E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't ever let anyone drive your car. I repeat don't let anyone ever drive your car.

Even family.....thinking they would take excellent care of it!

Let my Mother use my car a few days ago. I was just walking out of Best Buy and looked at the lower passenger side bumper. At first I thought it was dirt until I looked closer. Looks like she either pulled too close to a curb or parking stopper. Now the lower portion is scrapped up. You really can't see it however I know it's there and now it driving me nuts!!!!!!!!

Anyone know how much the front bumper is for this car??? I know for my E46 the front bumper cover was like $226.00 USD and that was from BMW; not remanufactured or 3rd party manufacturer.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I am going Nucking Futs!!!

Old 07-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I feel with you. I've learned this lesson the hard way a couple years ago and since then there are just and only two people in Frankfurt who are allowed to drive my car. My wife and my self. When I have to give it to my dealer I remind them, that there is only one guy at the dealership who is allowed to drive it - because about ten years earlier I made some real bad experiences with the guys at the dealership, taking my car for a "testdrive"...
Old 07-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Dude, I love my mother as much as I love my mother. But I would NEVER let her borrow my car especially a new E60.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Members

I totally agree!

Iceman: I am the same as you at the dealer. I only let my tech, whom I trust, drive my car.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Members

Gotbmw,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had my front bumper replaced, was not my mother that did it. This was done by me a week after delivery.

The dealer replace and painted it for $1200; Costly mistake. The repair shop would have done it for about $400 cheaper. But, I would have always felt like it was a bandade on it.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:31 AM
Members

Bummer...

I scraped my front bumper (and wheel) on a curb 1 week after deliver also. I think it was because I wasn't used to the Active Steering yet.

I had the bumper cover removed, repaired and repainted for $450 at the body shop my dealer uses. I had the wheel reconditioned later for about $125.

The first scar always hurts no matter who does it!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

E60 coyote has been there! I have the same curb rash, though no one to gripe about as I did it! I have gone to the dealer and the "bumper cover" as the plastic piece is called was around $200-$250, primed, not painted. Sounds likecoyote got his painted for $200+ or so. It does suck, but mine is hard to see, very low, almost on the bottom, so I have yet to get it fixed. And yes, no one else drive my car. I did let the wife take it for a spin around the block when I first got it, but nothing since!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Members

I may wait to fix it as it is just like yours, kscarrol. Very low and unless you have excellent eyes like mine the average person is not going to see it. So I will probably wait until after this years winter and then most likely get it fixed next spring.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

mine has a gouge the size of the tip of my little finger
and a second one half that size
up
beside the headlight
right into the plastic and down below the colour
not a clue how it happened

i'll survive
why bother changing it when it'll happen again
Old 07-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Members

kscarrol - Good estimate. The price breakdown for my repair was as follows:

$180 - remove and repair bumper cover (5 hrs labor)
$240 - paint labor and supplies (4 hrs paint labor)
$30 - other materials

I chose to have the cover repaired instead of buying a new one because it was slightly cheaper and the damage was minor. There were scraps (into the plastic) on the right lower corner about 1"-2" up from the bottom and underneath the cover. They had to completely remove the cover because after they made the repair and blended the paint, the whole cover needed to be clear coated again.

Just a note too, I am having it repainted again because I was unhappy with the paint job the first time around. The metallic flakes "pooled" in one spot causing it to look white. It is very hard to notice, but I am picky about that kind of thing and the body shop is redoing it for free.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper