E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fold down rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Well, when trying to find my car out of availiable stock, or production, ( I didn't get with my dealer fast enough to order my car) I was unable to find a car with this option period! :'( I very much wanted the split seats, but had to settle for the roof rack for my skis.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Sep 8 2004, 07:45 PM
[quote name='Flowerfred' date='Aug 29 2004, 07:06 PM'] [quote name='PhilS' date='Aug 29 2004, 01:33 PM'] The split/fold rear seats also come with a 12V power supply in the boot/trunk - this is the main reason I regret not getting this option.
What on earth would you use that socket for? I've been wondering about that.. [/quote]
Good question, FF. I have yet to use mine. I have a 12V spot light I always carry in the trunk for emergecies. Maybe if I had a tire inflator, but I have a stand alone compressor in the shop. Or, maybe if you had a 12V vacuum, but again, I have a 110V small hand vac. So, bottom line is, I do not have a bonafide use for that power plug. There are four more up front. Now I find occasional uses for them. [/quote]
I have a DC to AC power inverter. I plug it in the 12V power socket and it has an output of: 230 Vac, 50 Hz, 75W.

It's from APC.com ...
Old 09-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Members

QUOTE (JDN @ Sep 8 2004, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (Flowerfred @ Aug 29 2004, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (PhilS @ Aug 29 2004, 01:33 PM)
The split/fold rear seats also come with a 12V power supply in the boot/trunk - this is the main reason I regret not getting this option.

What on earth would you use that socket for? I've been wondering about that..

Good question, FF. I have yet to use mine. I have a 12V spot light I always carry in the trunk for emergecies. Maybe if I had a tire inflator, but I have a stand alone compressor in the shop. Or, maybe if you had a 12V vacuum, but again, I have a 110V small hand vac. So, bottom line is, I do not have a bonafide use for that power plug. There are four more up front. smile.gif Now I find occasional uses for them.

I have a DC to AC power inverter. I plug it in the 12V power socket and it has an output of: 230 Vac, 50 Hz, 75W.
I would use it for a portable fridge - useful for family days out - picnics, etc.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilS' date='Sep 8 2004, 11:33 PM
I would use it for a portable fridge - useful for family days out - picnics, etc.
But you know that it doesn't work anmore when you turn your engine off, right ?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Members

No, I didn't know that. Thanks. That said, I don't have the fold down rear seats But I would like to fit a socket in the boot for this purpose, I wonder if I can order the part? - I really must look into that soon.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

That should be possible. Espacially since the battery is in the trunk's right.
If you have them retrofit the socket, make them putting it on the "R" position, which is key position 1, where the radio works, but the car's engine is off. Having it this way you can use it for one hour before the car turns off all systems.
The only thing they probably can't do, is putting it on permanent power, since it will cause power management problems. The car will notice there is something using power what shouldn't, and shuts everything off, that is not needed and gives you a warning message the next time you start the engine.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Members

Thanks Ice, I didn't know the battery was in the boot/trunk. One hour would be fine for my uses. My car's in later in the month for some minor fixes, I'll ask them to do it then.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

I am glad you all brought this topic up. I am spec-ing my order right now. The salesman who I have know for a while and who has been more right than wrong in the past has been discouraging from ordering the fold down seats. He contends there is more noise due to less sound deadening material and creaking from the seats flexing being they are not fixed.

Has anyone experienced anything like that?
Old 09-13-2004, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Sep 13 2004, 06:31 AM
I am glad you all brought this topic up. I am spec-ing my order right now. The salesman who I have know for a while and who has been more right than wrong in the past has been discouraging from ordering the fold down seats. He contends there is more noise due to less sound deadening material and creaking from the seats flexing being they are not fixed.

Has anyone experienced anything like that?
I have the fold down seats and nothing could be further from the truth. I have over 3,000 miles on it and have passengers in the back lots and have never heard anything whatsoever from the seats or sounds coming from the back. The seats are tightly locked into the structure and there is no sound of any kind at any time from them.

If you want the flexibility to cart stuff around, get them. They make the car convertible into something usable for more the regular set-up and even the rear arm rest is way better as a result. Take a look at the photos of the armrest in other threads as well.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:56 AM
JDN
Contributors

I wouldn't want a 5-series wo fold down seats. Besides all of the advantages gdavis listed, there are also the neater arm rest and cup holders. I am over eight years with fold down seats and good experience with them.

Quick Reply: Fold down rear seats