E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fluctuating RPM at 30-50 km/h

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

is there a way I can check the fluid level without having to take it in anywhere and have to pay someone to do it?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:31 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Sure you can do it yourself

Jack the car up
remove the plastic underbody cover
Get the car level
Loosen the filler bolt on the drivers side of the transmission
Start the car
Finish removing the filler bolt
If the transmission is full the fluid will come out the filler hole a little
If not full you should add more fluid
Make sure the car is running as this will ensure the fluid is being pumped throughout the transmission or it will pour out the filler hole giving a false report
Old 08-03-2018, 04:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

ok thanks if I was to take the car into a shop an have them do it what do you think a rough estimate would be of the price? im just trying to get an idea because I want to definantly make sure this issue is 1] not the transmission( which it rreally don't seem like it to me, when I put the car into DS it doesn't do it at all really, I haven't tried in M yet I will today tho) & 2) gets fixed before it causes any serious damage. Could a bad/ going bad coil or maybe the wrong plug cause this? Im asking because shortly before I bought it the old owner said it was misfiring in the 2nd and I believe 4th cynlinders so he took it in for the 100k tune up, according to the paperwork they replaced plugs, the car stopped misfiring then told him that the studder feeling was the transmission slipping and that he would need to get it serviced, however he said that the guy in the shop did not drive the car only went off his description of the issue. It definantly happens more often when the ac is on, even more so when the auto circulation is turned on, and when the fuel gets lower than a quarter tank, it still wont do it 100% of the time nor on command but it does happen more often, all I have to do to stop it is let off the gas and then back on an the issue is gone or give the car more gas when the issue starts and its like the car pushes its way thru it gets to the shift point an is fine until the next time I stop an it does it when I take off again.

****New symptom****
So this hasn't happened more than 1 or 2 times and it has been when the gas has been low enough that the gas light was on, also I believe that both times the ac was on a semi high setting as well, but when I would go to take off from a stop it was almost as if the car stalled for a quick sec n would lose almost all power, it would not actually shut off tho an as soon as I either gave the car more gas or let off and reapplied the throttle the engine would work its way past the hesitation.. I honestly don't even know where to begin when it comes to this issue because the symptoms are so different from anything ive had to deal with before so any thoughts again would be greatly appreciated.