket. I told him it was it CHP, and he stated "figures".
Old 03-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, 6 speed, black sapphire with beige leather, style 128 wheels, and clear bra.

that was me

Quick Reply: Front license plate holder