E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First time driving a BMW today... Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SMG all the way. You think that you will be using auto 70% of the time... With bluetooth, HUD, voice nav, you will not be able to get the smile off your face and you will be shifting like mad. I now manually shift SMG 100% of the time unless I am eating which is not often in this car.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by sspyder' date='Feb 19 2005, 08:49 PM
Heh, as I read around more, seems like u are the champion of greetings here at e60?

Thanks for posting, sounds like steptronic is what I want.? Not to mention it makes finding my car infinitely easier (not like that should be a concern when finding your ultimate driving machine : )

Now that I know I can turn HUD off if it gets distracting, I am definitely going to get it (I doubt I will ever even turn it off : )

I'm gonna rename the title of this post, I need some advice on the leasing so I can put my order in on Monday...

Excited, excited!
[snapback]92262[/snapback]
Welcome to our group, I went with steptronic and always have it in sport mode so you can down shift. Its not the same as SMG but its a great transmission. I love the sports package and logic 7 sound system. Its a great car I'm sure you will love it. When you decide on your options let us know then we can advise on lease deals. Lots of luck
Old 02-20-2005, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Love HUD but for me it was not a must-have.

Sport - yes
Comfort seats - yes
Logic 7 - yes

I could survive without Nav/Hud (and Sirius for that matter)

If you are going off the lot - then you are probably not getting comfort seats. Drive a 7 series (or just sit in one). The extra side bolstering (depending on your size) is great. Not to mention the other adjustments.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Welcome sspyder.

Don't get the SMG if you think you'll want to use automatic mode often. The Steptronic is one of the finest automatics made so you won't be dissapointed. The HUD is great. I miss it on other cars...

As far as leasing, I don't believe in putting any money down. It's always better to put zero down and make slightly higher payments. Why should someone else use your money?

No matter what, you'll love your car!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Members

We first test drove a 535d with HUD before we ordered it right away. It is never distracting, it seems to float right above at the end of the hood. When you decide to buy a car with a strong engine like the 545i or 535d (in europe ) then it really is a must have. You're so quick at the higher speeds so that you can only be sure with a assuring look at the speed o meter in the HUD. This much more convenient and save than a distracting look down through the steering wheel. :'(

Have fun!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Contributors

welcome sspyder
Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Members

Thanks to everyone for their posts (and I feel very, very welcome here : )

Pretty sure I am going to go with the Steptronic, I can still shift aggresively when I want to go insane fast... I'd love to drive an SMG b4 I lease but I dunno how much effort/time I am willing to put into tracking one down.

HUD for sure, looks like its all positives on that one

Comfort Seats???? Any more opinions on this option? Do any of you know if the comfort seats are actually more comfortable or just more adjustable? If I checked out the comfort seats in a 7 series would it be the same as the 5?

I am going to counter offer my dealer $2500 down w/ fees, $778 a month... I don't really expect him to go for it, but hopefully his rebuttal will be below $800 which seems to be a good number to be below for a $65k 545i

Once again, thanks everybody... Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute my thoughts & opinions on my e60 experiences
Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 PM

just got back from the dealer... 2005 545i with sport and sound package, window shades, satellite radio, navigation... sticker was 64,340....

$750/month for 36 months, 15k miles per year with $5k due at signing.....

seems like a decent deal....
Old 02-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by sspyder' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:30 PM
Comfort Seats????? Any more opinions on this option? Do any of you know if the comfort seats are actually more comfortable or just more adjustable?? If I checked out the comfort seats in a 7 series would it be the same as the 5?
[snapback]92495[/snapback]
7 and 5 series use the same comfort seats. They are both, more adjustable and more comfortable.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

I love my SMG, but i was looking for a different experience with this car. If you are looking to drive 70% in auto, DEFINITELY get the Step. The auto mode is ok in SMG, but it is definitely not as smoothe as the Step.

You ideally shouldn't put any money down on the lease...you lose the money if you get in an accident and total the car

Quick Reply: First time driving a BMW today... Wow!