E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First time driving a BMW today... Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So business has been poppin' and my car was totalled a few days ago
Time to get a new car! I test drove a 530i and 545i, there's really no doubt that the v8 is worth every penny.

Some of the other options are tough calls and I wanted to see what you guys thought...

SMG vs. Steptronic - My previous car was automatic, and most the time, this is what I would want to do. But, the 545 is such a joy to drive I can see myself just cruising quite often. If I plan on using Auto 70% of the time, is the SMG still a good choice? To word it better, is the SMG just as good at auto as the tronic is? Any other opinions on the SMG vs. Steptronic debate? FWIW, the dealer was able to find 83 steptronics but only 3 SMGs to get shipped in from regional dealers.

Heads Up Display - I want it but I have never seen it in person. Dealer says they dont get many of them in, only custom orders. Is this worth it? I am sure its cool but does it distract your driving ever? Can you turn it off?

Lease Deals. His current offer is 2500 down plus 1500 in fees, 769 a month for 36 months, 12k miles a year. Tax included. This is in Ohio. Is this a good deal? How much lower should I try to get the numbers, especially with the 550i's in mind.

Your guy's input would be much appreciated, if you think of anything else that could help, please post!!! (thanks in advance to any that do)

I love this site. I think it might even make me want to buy a 5-series more, knowing all you guys have already done so and seem to be loving every second of it
Old 02-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, sspyder !

SMG vs. Steptronic , get Automatic/Steptronic. The SMG is a manual (!) where you shift with paddles only, and the SMG's auto programme shifts very late and hard. If you use the auto 70% the auto tranny is the better choice.

HUD is worth every cent!!! It never distracts you and yes, you can turn it off! Get it, espacially when you plan on getting nav!
Old 02-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Members

Heh, as I read around more, seems like u are the champion of greetings here at e60

Thanks for posting, sounds like steptronic is what I want. Not to mention it makes finding my car infinitely easier (not like that should be a concern when finding your ultimate driving machine : )

Now that I know I can turn HUD off if it gets distracting, I am definitely going to get it (I doubt I will ever even turn it off : )

I'm gonna rename the title of this post, I need some advice on the leasing so I can put my order in on Monday...

Excited, excited!
Old 02-19-2005, 04:07 PM

[quote name='sspyder' date='Feb 19 2005, 07:21 PM']
I have the head up display and it is great.Not only does it not distract you,it does the opposite,you can see how fast you are going without taking your eyes off the road
Old 02-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I have SMG on my M3 and this is supposed to be the best of the SMGs to date. I am fond of the SMG as the shifts are almost instantaneous, and the downshifting is really nice. But I almost never use it in the automatic mode unless I am eating. If I get a 545 or 550 it will be with Steptronic, not SMG.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by sspyder' date='Feb 20 2005, 01:49 AM
Now that I know I can turn HUD off if it gets distracting, I am definitely going to get it (I doubt I will ever even turn it off : )
[snapback]92262[/snapback]
My wife only allowed me to buy it, because she could turn it off... Guess what... She never does!! She loves it!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

The only option I regret not getting is the head up display. $1000 well spent. I agree with Iceman on the Steptronic vs SMG.

Premium sound and Nav are must haves too.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributors

I always thought that the W in BMW was for WOW.

just kidding!
Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Members

My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

Welcome sspyder-

To reinforce your decision as to Steptronic, I have it in my 530i and SMG in my M3. I really like them both (the transmissions and the cars!), but for different driving experiences. If you are going to use your 545 for cruising in auto there is NO doubt you should go with the Steptronic.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Head-up Display is a MUST.. the $1000 is well worth to get it.

IMO i would get the SMG instead.. Steptronic is not as 'fun' as SMG..

Quick Reply: First time driving a BMW today... Wow!