E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Flat Tire Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 03:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, Black Metalic, Sport Package, L7 sound, Steptronic, Cold Weather, Ski Package, Sport Seats

Just a vent to blow off a little steam. I recently traveled back to my home town in Southeast Mo. 3000 miles on my new 545i with the sport package. (i.e. Dunlop run flats) and wouldn't you know, "Ding" Flat tire monitor, "Tire puncture." This happened on a Saturday and FYI there are no replacement tires in a 220 mile radius of South East Mo. I had the great pleasure of a return trip to Atlanta on the donut spare ~550 miles. I will say that my dealer was awsome in the process, I gave them a call and they tried to help find a tire, realized one wasn't available and had a loaner ready when I hit Atl, they fixed the tire the next day, replaced the window motor due to an intermittent trap notice I had mentioned and had me ready to go the next morning. After all the problems we read about, I just wanted to let people know that I love this car and my dealer / service dept. seem to be on the ball. Maybe I just got lucky.

EpochII
Old 02-25-2005, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, Epochii !
Old 02-25-2005, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Welcome Epochii, glad to here your experience was better than many on this board. There are actually good dealers out there, but the vast majority of stories we hear on this board are complaints, the good stories just don't get posted as people expect a certain level service and when it is met, people are not surprised. When that expectation is not met, we here about it...
Old 02-25-2005, 05:54 AM
JDN
Contributors

Anyone running the SP run flats should be aware that there are very few stocked by anybody in the USA. When I needed four in Pensacola, the dealer had to order overnight from Cleveland. That makes Bokke's recent offer of a complete set of RF mounted on 124 style wheels even more appealing.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:02 AM
Contributors

welcome Epochii
Old 02-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Black Metalic, Sport Package, L7 sound, Steptronic, Cold Weather, Ski Package, Sport Seats

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Feb 25 2005, 10:54 AM
Anyone running the SP run flats should be aware that there are very few stocked by anybody in the USA. When I needed four in Pensacola, the dealer had to order overnight from Cleveland. That makes Bokke's recent offer of a complete set of RF mounted on 124 style wheels even more appealing.
[snapback]94255[/snapback]
It seems it's not just the run-flats, I couldn't even find a tire for the car any closer than Memphis, TN. I will say that the Flat tire Monitor on the car works as it should, I had a fairly large hole ~1/4" in dia and the air was still escaping as I pulled to the side of the road. The run-flats did the job as well, the car was easy to slow from ~80 mph with the right rear tire going south in a hurry.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Epochii' date='Feb 25 2005, 10:54 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='Feb 25 2005, 10:54 AM']Anyone running the SP run flats should be aware that there are very few stocked by anybody in the USA. When I needed four in Pensacola, the dealer had to order overnight from Cleveland. That makes Bokke's recent offer of a complete set of RF mounted on 124 style wheels even more appealing.
[snapback]94255[/snapback]
It seems it's not just the run-flats, I couldn't even find a tire for the car any closer than Memphis, TN. I will say that the Flat tire Monitor on the car works as it should, I had a fairly large hole ~1/4" in dia and the air was still escaping as I pulled to the side of the road. The run-flats did the job as well, the car was easy to slow from ~80 mph with the right rear tire going south in a hurry.
[snapback]94272[/snapback]
[/quote]
Has anybody tried TIRE RACK for Run Flats?
vern
Old 02-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Epochii' date='Feb 25 2005, 06:33 AM
Just a vent to blow off a little steam.? I recently traveled back to my home town in Southeast Mo. 3000 miles on my new 545i with the sport package. (i.e. Dunlop run flats) and wouldn't you know, "Ding" Flat tire monitor, "Tire puncture."? This happened on a Saturday and FYI there are no replacement tires in a 220 mile radius of South East Mo.? I had the great pleasure of a return trip to Atlanta on the donut spare ~550 miles.? I will say that my dealer was awsome in the process, I gave them a call and they tried to help find a tire, realized one wasn't available and had a loaner ready when I hit Atl, they fixed the tire the next day, replaced the window motor due to an intermittent trap notice I had mentioned and had me ready to go the next morning.? After all the problems we read about, I just wanted to let people know that I love this car and my dealer / service dept. seem to be on the ball.? Maybe I just got lucky.

EpochII
[snapback]94219[/snapback]
Epochii, saw your other post over on Roadfly, any resolution to the ticking noise?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

Vern

I tried Tire Rack for the Dunlop RF's 2 weeks ago and all warehouses were on back order with no ship date. I tried locally here in LA and no luck. I found 2 used on ebay and got them for $200. They arrived last week and they are practically new. Great deal! I haven't experienced any road noise from these tires. I love them. I currently have 40K miles on my 530.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Feb 25 2005, 02:44 PM
[quote name='Epochii' date='Feb 25 2005, 06:33 AM']Just a vent to blow off a little steam.? I recently traveled back to my home town in Southeast Mo. 3000 miles on my new 545i with the sport package. (i.e. Dunlop run flats) and wouldn't you know, "Ding" Flat tire monitor, "Tire puncture."? This happened on a Saturday and FYI there are no replacement tires in a 220 mile radius of South East Mo.? I had the great pleasure of a return trip to Atlanta on the donut spare ~550 miles.? I will say that my dealer was awsome in the process, I gave them a call and they tried to help find a tire, realized one wasn't available and had a loaner ready when I hit Atl, they fixed the tire the next day, replaced the window motor due to an intermittent trap notice I had mentioned and had me ready to go the next morning.? After all the problems we read about, I just wanted to let people know that I love this car and my dealer / service dept. seem to be on the ball.? Maybe I just got lucky.

EpochII
[snapback]94219[/snapback]
Epochii, saw your other post over on Roadfly, any resolution to the ticking noise?
[snapback]94344[/snapback]
[/quote]

kscarrol,

Funny I wasn't sure it posted, I can't see it on the e60 forum, no clue why. The ticking / knock is still not resolved. My SA says it is normal and I had posted here earlier as a guest. It's funny that the post showed up after you asked. I went outside and took a short video of the noise with my digital camera, the quality is good but I'm not sure how to link the file. It seems it is too large for the reply file attachment. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Flat Tire Nightmare