E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Forgive me, Forum, for I have sinned...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Apr 12 2005, 01:14 PM
Dear forum frequenters,

The CLS has captured my imagination whereas Bangle's vision has left me partially blind; maybe the '07/'08 e60 re-freshening LASIK will restore my sight so that I may see past the 'flame-surfaced' panels of the exterior, geometrically misaligned furnishings of the interior, and overabundance of fussy gewgaws, to the pure driving machine underneath. Meanwhile, the seductive CLS is beckoning me with its rock-star poseur promises and, according to all reviews thus far, a solid performance when actually driving.

I am weak... I am the weathervane for temptation lightning... I am as loyal to a brand as infrequent Cola drinkers.

And I am now severely torn between the 5-series and the CLS. Though I perused the other offerings from other marques and while some may be quite adequate (e.g. both the Lexus GS and Infiniti M seem light-years ahead of when I compared their respective iterations prior to my e39 purchase) I simply felt no attachment to them. Oh, woe is me...

There will be some of you who may deride this post as nothing more than useless whiny drivel which I should not have wasted your time with. If that is the case - ha ha! score one point for me since it is patently obvious that my sole aim and goal in life is to take time away from your cubicle adventures in Solitaire.

For the more educated/less Neolithic among us, I hope you can understand my need for your opinion and your intervention. I implore you to help save me from myself.

In the end, if it makes any of you feel any better, I will flagellate myself mercilessly (mea culpa... mea culpa... mea maxima culpa...) before plunging into the Aegean until I come to my senses and place a deposit on the M5 instead.

Oh, and thanks for reading -- feel free to continue that game of Solitaire or Hearts at your leisure.
[snapback]114507[/snapback]

CLS has an absolutely amazing interior, IMHO, the best I've seen. Better than any Audi as well. The exterior is nice too and my hats off to MB for attempting such a bold design.

The CLS versus e60, is apples to oranges. If you really like design elements and uniqueness (Avanti type), the MB is the only way to go. Get the E60 if you like the subtle approach and the best handling sports sedan on the planet.

CVT Benhogan

Pondering entering into the 550 versus 545 debate

PS Long live Bangle. I get it!!!!! The CLS dash is simply sublime, although the rear doors remind me of the movie "Waiting for John Malcovich".
Old 04-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Members

My Ride: M5 SilverstoneII / Siverstone Fully loaded

A few weeks ago my local dealer loaned me a 535d Sport for a couple of days.

The exterior looks grew on me over the 2 days.

In contrast the interior totally turned me off. and as for the I drive I found it very frustrating to use.

The ride and performance were OK but did not make up for the uninspiring space I was seated in

When I got my old E39 back I did not give the E60 a second thought.

There is the problem for BMW

I am now looking to change my car. I think I will end up keeping my current E39 530d until BMW sorts its self out as I am sure it will.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:53 PM

Yours is indeed a VERY well-written post.

You have GOTTA drive these two vehicles. After all, that's what you'll be doing with whichever one you purchase after you buy it.

I had a 2003 E500, and found that it did not come close to comparing to the 545i SP in terms of driving. Worlds apart. The E500 was just floaty, soft and sloppy by comparison. The real killer was that, in spite of the soft suspension, the ride over rough pavement was pretty poor.

As far as looks, that's up to you. The CLS is a lotta' dough for a tarted-up E500.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 12 2005, 12:53 PM
..... The CLS is a lotta' dough for a tarted-up E500.
[snapback]114591[/snapback]
Very well put. My sentiments exactly.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

I have been in doubt between the CLS and my current 535d.
So I ended up in the 535d.

Why?

1) Based on Dutch Calvinistic calculations i needed a diesel
2) My last first production year E-class was quite far from reliable and made me run away from yet another first production year chryslerised "prototype"
3) After years and years of MB interiors the cool BMW interior was a relief, since i'm probably approaching mid-life i didn't want to be yet another driving couch potato. I finally realised i could do without chrome rings all over the place and silver-white dials.

Good for me that the IWC version of the CLS wasn't out then.....(talking about another league) http://forums.germancarfans.com/zerothread?id=14688

Different people chose different cars, just chose your own liking as well as i chose mine.
In the end you have to be just happy.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

An interesting post indeed.
But I feel l need to point out that your sins may extend beyond Iooking at a MB CLS!

Referring to a e60 Forum members as cubicle dwellers playing solitaire...
<_<

I trust this was just a rare lapse in your creative writing skills.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by lsimmo' date='Apr 12 2005, 01:48 PM

In contrast the interior totally turned me off. and as for the I drive I found it very frustrating to use.

The ride and performance were OK but did not make up for the uninspiring space I was seated in

I am now looking to change my car. I think I will end up keeping my current E39 530d until BMW sorts its self out as I am sure it will.
[snapback]114584[/snapback]
IMHO the E60 is a better car in every respect than the E39. The world has moved on, the E60 is here to stay, and I'm not sure what BMW needs to "sort out"
Old 04-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by lsimmo' date='Apr 12 2005, 12:48 PM

[snapback]114584[/snapback]
You sound like an automobile journalist
Old 04-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

jd604 - Perhaps if in your lust for the CLS your fearful of leaving performance behind then u might be a candidate for the CLS55 AMG. A bit of horse power (469 to be precise) and some torque to go with (516 lb-ft) and some suspension work all to appease ur driving lust. Sure a bit more $$ but if u gotta have it all then maybe that will do it for you.

I glanced over the CLS while waiting for my 6er to be serviced. I had already gone for the esthetic virtues in opting for the 6er but was able to keep it in the BMW family. Hence the emotional appeal of the CLS was somewhat lost on me, but I will confess if I had to have 4 doors it is attractive.

I'm sure you'll be happy in whatever choice you make, but try to spend as much time with each in testing before u make the plunge.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

After reading this thread, I got to give all of you alot of credit. This may be silly but from my past experiences with past cars on past forums, if a post like this was created, the responses would rarely be mature and congradualory (spelling?). Usually the members of the forum would bash the person posting for even considering it.

It's nice to see a group of people who are not stuck up because of the car they drive.

I sat in the CLS about a month ago but didn't drive one. The design is really intriquing. I am tall at 6'5" and I had a problem with clearing my head when getting in and out of the car. That kind of ruined it for me right there. Overall though I think the design of the car is really unique (in a good way). The interior was nice, probably better than the 5 series in some ways and vice versa.

You can not go wrong with either car. Mercedes may not be what it used to be but its still better than 97.823% of the cars out there.

If you get that car take pics and post them up here.

Jon

Quick Reply: Forgive me, Forum, for I have sinned...