E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fold down rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilS' date='Aug 29 2004, 01:33 PM
The split/fold rear seats also come with a 12V power supply in the boot/trunk - this is the main reason I regret not getting this option.
What on earth would you use that socket for? I've been wondering about that..
Old 08-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Some people have been known to run electrical devices from the the boot/trunk outlet por picnics, camping for things like air pumps for inflatable items or other things. Not too common, but could come in handy.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Aug 30 2004, 02:16 AM
Some people have been known to run electrical devices from the the boot/trunk outlet por picnics, camping for things like air pumps for inflatable items or other things. Not too common, but could come in handy.
I thought it gets turned off when you shut the engine off, like the cigarette lighter...
Old 08-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Oh yeah, I think it does go off without the key!!!!!!!! But I guess the key could be turned to that position before the car is cranked on. It'd be great to be able to change the status of power to those outlets via iDrive controls! ie- always on or only on with power, or on for 30 minutes after powering off car, etc.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

I wouldn't get the car without the fold-down seats. I use them anytime I want to transport anything long, and I use them to swap out my winter/summer wheels and tires.

I haven't heard anything about a difference in padding or comfort, and the armrest is a bit nicer.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Aug 30 2004, 02:24 AM
Oh yeah, I think it does go off without the key!!!!!!!! But I guess the key could be turned to that position before the car is cranked on.
I'm sorry, but I have to say it: The BMW techs who are responsible for this are DUMB !
The way it is right now, you have to put the key in ignition, electrical system on full power!!! Really a nice battery drain...
Power outlets should stay on for 30 minute when you turn the engine off... I don't know what the techs were thinking here... :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 08-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

to me a luxury i chose over several overs (wish i had them too, but this was more important)

just a matter of when you might have that need - i know that we will need it sometime, several times, so not having it was not an option - - and we've used it twice now already. ..

the ONLY issue is that with the seats and the sunroof open at the same time there is a pock-pock-vacuumy sound effect that reverbs around - so keep the roof closed with the seats open and all is fine

because the above issue IS an issue
Old 08-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

you're right ice, my kids were watching the portable dvd player we got in the back seat in france, and we stopped to get some fuel. of course it was plugged into the outlets in the rear seat area (back of front console) and it killed the movie watching upon turning off ignition. this is a common kind of use; dvd's, computer adapters, cell phone power, etc. and oughta keep going or be switchable. even our dodge mini-van has 2 outlets in the front; one is ALWAYS on, the other is keyed through the iginition.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Aug 30 2004, 02:37 AM
you're right ice, my kids were watching the portable dvd player we got in the back seat in france, and we stopped to get some fuel. of course it was plugged into the outlets in the rear seat area (back of front console) and it killed the movie watching upon turning off ignition. this is a common kind of use; dvd's, computer adapters, cell phone power, etc. and oughta keep going or be switchable. even our dodge mini-van has 2 outlets in the front; one is ALWAYS on, the other is keyed through the iginition.
The way BMW has set them up makes no sense to me. It is like not having them...
I will have the dealer put mine on the first key position, so that they stay on when you turn off the engine and turn off when you pull the key out. He allready told me he can do that...
Still don't understand why BMW hasn't set them up this way...
Old 08-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

Ice,

can you fill us in on what your dealer will be doing to get them to stay on all the time? will it be rewired under the dash, or what?

Quick Reply: Fold down rear seats