E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fluid Changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
As my beloved E60 crosses into the 72K mark this month, I am curious as to what fluids need changing asides from the usual ones that the BMW SAs provide.

I did a brake flush at 35K that I am going to get done as well - but what about transmission oil, differential fluid, coolant, etc? Do any of you have any words of wisdom? I am planning on keeping this puppy well over 100K so a penny spent now is not an issue.....

Thanks in advance..

S

PS: My SA advises on getting them all done. Talk about conflict of interest.....
Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Members

this is a question i would like to have answered as well. I do all my oil changes and brake fluid, but i wonder about the differential. Most cars i owned have had this recommended at around every 30k miles. I know BMW says "lifetime" tranny fluid, and i have heard that really means 100k miles. Anyone have any insight in the diff fluid or tranny fluid. I am at 50k miles and from past experience I believe it is high time to change both. Any opinions??
Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by Spaceroach' post='727679' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:29 PM
this is a question i would like to have answered as well. I do all my oil changes and brake fluid, but i wonder about the differential. Most cars i owned have had this recommended at around every 30k miles. I know BMW says "lifetime" tranny fluid, and i have heard that really means 100k miles. Anyone have any insight in the diff fluid or tranny fluid. I am at 50k miles and from past experience I believe it is high time to change both. Any opinions??
I am going to go ahead and get mine done....but I would like to know what others are doing.... My SA advises I get it changed out - therein the paradox! I do not understand why my SA would recc this ~ and BMW doesnt!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear subarashi,

Your car has the iDrive, read it!

Follow it, but also find out if some parts needs to be changed.
Air filters and brake pads could be...

Change/service all parts at the same time, so that you don't need to go to the dealers all the time.
They love your money.

PS. I just learned that the CIP 31.2 could be wise to get, if you have a LCI automatic.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Have you heard of BIMMER magazine before?
In that magazine, there's a section where Q&A with a tech(I don't remember his name).
If you email him, he will send you an old school maintenance guide. It will tell you everything what you need
to change, etc.

Out of my head, he recommended ATF every 30k miles, fuel filters at 60k, differential every 30k, coolant every 2 years.
I do not remember if he commended spark plugs at 60k or 70k. But I think it was 60k.

Contact this guy.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='726714' date='Nov 20 2008, 04:20 PM
As my beloved E60 crosses into the 72K mark this month, I am curious as to what fluids need changing asides from the usual ones that the BMW SAs provide.

I did a brake flush at 35K that I am going to get done as well - but what about transmission oil, differential fluid, coolant, etc? Do any of you have any words of wisdom? I am planning on keeping this puppy well over 100K so a penny spent now is not an issue.....

Thanks in advance..

S

PS: My SA advises on getting them all done. Talk about conflict of interest.....
Follow the "Ultimate BMW maintenance schedule" listed in this link and you will enjoy years of mostly trouble-free driving. Look around the site for other great tips:

http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='727925' date='Nov 21 2008, 03:38 PM
Have you heard of BIMMER magazine before?
In that magazine, there's a section where Q&A with a tech(I don't remember his name).
If you email him, he will send you an old school maintenance guide. It will tell you everything what you need
to change, etc.

Out of my head, he recommended ATF every 30k miles, fuel filters at 60k, differential every 30k, coolant every 2 years.
I do not remember if he commended spark plugs at 60k or 70k. But I think it was 60k.

Contact this guy.
His name is Mike Miller. He is the technical editor for both Bimmer and Roundel magazines. He sent me the list but I am not at home today so I don't have access to it at this time. I think uheenada has the right numbers.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Thanks all. If you search for earlier posts of mine, I do not trust the iDrive insofar as fluids are concerned. It follows programming logic so it tells me that the diff fluid and transmission fluid dont need to be changed before 100k miles. I am not comfortable with waiting that long..I already feel as if I've waited long enough.

Insofar as the Ultimate Maint article goes - thanks very much guys! Now I have a reference to quote. I do note that these were based on earlier [04] models though. Do the fluid changes still apply to MY 05+?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='728580' date='Nov 22 2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks all. If you search for earlier posts of mine, I do not trust the iDrive insofar as fluids are concerned. It follows programming logic so it tells me that the diff fluid and transmission fluid dont need to be changed before 100k miles. I am not comfortable with waiting that long..I already feel as if I've waited long enough.

Insofar as the Ultimate Maint article goes - thanks very much guys! Now I have a reference to quote. I do note that these were based on earlier [04] models though. Do the fluid changes still apply to MY 05+?
Sorry about the misunderstanding. The Ultimate guide refers to "5 Series 04 on" meaning from the 04 model and onward. Since this newsletter was printed Winter 2008, I would say that the recommended schedule is for 5 series 2004 to 2008 models. You can also contact them here with any question: info@bavauto.com or go to their web site and look at their tech tips: http://www.bavauto.com
Old 11-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

is Bmw doing all the maintenance 2 under the free maintenance program? or just regular oil changes?

Quick Reply: Fluid Changes