E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Found a gremlin in I-Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

I normally park my car with CD/Changer muted, and lock the car with the remote.

If after the car has gone to sleep, and I unlock the car with the key instead, when I start the engine, I will get the radio; the two programmable buttons will revert to the default setting; all stored radio stations will be lost and have the same freq. set. However, if I switch to CD/Changer, the system will remember where I have left off.

Once I lock and unlock using the remote again, everything will be back to normal, with CD/Changer muted as I have left it.

I will now try to unlock using my remote, and lock using the key instead, and see if the system will remember the stored radio stations instead.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:23 AM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Mar 17 2005, 04:11 PM

If after the car has gone to sleep, and I unlock the car with the key instead, when I start the engine, I will get the radio; the two programmable buttons will revert to the default setting; all stored radio stations will be lost and have the same freq. set. However, if I switch to CD/Changer, the system will remember where I have left off.

Once I lock and unlock using the remote again, everything will be back to normal, with CD/Changer muted as I have left it.

I will now try to unlock using my remote, and lock using the key instead, and see if the system will remember the stored radio stations instead.
[snapback]102789[/snapback]

Not sure, but I guess...
Each key stores some settings like A/C temperature choosen, door locking procedure, radio stations... if you don't use the key remote the car doesn't recognise you and it starts with "default" settings.
You can test opening the car with one key and make some adjustements; close the car with the same key, and then open with the other one. Settings would be different in each case. /Always acting with the remote of course...)
Old 03-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Contributors

I'm surprised you only found 1!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Shouldn't this topic be named: "Found a gremlin: IDRIVE"
Old 03-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Mar 17 2005, 09:11 AM

[snapback]102789[/snapback]
You found only one?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
JMB
Members

... I have an excuse, I'm still enjoying my E39, and waiting for my E60 (end of April?)
Old 03-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

My point is this a bug that shouldn't be there as it can be consistently repeated.

If I write a program that allows 2 ways of accessing I will be darn sure I test both routes.

The others are glitches that can be hard to catch or known but can't be solved yet.

I am sure there are many more of these.

Also, some people commented the stored radio stations disappeared for no reason, and came back after restarting the engine. I thought this could be the reason too.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JMB' date='Mar 17 2005, 10:23 AM
Not sure, but I guess...
Each key stores some settings like A/C temperature choosen, door locking procedure, radio stations... if you don't use the key remote the car doesn't recognise you and it starts with "default" settings.
You can test opening the car with one key and make some adjustements; close the car with the same key, and then open with the other one. Settings would be different in each case. /Always acting with the remote of course...)
[snapback]102836[/snapback]
I was use the same key. The CD/Changer settings were ok. It's just stored radio stations were all gone.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:39 PM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Mar 18 2005, 03:14 AM
[quote name='JMB' date='Mar 17 2005, 10:23 AM']Not sure, but I guess...
[snapback]102836[/snapback]
I was use the same key. The CD/Changer settings were ok. It's just stored radio stations were all gone.
[snapback]103085[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry, my english is not very good and perhaps I didn't express correctly.
My guessing is:

When you press the key buttom to open the door, the transmiter sends the data to the car, the driver is "identified" and his preferences are loaded (not only radio stations, but temperature, seat position if electric, locking doors or not when running, "follow me home" function, brightness of HUD, etc).

If the driver opens manually (not pressing the open buttom) no data is transferred, driver is not identified and preferences are not loaded.

As programmers say may be "system is working as designed".

Who knows!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JMB' date='Mar 17 2005, 08:39 PM
Sorry, my english is not very good and perhaps I didn't express correctly.
My guessing is:

When you press the key buttom to open the door, the transmiter sends the data to the car, the driver is "identified" and his preferences are loaded (not only radio stations, but temperature, seat position if electric, locking doors or not when running, "follow me home" function, brightness of HUD, etc).

If the driver opens manually (not pressing the open buttom) no data is transferred, driver is not identified and preferences are not loaded.

As programmers say may be "system is working as designed".

Who knows!?
[snapback]103095[/snapback]
Understood. If it was like this, then we can 4 settings with just 2 keys. Not a bad idea.

However, I saw a doc at the workshop that states the ID will be transmitted when the remove unlock is pressed or when the key is inserted into the start cylinder if unlock via the key.