E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front end noisy

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by covinsky' post='1085468' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:07 PM
Two new BMW front struts and $1000 parts and labor. Now everything is nice and quiet! Chris
Can anyone give me some clues as to why the struts were not diagnosed by the mechanic instead of replacing what seems to be extra parts? I'm not criticizing but asking if it is difficult to determine properly functioning control arms and sway bar links in these cars? It seems to me if there isn't any play or looseness in these parts then you would look elsewhere for the cause of the noise.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 White 530xi

Very valid point, had I not known my indy for some time I would have thought the same way. Lower control arm bushings are a common problem on e60's and they needed to be replaced. When that didn't eliminate the noise, the sway bar end links are known to make noise when bad. I visually inspected these with my indy and could obviously tell the drivers side was shot and needed to replace both. No other front end components that failed inspection, my indy pulled the drivers side strut to discover it was blown, and he replaced both struts and aligned it. I have read that BMW struts don't act like many other domestic struts, in that when they are in need of replacement, they don't bounce up and down like you expect from a worn out shock or strut. Just a further note, I paid a BMW dealership for a prepurchase inspection of this car before I bought it. They found the worn out lower control arm bushings and several other small things, but they missed the drivers side blown strut. I guess the technician heard the noise, saw the damaged lower control arm bushings and figured they were the only cause of the noise. Hope this may help others. Chris
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by covinsky' post='1087148' date='Jan 9 2010, 10:09 AM
Very valid point, had I not known my indy for some time I would have thought the same way. Lower control arm bushings are a common problem on e60's and they needed to be replaced. When that didn't eliminate the noise, the sway bar end links are known to make noise when bad. I visually inspected these with my indy and could obviously tell the drivers side was shot and needed to replace both. No other front end components that failed inspection, my indy pulled the drivers side strut to discover it was blown, and he replaced both struts and aligned it. I have read that BMW struts don't act like many other domestic struts, in that when they are in need of replacement, they don't bounce up and down like you expect from a worn out shock or strut. Just a further note, I paid a BMW dealership for a prepurchase inspection of this car before I bought it. They found the worn out lower control arm bushings and several other small things, but they missed the drivers side blown strut. I guess the technician heard the noise, saw the damaged lower control arm bushings and figured they were the only cause of the noise. Hope this may help others. Chris
Im glad you got it fix easiest way to determine bad shocks/struts is to look at the tire on my car the front tires were choppy and cut up lookin on the edges thats why i replace the shocks first and it ended up eliminating the noise completely.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by APWTE6O' post='1087326' date='Jan 9 2010, 05:35 PM
Im glad you got it fix easiest way to determine bad shocks/struts is to look at the tire on my car the front tires were choppy and cut up lookin on the edges thats why i replace the shocks first and it ended up eliminating the noise completely.
Tire chop is usually due to a toe problem...i.e. worn tie rod ends or out of spec alignment. A strut will cause a camber problem on many vehicles, although i am not sure about our cars.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

How much is strut repair apt to run at the dealer? By repair, I mean replacement? I have the same clunking noise -- wondering if I should go to the dealer or find an Indy (anyone know any good mechanics in the Ann Arbor, MI area?) Should I replace shocks first and just see what happens?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 White 530xi

I recommend doing your research to find a fair and qualified indy in your area. Labor should be around 2 hours per side and each front strut you should be able to buy from BMW around $300 each for an xi model if you shop around. If yours is a two wheel drive, you probably could get a quality non-BMW strut for less. Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Members

Well, I'm experiencing that front end noise too. It is like the whole front end is going to fall off when driving to a speed bumb. If I drive it to it with walking speed it makes that noise but if I drive faster it does not.

I have changed all control arms, linkages, struts and only sway bar bushings are left.

Whatta hell is this. This noise is felt even in my foot when left foot is resting in the floor.

I thought that it could be engine bushings, but when pressing gas and brake at the same thing, no clunking noise or anything is heard.

help!!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Members

Any ideas?