E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

flap behind the kidney grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the new 5 Series will have a similar automatic flap system to control temperatures and reduce drag:
Efficiency really is the name of the game with the new 5 Series. The car has been designed to be more frugal while performing better at the same time. Witness, for example, the first-ever application of electric power steering in a BMW. As with other accessories, it engages itself only when needed, freeing up engine power. Meanwhile, a smart alternator charges only on deceleration and braking to recover power rather than run constantly and drag on the engine. Active cooling flaps behind the kidney grilles, meanwhile, keep temperature optimal and reduce drag whenever possible.
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0eUwKMsrN
Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Efficient Dynamics....
Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

It there on the early build E60's to help the engine reaching engine temperature fast AND to direct the air to the oil cooler when you drive at high speed.

And as previous said: Search is your friend.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

BMW's DWS tells the following:

Radiator shutter

The radiator shutter seals off the engine compartment from the outside and directs the cooling air under the engine.

When the vehicle is driven, the closed radiator shutter reduces the warm-up phase of the engine. In higher road speed ranges, this improves the CW value of the vehicle. This saves fuel and thus has an advantageous effect on the emissions. Furthermore, the faster heating of the coolant means that the full heat output of the vehicle can be called up earlier.

Components

* Radiator shutter
* Solenoid switch

Function

With the ignition off or in the event of a break in the activation cable, the radiator shutter is not locked. After engine start-up, the engine control unit switches the solenoid switch to earth and thus closes prevents the radiator shutter from opening.

When one or more of the following conditions exist when the vehicle is being driven, the magnetic lock for the radiator shutter is deactivated.

* Coolant temperature > 90°C
* Gearbox fluid temperature > 110°C
* Engine oil temperature > 130°C
* Power to map thermostat > 90% (only DME)
* Electric fan active

Fault code memory entries

If there is an electrical fault in the assembly, the radiator blind lock is deactivated.

The radiator shutter lock is also deactivated if a defect is detected at the coolant-temperature sensor or electric fan.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Members

Hi,

I own e60 in Indonesia too, this flap not work automatically. This flap is use for air conditioner to take air from outside or inside only. Its control button located above the air conditioner button.

I believe this flap only exist on e60 in Asia or South East Asia.

Terima Kasih,

R.S.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by limbows
yes its true, but i want to put RPI scoop in there hehe..
anyone know/had experience in removing the flaps??
You have to take the front bumper off and remove the flap in order to fit the RPI scoop.
You will also need to cut some plastic bits in order to get the scoop fitted aswell
Old 02-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by T3LU_03
Hi,

I own e60 in Indonesia too, this flap not work automatically. This flap is use for air conditioner to take air from outside or inside only. Its control button located above the air conditioner button.

Terima Kasih,

R.S.
That is absolutely not true. Read the WDS document above.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by T3LU_03
Hi,

Terima Kasih,

R.S.
I think the flap is designed for the cold weather countries which to keep the engine warm and prevent snow gets into the engine.
I removed mine when fitting the RPI scoop and the car feels alot faster as it can breath more fresh air than before.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by keith84_uk
I think the flap is designed for the cold weather countries which to keep the engine warm and prevent snow gets into the engine.
I removed mine when fitting the RPI scoop and the car feels alot faster as it can breath more fresh air than before.
No!

No!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E46 E60

Originally Posted by keith84_uk
You have to take the front bumper off and remove the flap in order to fit the RPI scoop.
You will also need to cut some plastic bits in order to get the scoop fitted aswell

is there any wires/something electrical connected to it?
does it send eror to the idrive???
tomorrow i will remove the bumper to fit an mtech kit..
i will try to remove the flap...

Quick Reply: flap behind the kidney grill