E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front bumper / spoiler ripped off !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH MAN AM I P!SSED OFF!!!!!

I parked in a parking spot with one of those long concrete blocks which apparently stops you from going too close to the wall.

Anyway, when I parked, my front spoiler cleared the block.. I heard no noise.

As I reversed out, CRAAAAAAAAACK... it ripped my f.cken spoiler off the clips, and the left and right side of the spoiler is now just hanging there! Some clips were ripped and damaged and the left fog light wiring is also broken.

I'm NOT FRIGGIN HAPPY!

My car is a standard stock height! I can't believe the council would put such stupid blocks in a public parking spot!

Now to deal with all the insurance BS and having the car off the road for repairs!!!!!

Do you guys think I should complain to the council on this??
Old 03-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 525i Executive

Originally Posted by 530i-M

I parked in a parking spot with one of those long concrete blocks which apparently stops you from going too close to the wall.

As I reversed out, CRAAAAAAAAACK... it ripped my f.cken spoiler off the clips, and the left and right side of the spoiler is now just hanging there! Some clips were ripped and damaged and the left fog light wiring is also broken.

I'm NOT FRIGGIN HAPPY!

My car is a standard stock height! I can't believe the council would put such stupid blocks in a public parking spot!

Now to deal with all the insurance BS and having the car off the road for repairs!!!!!

by law you have to be able to clear roughly a softdrink can (sitting up) under your car. so if those curbs are at about the same height, you cant really do anything
Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 AM
Members

My Ride: Current rides: 2011 Z4 35i MSport DCT (pictures coming) 2010 535i MSport 2008K1200GT (Sold) 2001 541i MSport (Sold) 2007 Z4 Coupe

Originally Posted by 530i-M

I'm NOT FRIGGIN HAPPY!

Feel for you man. I did the same thing on my 540 and learned an expensive lesson. Waitng for the GF to do it next. The 535 seesm to have a little more clerance.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

This happened to me at my BMW dealership with my retired 325iT. The damage looked slight until a small piece of the underside fell off on the highway and I ran over the piece. It didn't involve the actual bumper but the small piece between the bumper and the wheel well. Only cost $135 to get fixed at an auto body shop. I complained to dealer principal and he didn't hesitate and gave me a cheque for the amount. Now thats customer service.
Doubtful you'll get anywhere with 'council' but it costs nothing to ask.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Sorry man. GL on the repairs.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Damn that blows. I rubbed the bottom of my front bumper all the time in my E39 540i Sport. The 550I Sport seems to have more clearance.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Members

Yep this REALLY blows! Can't understand how a stock standard, un-lowered car can suffer that much damage from a friggin curb!

I will write a formal letter of complaint to the council, and seek reimbursement for the insurance excess, and threaten legal action if they don't offer some form of reimbursement for this mess.

Worth trying I guess

I mean, fair enough if my car was lowered, but it's at the stock ride height! I find the placement of these f.cking concrete blocks in public parking bays absolutely ridiculous to be honest!

AND BMW should position the friggin parkin sensors a bit lower so it can detect such obstacles!!!!!!! CRAP DESIGN!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

sadly, i think some or many of us learn the hard way at some point in time that you should never park over or close to curbs in a bmw, or any other low profile car.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
sadly, i think some or many of us learn the hard way at some point in time that you should never park over or close to curbs in a bmw, or any other low profile car.
People at my work make fun of me that I'm like 3 feet from any curb. Well dammit I know better. I'm not going to even take the chance!!!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Members

Well I found out that the concrete wheel stops which caused this damage is non-compliant with Australian Standards AS2890.1:2004, which stipulates a max height of 100mm. These wheel stops were WAY over that height!

I will try to seek compensation from the property owners based on the fact that their wheel stops are non-compliant, and causing damage to other people's private property!!!

Quick Reply: Front bumper / spoiler ripped off !!!!!!!