E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Freak Throttle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

2005 545i Auto, 36K miles (or so)

I was leaving the grocery store this evening and my 5 scared the crap out of me. I backed out of the parking spot, pulled the gear shift down into D. There was a lady walking down the aisle and a car coming the other way so I was creeping along giving her some room. I reached down and put her in DS then reach up and held the DTC button down to turn it off completely. Right when I pushed the button the engine kicked up to 7K RPM and the back wheels started spinning. Luckily my foot was on the brake so I pushed down harder and she was just spinning. I reached back down and threw her into Neutral. At that point the tach was maxed out and I thought she was going to blow. I quickly shut her down and sat there for a few seconds trying to figure out what was going on. The lady wasn't in the aisle anymore, she had apparently ducked between a couple of cars when she heard the screeching wheels. There were also a bunch of other people just staring. I was embarrassed that my fantastic new car had done this, but I was also worried that it would do it again.

I drove home with my foot ready to mash the brake but it didn't do it again. Has this ever happened to anyone? Did I confuse the computer by making too many changes at once? Should I turn off DTC before putting her into gear?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gavin8r545i' post='650419' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:43 PM
2005 545i Auto, 36K miles (or so)

I was leaving the grocery store this evening and my 5 scared the crap out of me. I backed out of the parking spot, pulled the gear shift down into D. There was a lady walking down the aisle and a car coming the other way so I was creeping along giving her some room. I reached down and put her in DS then reach up and held the DTC button down to turn it off completely. Right when I pushed the button the engine kicked up to 7K RPM and the back wheels started spinning. Luckily my foot was on the brake so I pushed down harder and she was just spinning. I reached back down and threw her into Neutral. At that point the tach was maxed out and I thought she was going to blow. I quickly shut her down and sat there for a few seconds trying to figure out what was going on. The lady wasn't in the aisle anymore, she had apparently ducked between a couple of cars when she heard the screeching wheels. There were also a bunch of other people just staring. I was embarrassed that my fantastic new car had done this, but I was also worried that it would do it again.

I drove home with my foot ready to mash the brake but it didn't do it again. Has this ever happened to anyone? Did I confuse the computer by making too many changes at once? Should I turn off DTC before putting her into gear?

I suspect a very dangerous lemon.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='650425' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:49 PM
I suspect a very dangerous lemon.
The thing that sucks the most is that I'm now quite gun shy.
Hopefully it was just a freak thing and not some hazardous citrus.

I've only put about 1000 miles on her since I got her at 35K miles. Would have thought if it was a lemon it would have shown it's ugly mug for the previous owner.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

YIKES! That is a spooky thing!

Keep us posted!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

Happened in my old stang before, but I used to beat the sh&t outta that thing! I'd let BMW check it out, that's not something to be overlooked! GL, let us know the verdict!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

YIPES!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Contributors

Thumbs up

Your local BMW dealer can 'read' the car and find out exactly what happened. It should have recorded the exact mile when this happened along with the error code(s). I learned recently that our cars have no idea what the time/date is, which is a little odd when you think about it given that this data IS typed in by the owner, but it does accurately record each error message by the odometer.

Why turn off the DTC to pull out of a parking lot anyway though? Is this something you 8-cylinder guys do? I have the 530i and have never wanted to mess with that or felt the need either. NRN if too off-topic.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Members

Maybe you triggered a hidden launch sequence in E60 step or SMG? Why mess with DTC doing grocery shopping?

Left windows auto up + DTC + trottle + shifting park to DS = fastest 0-60 time in your e60

If you are concerned, go get a full CIP update on the car.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 04' 525i in Mystic Blue

Holy cow!! better get that problem checked ASAP!!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Congrats on the new (to you) car and enjoy the forums!! But first....GET THE CAR TO THE DEALER!!

Quick Reply: Freak Throttle Problem