E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fog Lights and Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Of course there is a feature for one swipe only.
But only one. After that, nothing else happens.

If it starts raining you push the button and ther system does the rest for you.
Having a on/off switch the way you want it the sensor would start the wipers in situations you don't want it to, because you have forgotten that it's on...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Members

Don't you guys remember in the 80's the cliche that all BMW drivers drive with their front fog lights on? You need to keep the tradition alive!

I'm not ashamed or ridiculed that I was able to do it automatically with the lights on with every BMW I've owned except this one. Oh well...
Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by kargeek' post='790101' date='Feb 11 2009, 06:32 AM
Don't you guys remember in the 80's the cliche that all BMW drivers drive with their front fog lights on? You need to keep the tradition alive!

I'm not ashamed or ridiculed that I was able to do it automatically with the lights on with every BMW I've owned except this one. Oh well...
Actually I think foglights these days are hopeless. It hardly lights up beyond 4 feet or so off the front. The old argument it glares into the eyes of on coming cars dont apply. What did glare was those add-on huge hella ones people used to add to the cars like 40 years ago.

So IMHO, foglights on modern cars should be part of the DAY RUNNING LIGHTS. Just have the rings ON, the eyebrows, and the foggies!.. haha.

As for the rain sensor, lets put it this way, its logical if its rains to then turn it on. Either on auto or manual. As for the single swipe then I turn auto on, I disagree with that logic. Here is the scenario. I am driving on a clear dry day on the motorway. Didn't know the otherside had a burst pipe and water logged. As I overtake a lorry on the fast lane, I get blasted by water from a vehicle on the otherside. I am blinded by water. In that moment I am shocked, slow reflexes, put car to side, hit wheels of trailer and I am DEAD!!. All because some BMW guy decided to have a single swipe when the auto funchtion was turned on.

If this was not there, then I would have already turned it on before I set out to drive and I would be alive for the given scenario. The wipers came on automatically as I just concentrated on passing the huge truck.

All BMW had to do was put a small symbol on the dash to show auto rain sensor is activated. I think it was the case on my E39 535i that I once owned. (Someone please check if this is the case thanks.)

By having the single swipe, BMW effectively excludes drivers like me who like to turn it on before setting out. I also have the lights on auto. Why have auto features if one isn't going to use it? Maybe I am just a paranoid chap. If BMW had not done the single swipe, then every one of their drivers would be able to use the feature as and when they want.

Am I missing a point here? Cheers
Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

I had the fogs on the last 2 mornings due to particularly thick and heavy fog in and around the Motor City. That being said, don't know how much the fogs helped as the adaptive Xenons seem to do a much better job.

As for driving around with your fogs on for looks or for schitts and giggles, I agree - unnecessary.

Re: the auto rain sensor, preferred the system on my 2003 Volvo S-60 that the system in place on the E-60. Nevertheless, the current system suits its purpose. I appreciate the fact that the engineers require that you turn it on as opposed to it being active. IMO, don't know why some here think it is a large imposition to flick your index finger from the steering wheel on to the wiper stalk to activate the auto wipers, when you need them.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by one4thethumb' post='790276' date='Feb 11 2009, 03:06 PM
Re: the auto rain sensor, preferred the system on my 2003 Volvo S-60 that the system in place on the E-60. Nevertheless, the current system suits its purpose. I appreciate the fact that the engineers require that you turn it on as opposed to it being active. IMO, don't know why some here think it is a large imposition to flick your index finger from the steering wheel on to the wiper stalk to activate the auto wipers, when you need them.
and how did it work on the 2003 S60? I am curious.

Not sure if you are refering to me but perhaps I was not clear in my post. I have no objections to the switch to turn the auto rain sensor on. In fact I totally agree one need to be provided. What I dislike is the fact, it very much does a dry swipe for me as I prefer to have it turned on before I drive off, rather than be caught out by a sudden splash of water and then use the finger to flick the switch.

As it is on my E60 steering column, I have the following,.. indicator stalk, electric adjustment lever, autocruise stalk, wiper stalk, two gear changes switches. I rather concentrate on my driving than having to messing with the wiper. Thats the point of auto IMO.

if BMW didn't program it to do a swipe when there is no water, everyone would be happy. You would be happy to turn it on when the glass is wet and by being wet it swipes. I would be happy to turn it on before setting off and since the glass is dry, nothing happend other than a small symbol or light in the dash. (similar to the E39 of the past).

Here is a question for our members. Do you switch our auto lights on when it gets dark or have it ON all the time irespective of brightness. I bet there will be some who leave it ON all the time, some who never use it and some who turn it on ONLY at dusk.

cheers
Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='790731' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:59 AM
Here is a question for our members. Do you switch our auto lights on when it gets dark or have it ON all the time irespective of brightness. I bet there will be some who leave it ON all the time, some who never use it and some who turn it on ONLY at dusk.

cheers
That's a total different story and you're comparing aples and oranges.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Where in hell have I been?

I have been around for five or four years now and this is the first I have ever heard of rear fog lamps!

sixcard
Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Ok, I understand that we don't have them in the US, BUT -- WTF is the point of a REAR fog lamp? Do you people in Europe drive around in reverse in the fog? I mean really, come on!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='790860' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:13 PM
Ok, I understand that we don't have them in the US, BUT -- WTF is the point of a REAR fog lamp? Do you people in Europe drive around in reverse in the fog? I mean really, come on!!!
It's about being seen, not being able to see....
Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

Originally Posted by igord' post='524333' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:25 PM
As far as cool/uncool factor, well I think that is personal preference as well.

now i have been reading every single post on every single thread about this issue... can not believe my eyes!

i agree with the statement above for front fogs....

as for rear fogs, not unless there is fog.

what's the big deal??

Quick Reply: Fog Lights and Rain Sensor