E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Flat Tire Warning on iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Thumbs down

I'm driving to work today and "DING", RED LIGHTS on the iDrive. "Flat Tire!" Then it says to drive cautiously, etc. I stop the car, pull over, and I do not see even a low tire. So I drive to work and I think, "iDrive hiccup". I let it sit all day.

I get out to the car, still no sign of a flat, and I'm thinking iDrive has reset itself by now. Nope, I start it up and it's still doing it. I even did the CTRL+ALT+DEL and it still says one is flat.

Anyone seen this scenario? I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by 555' date='May 31 2005, 07:54 PM
I'm driving to work today and "DING", RED LIGHTS on the iDrive.? "Flat Tire!"? Then it says to drive cautiously, etc.? I stop the car, pull over, and I do not see even a low tire.? So I drive to work and I think, "iDrive hiccup".? I let it sit all day.

I get out to the car, still no sign of a flat, and I'm thinking iDrive has reset itself by now.? Nope, I start it up and it's still doing it.? I even did the CTRL+ALT+DEL and it still says one is flat.

Anyone seen this scenario?? I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning.
[snapback]134970[/snapback]
It may well be that the Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) was NOT initialized or that the tire pressures were changed without re-initializing FTM. Would suggest checking all four tires with a pressure gauge and then re-initializing FTM via iDrive. If the warning indication continues, then take it in to the dealer.

Martin
Old 05-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I thought about reinitializing the FTM, but I can't. This is one of those "hard" error messages that cannot be cleared. Even when pressing the "check" button on the blinker switch or CTRL+ALT+DEL. Even pressing the Menu button will not take me back to the Menu.

Looks like I have no choice.

Originally Posted by turnbowm' date='May 31 2005, 09:05 PM
[quote name='555' date='May 31 2005, 07:54 PM']I'm driving to work today and "DING", RED LIGHTS on the iDrive.? "Flat Tire!"? Then it says to drive cautiously, etc.? I stop the car, pull over, and I do not see even a low tire.? So I drive to work and I think, "iDrive hiccup".? I let it sit all day.

I get out to the car, still no sign of a flat, and I'm thinking iDrive has reset itself by now.?? Nope, I start it up and it's still doing it.? I even did the CTRL+ALT+DEL and it still says one is flat.

Anyone seen this scenario?? I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning.
[snapback]134970[/snapback]
It may well be that the Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) was NOT initialized or that the tire pressures were changed without re-initializing FTM. Would suggest checking all four tires with a pressure gauge and then re-initializing FTM via iDrive. If the warning indication continues, then take it in to the dealer.

Martin
[snapback]134973[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 05-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

With my 20's I get this quite often...IF the tire are not punctured then the system jsut had a fault... to reset it you go to vehicle settings then go to the FTM then go to set tire presure the car has to be stoped for you to do this
Old 05-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Members

If you are driving on a rutted road, this can cause a false flat alarm. There is a section of freeway I drive frequently and I can even predict that I will get the flat tire alarm if I am in the rutted lane.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE, Leather, Nav 606, BT phone, advanced Aircon

With the run flat tyres it does not show which tyre has a puncture. When my idrive came up with a similar warning I took it to an air pump to read the pressures and one of them definitely showed a pressure in single figures. The most painful part of the entire experience was the cost of a new tyre (?280/-) as it, apparently, cannot be repaired.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Mine showed the warning last week, and sure enough my left rear tire was down 5 or 6 pounds, to 31 or so from 36. So I filled them all to 36, re-initialized, and I've been fine since.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Titanium Grey, Premium, Sport, Xenon, Active Steering and suspension, heated seats, etc., Sirius, etc.

I think the rears are supposed to be 44 or 46. The same thing happened to me on the way home from buying my car. Obviously, I had no clue what to do, but after getting home and reading the manual and checking the pressures, I found only 26 in the rears (amazingly it had just been delivered to me). You then go in and press down the i-drive knob once at the start up screen and go to vehicle settings. Once there, go to the "FTM" item and reinitialize it. You do this sitting still but the FTM does not finish the process until you drive a mile or two.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 525iA, silvergray, steptronic, Active steering, PDC, sport seats, beige dakotaleather, poppel trim, M-sport steering wheel, star spoke 123, xenon lights, large clima, cruise control.

I have the same problem, but I finally discovered that I had a tyre puncture. Warning: Run on flat tyres don?t get flat when they are punctured so it can be difficult too see.