E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Folding Seats Option

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

In my previous 545 I neglected to order the folding seats. I didn't think it was a good idea to have the possability to load something in the trunk which would require me to use it. That is what I have a truck and Suburban for.

However, I must eat my words, but not for what you think. Mynew 545 I came with the folding seats. This option moved the clasp about 1/2" to 1" futher away from the vertical portion of the seat. This 1/2" allows my 4 year old to buckle her self in with out support. This is a great revolation for us. The folding seat also puts the two clasps for the new child seat regulations with an easier access plastic cover.

Conclusion: If you have kids in carseats, get the folding seat option, but not for the purpose of folding the seat.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Mar 6 2005, 08:03 PM
In my previous 545 I neglected to order the folding seats.? I didn't think it was a good idea to have the possability to load something in the trunk which would require me to use it.? That is what I have a truck and Suburban for.?

However, I must eat my words, but not for what you think.? Mynew 545 I came with the folding seats.? This option moved the clasp about 1/2" to 1" futher away from the vertical portion of the seat.? This 1/2" allows my 4 year old to buckle her self in with out support.? This is a great revolation for us.? The folding seat also puts the two clasps for the new child seat regulations with an easier access plastic cover.

Conclusion: If you have kids in carseats, get the folding seat option, but not for the purpose of folding the seat.
[snapback]98013[/snapback]
nice ride, im getting mine this week
Old 03-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Members

My rather selfish motive for getting this option is for my 9" staff bag . Unless some of you who use your E60 as golfing vessels can confirm that I do not need it.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Members

In my E39, I can carry a 10' piece of lumber/molding/etc due to the folding rear seats.

Funny thing, it can actually be easier carrying long items in my E39 vs my 1990 Toyota Pick-Up truck!

I once carried 3 2x6 10' and severa 2x4s at 8' in my E39!

545i ED on March 23rd!!!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I fit three kids in the back seat. Two on backless boosters who strap in first. My eldest then straps in in the middle without a booster. The extra inch would hlep if I only had two kids.

I have a large golf bag which fits just perfectly. You should try fitting it before ordering an option you might not need. I figured I would try everything before hauling large objects that might damage the paint on my E60.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i ordered - built 1/05 - arrived 3/16/05 . Silver Gray - Biege Interior. Sports Package, Steptronics, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Rear Fold Down Seats, Sat Radio. Mods: Seatback Hangar, Trunk Net, Umbrella.
Cool

In my previous 545 I neglected to order the folding seats.? I didn't think it was a good idea to have the possability to load something in the trunk which would require me to use it.? That is what I have a truck and Suburban for.?

However, I must eat my words, but not for what you think.? Mynew 545 I came with the folding seats.? This option moved the clasp about 1/2" to 1" futher away from the vertical portion of the seat.? This 1/2" allows my 4 year old to buckle her self in with out support.? This is a great revolation for us.? The folding seat also puts the two clasps for the new child seat regulations with an easier access plastic cover.

I have had folding rear seat since my days with Audis and Mustangs - this is my fourth BMW with folding seats - makes for a semi-station wagon capability. Skis especially are nice to have inside and hauling awkward objects. Anything bigger I have delivered by truck. I have even used it for camping with an E39 aqnd to soon with the 545i.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I never thought to spec it to be honest! The option IMO should be a no cost option.
Your new and old cars look nice. In the photos are you trading with a BMW dealership or is it an independant trader of all makes? Just curious thats all
Old 04-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Folding rear seats are the bomb. A must if you special order ( only 430 bucks)

Most cars on the dealer's lots don't have this option and retrofitting would cost an arm and a leg!

But some say the seats have less padding though.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Jet Black, Auburn Dakota, Sport Package, Logic 7, Red rear reflectors, K&N intake filter

You must have the same household setup as us. I drive the 545 and wife drives the Yukon XL which has the car seats.

I don't have folding seats (didn't want to wait for one that did) and took one of my daughters out the other Sunday and did notice that the LATCH car seat hooks are buried more than usual. Will look more closely on the next car I buy.

FYI, I noticed you got yours also at Irvine BMW from the pic of old car
Not too thrilled about their svc dept's cheap ass Enterprise loaner cars though
Old 04-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

On my E36 coupe, the folding rear seat was ESSENTIAL for bringing my 4 mounted wheels/tires to the shop for bi-annual winter/summer tire swaps. No way could I have fit them into the car without that option!!

Can any of you who swap mounted tires like that on an E60 comment on the ease of fitting them into the car with or without the fold-down rear seats? Maybe 2 or 3 in the trunk and 1 or 2 on the rear seat if the seat doesn't fold down?

But since I'm going to be ordering the car, it's definitely a no-brainer at $430.