E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Foot hard down!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Originally Posted by RW535d' date='Aug 24 2005, 07:51 PM
Fastest acceleration time (without damage to your transmission) is to put the gear selector to sport mode (DS) ensure 1st gear is selected (indicated by M1 on the panel between the speedo and rev counter), then floor the accelerator pedal.?

The DS mode will let you rev to max then (automatically) shift up smoothly to the next gear (auto boxes shift faster than the human hand can) and then keep the pedal to the metal!

For dramatic (but slower actual times) turn off the DTC.? Plenty of wheelspin but slower acceleration as too much power is lost to burning rubber.? Fun all the same!
[snapback]162980[/snapback]
I disagree with some of what you've said, based on my experiments at the 1/4 mile drag strip

I did not find there was any benefit to putting the car in D1 - DS is fine as 1st will be selected.

The trick to getting the best 0-60 time is yes to hold your foot on the brake whilst dialing in some revs to wind up the torque converter, but in the 535d at least it's important to not dial in too many revs, so as too avoid too much wheelspin (even in DTC activated mode) - the exact perfect rev point depends on how much grip there is on the day, so you need to experiement!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 03:28 PM
[quote name='RW535d' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:51 PM']Fastest acceleration time (without damage to your transmission) is to put the gear selector to sport mode (DS) ensure 1st gear is selected (indicated by M1 on the panel between the speedo and rev counter), then floor the accelerator pedal.?

The DS mode will let you rev to max then (automatically) shift up smoothly to the next gear (auto boxes shift faster than the human hand can) and then keep the pedal to the metal!

For dramatic (but slower actual times) turn off the DTC.? Plenty of wheelspin but slower acceleration as too much power is lost to burning rubber.? Fun all the same!
Agree with both situations!
"auto boxes shift faster than the human hand can"
i don't agree with this! in fact the difference i feel in my steptonic in DS mode is slightly faster but just slightly than in normal D mode! I can sure beat that time even in DS mode if i have a good manual! Now SMG is a different story! That gearbox can really shift quickly! IMO there is no compare between SMG and DS mode in steptronic! The steptronic feels lazy compared to smg!
[snapback]163031[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think he means the actual shift is faster, which it is, as most automatics shift in tenths or hundredths of a second - no human can move a clutch in and change the shifter in gear in less time than that. The problem with automatics is that they rob power because of the torque converter, which really isn't a problem in the 545i because it's torquey anyway - 535d too.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d 2005

Has anyone here actually burned rubber with 535D?
I have 535D and tried with DTC off and gear in DS and got only slight wheelspin, not even close to 'burn' rubber.

Or is there something wrong with my 535D?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 25 2005, 12:32 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 03:28 PM'][quote name='RW535d' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:51 PM']Fastest acceleration time (without damage to your transmission) is to put the gear selector to sport mode (DS) ensure 1st gear is selected (indicated by M1 on the panel between the speedo and rev counter), then floor the accelerator pedal.?

i don't agree with this! in fact the difference i feel in my steptonic in DS mode is slightly faster but just slightly than in normal D mode! I can sure beat that time even in DS mode if i have a good manual! Now SMG is a different story! That gearbox can really shift quickly! IMO there is no compare between SMG and DS mode in steptronic! The steptronic feels lazy compared to smg!
[/quote]

I think he means the actual shift is faster, which it is, as most automatics shift in tenths or hundredths of a second - no human can move a clutch in and change the shifter in gear in less time than that. The problem with automatics is that they rob power because of the torque converter, which really isn't a problem in the 545i because it's torquey anyway - 535d too.
[snapback]163257[/snapback]
[/quote]

And... the auto trans locks up the torque converter in all six gears which eliminates much of the loss.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by J-535D' date='Aug 25 2005, 01:43 PM
Has anyone here actually burned rubber with 535D?
I have 535D and tried with DTC off and gear in DS and got only slight wheelspin, not even close to 'burn' rubber.

Or is there something wrong with my 535D?
[snapback]163260[/snapback]
Me too! Not too much wheel spin!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 25 2005, 01:32 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 03:28 PM'][quote name='RW535d' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:51 PM']Fastest acceleration time (without damage to your transmission) is to put the gear selector to sport mode (DS) ensure 1st gear is selected (indicated by M1 on the panel between the speedo and rev counter), then floor the accelerator pedal.?

[/quote]

[snapback]163257[/snapback]
[/quote]
I still don't think the STEPTRONIC is faster than any human! Come on if you watch those jap guys at bestmotoring u'll se what i'm talking about! Heck almost everyone can do it with alot of practice. Only the SMG is faster imo! I'm courious about the time needed for the steptronic to change the gear! Anybody has info on this?