E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The first scar

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, it finally happened, after 11,000 miles. The first dingy.

The car hit a kerb and the wheel is damaged. Ther car was booked in already for a second treatment of the squeeking rubbers, so they are going to repair the wheel at the same time.

Guess who drove the car?!

YES!

my lovely wife!!

- I swear, it's a good thing I love her -

Does anybody know if the damage can be repaired to a good-as-new state? Or can it always be seen? I think they just take off the sharp bits and spray paint the wheel.

The alternative is to buy a new wheel.

Oh boy, am I going to thrash this X3 off road.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:23 AM
JDN
Contributors

The word in this area is that the dealer brings in an artisan who is capable of repairing to the original state. I hope your experience is as good. Do you have run flats? I believe the run flats have saved me some curb rash.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

I feel for you man, but at least it's the wife and not some crazy vandal like what happend to another forum member in some another thread.

Hey at the end of the day, it's just a car, a very nice one, but still just a car. The best thing is, cars can always be repaired

eggz
Old 08-23-2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Check around for a really good wheel shop. There should be one within a hundred miles or so, and that's where you want to go. The best shops can repair virtually anything to look like new. I had the experience a couple times with previous cars, and you definitely want to go to the best shop around. You'll be pleasantly suprised.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Ff,

I've had a few wheels repaired over the last few years by Wicked Wheels and it all depends on the guy doing the work. The first guy I used (they are franchisees) was excellent. He was a perfectionist and the finish he achieved was superb. Because of his pride in his work he is always extremely busy and is often block booked for up to 8 weeks in advance. The second franchisee didn't do nearly as good a job and rushed through the work.

It is cheapear than a new wheel but it all depends on how much of a perfectionist you are I guess.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Contributors

So the only thing they can do is sand and spray, is that right?

Are these wheels spray painted at the manufacturors, or is it the colour of the material itself?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:50 AM
JDN
Contributors

I think you are getting close to the problem area. I've heard more complaints on wheel colors not matching than anything else. That's why I would take mine to a dealer that brings someone in. Let the dealer deal with it if it doesn't match. Sure, you will pay the surcharge, but the final results will likely be more satisfactory.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

The wheel repair process involves machining down the rim of your alloy which sounds much more severe than it is. In extreme damage cases where a chunk of the rim is missing they use a special filling compound to repair the damaged area. Once the rim is smooth they apply a powder coat to the surface, then bake the wheel in the oven. It is then given top coats of laquer and rebaked. This is the same process used on the wheel when first manufactured at the factory so don't be alarmed that it will be a different colour. They have the colour charts used by each manufacturer to get the correct match.

If it is only the rim that is damaged they will only repair the rim and mask off the rest of the wheel leaving the original factory finish untouched. As you have the style 124 wheel which doesn't have a rim I'm not sure how they will go about that repair. If they have to repaint the whole wheel don't be too alarmed. I have had the whole surface of the wheel refinished before and the job was superb. As I said before, it depends on the pride the guy doing it takes in his work. If you've organised it through your dealer they will have to stand by the work as JDN says.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Apparantly they let their own bodyshop deal with it.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

FF

sorry to hear the news - guess it's only a matter of time until it happens to us all.

BTW - as a suggestion you could post pics of your wife alongside said damaged wheel so that we all can pour distain on her so that she thinks twice before damaging your e60 again....just a though

jonboy

Quick Reply: The first scar