E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foot hard down!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering because this is my 1st automatic gearbox how is it best to accelerate the car?
What happens if u revv the car hardly and than shift into D? Is is ok?
How do you walk away in the best way? Shift into D and than accelerate with DTC? or what?
I saw in the top gear test alot of tire smoke...how was it acomplished?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 06:42 AM
I

[snapback]162797[/snapback]

what happens? you will eventually destroy your transmission
Old 08-24-2005, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 12:42 PM
I was wondering because this is my 1st automatic gearbox how is it best to accelerate the car?
How do you walk away in the best way? Shift into D and than accelerate with DTC? or what??
A lot of car magazines doing road tests never say how many items broke during their testing. Engines, transmissions, diff's etc all go. It's quite common. With auto's, they hold it on the brake, rev it to an optimum point (tried many times to establish that point) and let the brakes off. Harsh but the only way to get max acceleration and good for vcausing mechanical failure.

:'(
Old 08-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Aug 24 2005, 08:10 AM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 12:42 PM']I was wondering because this is my 1st automatic gearbox how is it best to accelerate the car?
How do you walk away in the best way? Shift into D and than accelerate with DTC? or what??
A lot of car magazines doing road tests never say how many items broke during their testing. Engines, transmissions, diff's etc all go. It's quite common. With auto's, they hold it on the brake, rev it to an optimum point (tried many times to establish that point) and let the brakes off. Harsh but the only way to get max acceleration and good for vcausing mechanical failure.

:'(
[snapback]162821[/snapback]
[/quote]
Aouch! that hurts!
so no way m i gona try this!
anyway i hope it's ok to hold the brakes (in D) and than take my foot off and place it on accelerator (foot hard down). I think it's the best way to do it! Right?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 04:42 AM
what does acceleration from a stop do anyway? Why stress about getting the best 0-60 times, when real world acceleration is from rolling starts or freeway passing? Why risk damage to your engine so you can knock a tenth of a second off your acceleration from a standstill to 60, then hit the brakes because you hit the speed limit and have to sit there? I don't understand the need when you have an automatic - it's NOT designed for this, so why push it?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Haha for real. And if the dealer "suspects" that there was abuse, you can probably forget about the warranty picking up the tab too.

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 24 2005, 12:09 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 04:42 AM']I was wondering because this is my 1st automatic gearbox how is it best to accelerate the car?
what does acceleration from a stop do anyway? Why stress about getting the best 0-60 times, when real world acceleration is from rolling starts or freeway passing? Why risk damage to your engine so you can knock a tenth of a second off your acceleration from a standstill to 60, then hit the brakes because you hit the speed limit and have to sit there? I don't understand the need when you have an automatic - it's NOT designed for this, so why push it?
[snapback]162892[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 08-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 12:42 PM
Turn your traction control off !!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Members

Fastest acceleration time (without damage to your transmission) is to put the gear selector to sport mode (DS) ensure 1st gear is selected (indicated by M1 on the panel between the speedo and rev counter), then floor the accelerator pedal.

The DS mode will let you rev to max then (automatically) shift up smoothly to the next gear (auto boxes shift faster than the human hand can) and then keep the pedal to the metal!

For dramatic (but slower actual times) turn off the DTC. Plenty of wheelspin but slower acceleration as too much power is lost to burning rubber. Fun all the same!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 24 2005, 11:09 AM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Aug 24 2005, 04:42 AM']I was wondering because this is my 1st automatic gearbox how is it best to accelerate the car?
[snapback]162892[/snapback]
[/quote]
I was just curious! It doesn't mean i'm gonna push it! If i ask for information it doesn't mean i would do it in the real world whatever that is....just to know more about atumatic transmission because as i said i'm novice in automatic tannys!

I know, u are right! alot of components are stressed when doing this but well i need to know!

btwe about rolling starts and things like those, i realised the acceleration has 2 stages of kick down! 1st is a little subtile and it does it if push the accelerator a bit more (almost half) and a second one when foot hard down and i can even feel in my leg smth is pushed when i floor it and then another gear down...if i do it fast it drops 2 gears...
Old 08-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RW535d' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:51 PM
Fastest acceleration time (without damage to your transmission) is to put the gear selector to sport mode (DS) ensure 1st gear is selected (indicated by M1 on the panel between the speedo and rev counter), then floor the accelerator pedal.?

The DS mode will let you rev to max then (automatically) shift up smoothly to the next gear (auto boxes shift faster than the human hand can) and then keep the pedal to the metal!

For dramatic (but slower actual times) turn off the DTC.? Plenty of wheelspin but slower acceleration as too much power is lost to burning rubber.? Fun all the same!
[snapback]162980[/snapback]
Agree with both situations!
"auto boxes shift faster than the human hand can"
i don't agree with this! in fact the difference i feel in my steptonic in DS mode is slightly faster but just slightly than in normal D mode! I can sure beat that time even in DS mode if i have a good manual! Now SMG is a different story! That gearbox can really shift quickly! IMO there is no compare between SMG and DS mode in steptronic! The steptronic feels lazy compared to smg!

Quick Reply: Foot hard down!